Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thump when turning on LED reader

Author Topic: Thump when turning on LED reader
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 01:59 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently installed a Kelmar reverse scan reader. When the LED is turned on, a thump can be heard in the auditorium. How can this be stopped?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the processor in non-sync or mute before turning on the reader. If your theatre has automation, it can be set up to do this automatically when you start the show. For instance, our system turns on the LED reader as soon as start is pressed, but it does not toggle the processor over to SR until the dowser opens.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that would definately work. But, is there a way to make the LED turn on gradually instead of all at once to avoid a thump?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thump is more likely from the powering up of the preamp than the led
I would sujest wireing the led powersupply with the projector motor so it is on just before the changeover switching

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2004 08:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days I almost always hook the reverse scam supply across the motor feed terminals as many do not feature an on-off terminal as C.E. does. BACP reccomends theirs always be left on, but on the Kelmar there is no way other than to power it up and down and yes, the thump can actually be from both the plus and minus supplies comming up and the bias that the LED turning on causes on the cell itself. You basically have to do it as Mike suggests......most automation used today switches the processor between non-sync and SR, or digital with sr as the analog fallback. There is no feature for bringing the LED voltage up gradually and being able to do this would not completely eliminate the thump anyway.

Mark

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-01-2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the solution for installations which use an exciter-lamp changeover system? Does it have to be reworked with a processor that can do the sound changeover electronically?

I am sure that someone here will point out that exciter-lamp changeover systems are cheesy and I agree completely, but I've had to deal with many such setups, as they are fairly common.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 09:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe CE is the only one that would allow the led only to be off but you couldn't wire a changeover control to it identically as the old excitor one

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CE does offer, upon request, their LS-40 power supply with the logic such that you can replace an exciter lamp changeover system (or an exciter lamp switched system). Just ask for the "Cardinal Mod" You will then need to connect the terminals in the rear to turn the LED on (Factory default is the reverse logic where the LED comes on unless you connect the terminals to turn it off).

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: