Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Portable 16mm Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Portable 16mm Projector
Simon Nakonechny
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 10:30 AM      Profile for Simon Nakonechny   Email Simon Nakonechny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm involved with exhibitions at a Filmmaking Coop here in Canada and we are looking for advice on the purchase of a 16mm projector. It has to be reasonably portable as we often have screenings outside the organization's main space. We would of course prefer to buy new but I haven't been able to find any manufacturers that still manufacture portable 16mm projectors. Quality and durability are the top concerns here as well as ease of repair. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be able to find used 16MM equipment from your local school district. They may have some Bell and Howel stuff sitting around.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll want to get a nice EIKI or an ELMO. Avoid anything that autoshreds, errr.. autoloads.

danny

Simon Nakonechny
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 11:38 AM      Profile for Simon Nakonechny   Email Simon Nakonechny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We already have some old Bell and Howells but were hoping to purchase something more high-quality. Most of the prints we screen are rare or archival so price is not really a factor.

Simon

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 12:13 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would advise purchasing Eiki portable projectors. Like Dan said, avaid anything that has an autoload mechanism. Slotload Eikis run very well, and are quite easy on the film. If you can find some, get the portable 550w xenon models(EX-550) or the 350 (ex-350). They are fantastic machines. Eiki doesn't advertise that they still manufacture 16mm projectors, but I believe they will make them to order. Elmo will, too. New projectors are really priced sky high. The Xenon Eikis are not easy to find, but they do pop up on Ebay and elsewhere from time to time.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-22-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed totally on a good condition 1970s or 80s vintage Eiki. The gate claws are very gentle on slightly shrunk acetate stock, keeping the film path clean is dead easy and routine maintenance is simple. Identifying a source of spare belts, bulbs (especially exciter bulbs) and the like may be a pain, though. If you can find a source of reasonably cheap ex-school machines it might be worth considering getting two or three and using the spares for spare parts.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While gate claws are very gentle on slightly shrunk acetate stock, the rest of the Eiki may not be.
I do know of an Elmo for sale. Not too portable at 243 pounds though.

Dennis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-22-2004 01:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, Elmos tend to be gentler on film than Eikis. Both are good choices, though.

Leo--are exciter bulbs really that hard to find? I've never had problems ordering from Bulb Direct....

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try contacting Robert Film Service in St. Laurent, Quebec. (514) 337-4956. He specializes in 16mm. I bought a rebuilt 70s Eiki xenon from him. I might consider selling it. It has been modified to run 6,000 ft reels. If you want details e-mail me.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-22-2004 05:16 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott - over here you often have to 'phone or e-mail round quite a few photography shops, or order from continental Europe to get exciters for most 16mm portables. Same for belts.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-22-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ELMO is officially out of the 16mm business. So no, they will not special order them. Like with 8mm, they foolishly also nixed their 16mm telecine when they canned their last projector (the CX-350) so...as the 16mm market dries up, they killed off a future business of selling telecines so one could project their 16mm via video projector (or dupe them to another medium).

Steve

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-22-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, the market for 16mm camera negative film is growing, often preferred to video origination: [Smile]

http://www.kodak.com/go/16mm

quote:
Creatively, technologically, and economically, our state-of-the-art stocks deliver greater flexibility, and control than ever before. Discover why 16 mm film is the perfect choice for your next project.

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/news/nflFilms.shtml

quote:
NFL Films operates a 200,000-square foot facility in New York, housing state-of-the-art television and motion picture studios. The NFL Films archive is the largest sports film library in the world with over 100 million feet of 16 mm film.

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/news/nab2004breakthroughsP.shtml

quote:
Part of the demonstration includes a test produced by NFL FILMS that compares Super 16 film and digital images displayed on HD monitors. The demonstration includes side-by-side comparisons that run the gamut of production situations captured with film and high-definition, NTSC and PAL format video cameras. The test scenarios include interior and exterior dramas, nature and action sequences.

"This exhibit provides convincing evidence that content produced in Super 16 format will satisfy the highest expectations for future HD display," says Maryann Mendel, product manager for the Kodak Entertainment Imaging division. "Advances in films, cameras and postproduction technologies are fueling a renaissance in the use of Super 16 mm film. Budget-conscious filmmakers are opting for the creative flexibility and affordability of the format."

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 08:49 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fumeo makes a good claw driven 16mm projector that i very gentle on film with an internal xenon powersupply

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemec of Turin Italy make several models of portable and theatre style 16mm in addition to portable 35mm projectors.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,
One 16mm projector I would recommend is the Japanese made Hokushin , It has a very good autoloading function , or can be manually loaded.

The Bell & Howell were a great projector , but the main drive gear is nylon over aluminum core and I have found , with temperature changes over time , the nylon gear will split in two. I have discovered many with this problem , replacement gears are available , but what a job it is replacing them!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: