Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » V5 tourelle that doesn't spin

Author Topic: V5 tourelle that doesn't spin
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

My problem: V5 consolle 7040 that sometimes (often!) doesn't change lens. The tourelle locking mechanism is mechanical locked and the magnet has no enough strenght to unlock it and let the motor spin the turret and I have to push the magnet's button by hand.
The fun thing is that if I turn off the projector and I sping by hand the turret the locking mechanism is always free and has no signs of resistance also if I rotate the turret with strenght.

To me seems a mechanical problem and not an electric problem. The space between the turret and the holder's has been checked and are normal.

I realize that it is not easy to explain, but has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-14-2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be that the solinoid that operates the locking mechanism isn't turning off which would explain why it is free when the system is off
just a thought

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no the solenoid works properly, it just doesn't have the strenght to unlock the mechanism that lock the turret.

I can feel the resistance when I operate the mechanism by hand (without solenoid installed for test)

Bye
A

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2004 12:11 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a Manual Turet [Smile]

It might be the actual turret. If you have another projector exactly the same, go a bit early and exchange it with another. That will narrow down the problem solving.

D

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered again this thread just to explain my "solution" and to discuss it with you.

So, I found that the problem was caused entirely by the locking mechanism that was so locked that the solenoid does not have the necessary strenght to unlock it.

I made all type of tests, I found that the microswitch that stops the motor is very late on the tourelle so the motor continues to spin for a 1/4 before stopping when the locking mechanism is already engaged. I found that on some projectors the belt slip on the tourelle, on some other ones the belt slips on the motor gear, on some other ones... the belt does not slip...

I was teached to set the belt tension very high, higher than the maltese-shutter belt. I found that every projectors has to be set in different way instead.
I checked "by hand" the strenght of each tourelle when moving. I found that I have projectors where to have a "regular" strenght (that permits the tourelle to spin with no problems but no more) the belt has to be very tight, other ones where to have the same strenght the belt can stay muuuuch less tighthen. I believe that this is caused by belt wear or similar...

So I adjusted the tension of every tourelle so that the strenght of the spin is high enough to terminate the job but no more.

The problem disappeared on all machines.

What do you think?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: