Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UCF Arena converted into temporary Theater thanks to Regal

Author Topic: UCF Arena converted into temporary Theater thanks to Regal
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this doesn't classify as a "Passion" thread, since I'm trying to concentrate more on the technical aspects rather than the content to be shown. Here's the story:

---
Link to the Story
Free film screening a passionate gift

Donation grants unique opportunity for arena showing
By Kimberly Calhoun
Published: Thursday, April 8, 2004

Tomorrow's free screening of The Passion of the Christ at the UCF Arena is a Good Friday "miracle" brought about by a campus club's desire to show director Mel Gibson's controversial film and the $40,000 gift from two Christian benefactors to fund it.

About 3,250 people will get to see the film at 8 p.m. tomorrow, thanks to the donation by Ray and Mary Berryman of Orlando. Campus Crusade for Christ organized the event.

The screening is a special arrangement between New Market Films, the distributor of the movie, and Regal Cinemas, which gave UCF access to the film. Campus Crusade for Christ will host the event.

Tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

A personal connection to Mel Gibson may have helped get the film to campus. Gibson, who is friends with the widow of Campus Crusade's founder, spoke with her about the film during his time in town, when 5,000 clergymen saw the film in January. The plan to have a screening was hatched - including a possible personal appearance by Gibson.

Dan Dillard, UCF Campus Crusade director, helped organize the effort, making phone calls to get money for the event, expected to cost $40,000, and get a copy of the movie.

The Student Government Association provided $1,000, but the "miracle funding," as Dillard calls it, came from Orlando donors Ray and Mary Berryman, members of the "History's Handful" group of philanthropists who have pledged to donate $1 million in their lifetimes to Campus Crusade. The couple originally offered Dillard $10,000 but changed their offer to $40,000 after Dillard explained how the money would be used.

"It took several minutes to explain how we would spend $40,000 on flip books, sound, lighting, staging, T-shirts, et cetera," Dillard said. "Then Mr. Berryman turned to his wife Mary and asked, 'What do you think we should do?' She replied, 'We should do it all.'"

Trying to get a print of The Passion, Dillard called New Market Films, Regal Cinemas and Swank Motion Pictures. "I spent 12 hours a day on the phone for three days trying to secure a print of The Passion, Dillard said. "I was told many times that it was impossible to get a print just when I was calling switchboards, receptionists and secretaries to learn which executives I should approach with our outlandish request that they send us a print of The Passion of the Christ to show to students on campus."

After Dillard's detailed explanation of the planned event, and hours on the phone with company executives, Mike Pade of Regal Cinemas agreed to send Dillard a print of The Passion with the expectation that Dillard pay in advance for 1,500 viewers and will pay for any viewers over 1,500. Campus Crusade is paying $5.50 for each person that sees the film.

The event is a one-time-only deal, Dillard said. "Mike Pade contacted me and basically said 'We've never done this before. We will not do it again, and I cannot believe we are doing it now. We are sending you a print for Good Friday at UCF, because the New Market guys want us to do it."

The violent retelling of the biblical demise of Christ has already earned more than $330 million in sales in its first five weeks in release, thanks in part to bulk ticket sales to church groups. Dillard calls the Friday screening at UCF a miracle.

"This may be the first time in history that a movie still in theatrical run has ever been sent to anyone to be used for an out-of-cinema screening," Dillard said. "The funding, the print, the venue - they have all been miracles."

The Arena will be converted to accommodate a 50-foot-by-27-foot movie screen, positioned on one side of the main floor. This change in setup has cut the seating capacity from an earlier advertised 5,000. Half of the bleachers will be folded away to make room for the screen, with the audience seated on the basketball court and bleachers on the opposite side. Dolby Digital surround sound will also be installed for the screening.

"We are converting the Arena into a virtual movie theater for 3,000 people," Dillard said.

The possibility of showing The Passion at UCF has been in the minds of the Campus Crusade staff and UCF students since last year when rumors circulated that Mel Gibson was going to make a movie about Jesus, Dillard said.

"We knew we wanted The Passion at UCF once rumors were more than confirmed with rapid momentous news early this year that the movie was biblically sound ..." Dillard said. "We were not going to rest until we got the movie on campus.

"We had no idea of the miracles required to do so," he added.

Campus Crusade had planned to show The Passion in the Student Union's Pegasus Ballroom, where the group has its regular Thursday-night meetings. When John Hitt, the president of UCF, asked the group to release their reservations for two nights, they realized they would have to find another location to show the movie. Dillard said the challenge of relocating turned into a blessing when Hitt rented the Arena for the group and they decided to use it to show The Passion.

Several Christian campus ministries are working together to advertise for the event. Members of Campus Crusade handed out 7,000 flyers to UCF students leaving Universal Islands of Adventure last weekend and a sign advertising The Passion is at the University Boulevard entrance to UCF. Members of Christian campus ministries have also distributed door hangers and are talking to their friends about the movie to promote the event.

This is the second major screening of the event for UCF students. On March 4 a group of 380 fraternity and sorority members led by the Alpha Tao Omega fraternity saw the film at the Regal Cinemas Waterford Lakes theater.

Dillard said students leaving that screening were speechless. He expects a similar response Friday. "When you're done seeing the movie, it's an attitude of somber silence," Dillard said. "People leave very pensive. That's been the same nationwide."

He added that the movie shocked him too - "I saw the movie and I've been a Christian for years and I wasn't able to put together a coherent sentence after seeing it. It's breathtaking."

For students who have questions after the film, he's hoping members of the area clergy can field questions, but he's also hoping students talk to each other about the film. Those who still need guidance can opt to attend one of Campus Crusade's weekly meetings. Attendance at the hour-long discussions varies from 200 to 400 people, Dillard said, but any student, regardless of religious involvement, is welcome. The group will hold its final meeting of the semester at 7:30 p.m. April 15 in the Student Union Pegasus Ballroom.

The Friday viewing of The Passion of the Christ will be the final portion of Undivided, an event hosted by about 10 of the Christian campus ministries. Undivided began last Thursday with a speech by Mark Cahill, author of One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven. It continues with 24 hours of prayer at UCF's free speech area from 6 p.m. Wednesday to 6 p.m. Thursday, and will end Friday night.

Christian Campus Fellowship's Matt Boden, who has been involved with some of the planning for Undivided, said he hopes people will see The Passion and have their misconceptions about Christianity and Christ dispelled, and that Christian students will be available to answer questions for those who are confused by the movie.

Skip Moedinger, a member of the planning committee for Undivided, said he hopes the movie will cause people to think about who Jesus is.

"Our goals are that people will fall in love with Jesus, that they will have so many questions that they'll have to seek answers, that they will know clearly where to go and that we can give back to the university with this excellent free event," Dillard said.

----

Thoughts? I'm going to attend to see the technical aesthetics. I can imagine how horrible this will sound shown on a basketball court. At least they're showing it on film, though.

But all this talk about "This is the first time a title in theatrical release is shown for free" and "The first time in history" blah blah blah... I just think the kid didn't know who to call.

But for $40,000? Rediculous. The school could have bought its own 35mm projector and equipped one of the many 300+ seat auditoriums we have peppered around campus. But that would make too much sense.

I'll take pics and let you know how it goes.

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: