Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How much tape to use to secure the end of a print? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How much tape to use to secure the end of a print?
Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 09:11 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the discussion on the "Technicolor to stop using reel bands" thread......

I'm curious...what could be considered the minumum acceptable length of tape to secure the end of a film before shipping?

When I personally break down film-festival prints (typically shipped on cores), I secure the print with a fresh seven or eight inch (about 18 to 20 cm) length of Artist's Tape. Do I feel like I'm wasting tape? Sometimes. Is it worth it? Absolutely! It's only about 50 cents or so (US) per print, but I get the impression that even fifty cents of cheap insurance is too much for some people. I'd be interested in what the consensus is.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only use about an inch when I'm breaking down a print

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-12-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few inches is what I use. 3 or 4 seems to be enough, but the person who receives it might not think so. It would be nice to know if the next theater received the print in the same condition as I sent it out. I guess the only way I'll find out if I put enough, is if my theater comes up on the Outing Bad Film Handlers thread.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use probably nine or ten inches of permacel tape to secure the film.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using artist tape forever. What is this permacel tape? Is it a common tape used in other settings? Where do you get it?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 11:02 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Permacel Tape

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to be nice to the next person who receives the print, leave a pull tab. Bend over the last 1/4 inch of tape so that the sticky sides stick to each other. This makes it easier to remove the tape from the film. I like to have the pull tab on the loose end of the film, so that as you pull the tape off the film, it comes off the loose end, then off the "turn" of the film still on the reel. That way you do not have to fight to get the tape off the loose end of the film.

I find that 3 to 4 inches of tape is enough.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use about 3-4 inches of new artist tape. If you use just an inch of tape you are asking for trouble. Its like using a piece of used tape. With those cans bouncing along in hot trucks going back to the depot. The ends are going to come loose to the next theatre. Film Handling Done Wrong [thumbsdown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pull tab, while it is polite, just encourages re-use of the tape, which is bad. When opening a print, I remove the tape and toss it. When the film is shipped out, it gets a NEW piece of tape.

If the print is going to be shipped, one inch of tape is NOT enough unless you are using prime quality tape, and maybe not even then. If you're using the cheapest tape you can buy, three or four inches is needed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is too many people don't give a flip about what happens to the print after it leaves their theater and have no concept of just how much banging around happens once the cans leave their premesis. This is why rolls of film that are not perfectly tightwound from shitty platters (Strong, etc) end up getting edge-damaged and cinch scratched in transit back to the depot. Also super cheap people who only put an inch or two of tape (or worse REUSE the tape) are also causing damage because the tape DOES come loose!

Minimum 4 inches, 6 preferred, 8 is excellent. Anyone who uses 2 inches or less should be packed in a shipping can and shipped across the country on an Airborne truck to see how well they hold together.

Edit - I always put a pull tab on the tape not only for convenience for the next guy, but also because I see most people when there is not a pull tab simply grab the film and break the tape. While this isn't always necessarily bad, I have received prints before that had tape on tape where the tape "underneath" that wasn't removed came loose. Let's face it, if the next guy doesn't care, he is going to reuse that tape anyway. And by all means the pull tab goes on the end of the film, not one wrap around the reel! When the pull tab is pulled, the tape should pull completely off of the film, not halfway pull off leaving the tape still attached to the tip end. [Mad]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Brad! A little harsh there, are we? [Smile]

Seriously, I DO care about what happens to the film after it leaves the theater, but I guess I don't have any concept of how badly they are banged around. I have always used an inch or two. Why exactly is it necessary to use four to eight inches? I guess what I'm not understanding here is if you use new tape (which I do), why is it in danger of coming loose if you use less that four inches?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not being harsh at all. Either do the job right or get the hell out of the booth.

I've seen prints get shipped across the country only to arrive as spaghetti because the tape came loose...good tape, not cheap masking tape either. In talking to the depots, this is a VERY COMMON problem.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-12-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Ken has never received a print that the tape came off, or never had any to begin with.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That guess is correct! [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Ken, fair enough. You'll just have to trust us. From now on please use a fresh piece of tape no less than 4 inches long. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: