Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SCRATCHS...HELP!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SCRATCHS...HELP!!!
Robert Edgecomb
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Robert Edgecomb   Email Robert Edgecomb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am hoping that someone can help me. I run a 6 booth art house and I have Simplexs in all the booths. It is occurring that in at least 3 of the prints playing there are horizontal (usually alittle diagonal as well) scratches running down the middle of the film. I have no idea what would be causing this. I have a sneaking suspicion it is the lateral guide roller but I honestly don't know.

I really hope someone can help. I am doing what I can but I still don't know how to stop it.

R.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the take-up roller on your platter system?

Robert Edgecomb
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 11:52 AM      Profile for Robert Edgecomb   Email Robert Edgecomb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have checked all of the rollers to make sure that they never touch the middle of the film (which is where to scratches are, they are only in the middle).

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch the film as it goes onto the take up platter and see if the platter hits the film at any point. Also, watch all rollers during the show, if the film comes off a roller and rides on the side of a spinning roller it will cause lateral scratches.

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. If the scratches take up most of the width of the film, it is probably due to the film in contact with the takeup platter. If the scratches are in the center and are relatively narrow, it is probably due to riding on the edge of a roller. Sometimes the film will look fine upon starting, but a splice may make it ride a roller (one of the more common places is the top roller on the projector; not the feed roller, but the top roller below the feed roller.)

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That certainly sounds like a roller. Also check for debri and such on any guides on your platters centerfeed ( i don't know what kind you have, but Christies like to get filthy right in front of the rollers ).
I know this sounds stupid, but...How big are your bottom loops? I had problems with this when a new projectionist made his loops entirely too big and they'd slap the bottom of the case leaving ugly short scratches all over the place.
Good luck, let us all know what it was. I know I'm currious.

Robert Edgecomb
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Robert Edgecomb   Email Robert Edgecomb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am off to work now so I will check all of those things.

As far as the rollers go, I am not sure how a roller could do that. There are many scratches on a frame. They are horizontal but go down a line in the center.

Thanks for your help and I will see what else I can find.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check for any debris in the gate/trap assembly, as well as the intermittent sprocket.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert: Do the scratches look like a narrow "drizzle" of slashes in a straight line, like this:

\
\
\
\
\
\

About that wide, too? What kind of platters are you using? I had this problem on Strong platters with their cheap little bearing rollers. If the bearings aren't good or rusted (as was the case with this horrid booth I was at) then it could be that the roller isn't spinning as fast as it should, dragging on the film just enough. (You'd hear the roller "buzzing" just a bit) I noticed those rollers aren't bevled inward too well, either. But you said you checked all the rollers, so I'm confused.

Don't know if it was this or something else, but replacing that roller made the "drizzle" scratches go away on that house.

I see these kinds of scratches on a lot of used prints we get (and reject!) second run. I'm curious as to how they're caused?

=TMP=

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-25-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check for crack in the rubber damping roller on the sound gate. If cracked bad enough they can leave horizontal sinch marks on the middle of the film.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a platter scratch to me. I would institute a program whereby the operator must check each roller after they start the film and sign off a sheet that you have done so. Or have the manager check the projectionist's thread after starting.

Even our very experienced manager missed a roller on our platter's take-up and Ky caught it and called him back up to correct it. Thankfully no damage was done to the film.

You should never walk past a platter without visually checking it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-25-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often it is caused by the ilm riding up on the flange of a roller and the film then folds slightly against the spinning roller leaving the marks
all it takes is one roller misthreaded once for it to happen

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-25-2004 04:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Either a "platter scratch" or mispositioned roller.

Platter scratches are caused by the rotating takeup platter rubbing across the surface of the film --- be sure the film is properly guided onto the platter without it "flattening out" against the rotating platter surface.

Or the film rode up onto the flange of a roller. Check all rollers to be sure they are positioned properly, so the film doesn't tend to ride up on one side.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-25-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem with out Strong Alpha platter system where the last roller on the path to the take up platter, while spinning fine, would not swivel freely. So the film would stay on the roller perfectly fine, and the roller would spin perfectly fine, but it always pointed toward the center of the print directly at the edge of the take up ring, and wouldn't swivel out as the print got bigger. This caused the film to start to take a weird twist coming out of that roller on its way to the rest of the print on the take up platter. That twist caused the film to touch - and eventually get scratched by - the take up platter.

Keep checking and re-checking that roller while the film is running, but DON'T TOUCH IT! Just watch and see what happens. Especially towards the end of the film. Of course you have to check that roller on all three (or however many disks you have) platters.

There aren't many places where something runs perpendicular to the film path across the base side of the film... which is what's required to create a horizontal or diagonal scratch. That's why everyone keeps saying to look there.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Mark

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, are these scratches happening when/after the films play or is it possible they are being scratched when loading film on the platter from the make-up table? I once found someone was so worried about film riding too high on the center ring that they had dragged it across the edge of the platter loading it and caused the type of scratches you describe. It was only on the prints this specific person had put together.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: