Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor to stop using reel bands (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Technicolor to stop using reel bands
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got this fax from Technicolor.

Attention: Theatre Managers and Projectionists

Technicolor will no longer be using reel bands to secure prints, and will instead use a specialized tape which has become the industry standard.
This change will be effective in mid-June.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-08-2004 12:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably thanks to all the idiots who couldn't be bothered to reattach the reel bands properly when shipping out prints. [Mad]

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody seen the new "industry standard" tape? Does it cover and protect the same surface area as a reel band?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-08-2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the new tape be able to be used to tape the other end of the head or tail without leaving residue from regular tape, or having to put a one-sided splice that has to be peeled off later.

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just talked to Technicolor Customer Service. They said this is a "cost-effective thing" and that it will just be a little piece of white tape, similar to what is often used now to tape the end of the film to the reel band. It will begin when their current inventory of reel bands is depleted, which they estimate as mid-June.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is about time. I have never had damge on an ETS print because it didn't have a paper band around it. I dont see how they really help with anything, especially considering that half of the time the bands come loose in the cans.

If you ask me the paper bands are one of those "we care enough to make it look like we care when we really dont" kind of things. It would be much more effective to just not have the cardboard liners in the cans, they are the cause of most of the dirt inside the can anyway.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original "old" style reel bands that were in use up until the 1980's were great, made out of a thick paper material and strong rivets for the string. They were ideal for reuse without leaving any sticky tape residue on the film. The new reel bands that are in use today are junk, we are better off without them.

/Mitchell

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the reel bands years ago when they were made with better quality. Strings were better and the fasteners didn't fall off when you tried to re-attach them. They also wrote the information in the places it was supposed to go. Now they just put the bands on there and slap a sticker on it that is usually placed over the end of the bands were the string attaches and laps over the side touching the edges of the film leaving sticky goo on the edges. In my opinion if you can't use the bands the way they were supposed to be used then good ridence to them all.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are paper reel bands acid free? I can imagine that deteriorating paper would off-gas and cause the film to deteriorate faster. Or, are they supposed to be taken off when the film is in storage?

I guess it would be a "Hobson's Choice", no?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-08-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently found an old damaged reel of Ice Pirates in our storage room. It had an older reel band around it, and it was still in pretty good condition.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris and Mitchell, obviously you guys have yet to see the latest type of TES reel bands. They are actually better than the old style cardboard bands (they're made from a better quality of paper) and the string is nice and thick just like the old style.

Since they started using these newer bands, the problem of film falling off the reels in shipments has disappeared, at least for us. Going back to a "little piece of tape" is a recipe for disaster. The piece of tape will be good for ONE use and after that the film will be cascading all over the place, just like it used to, because people will be too lazy/cheap/stupid to put a new, LONG piece of tape on.

This is bad news. Just when I thought TES was actually listening to the film community, they have proved me wrong.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. It will save us from taking the trash out of the booth more often. [evil]

Honestly, I didn't see the point of them anyway. Most of the time, the leader was taped to the reel band anyway leaving the catastrophic "sticky residue" that the customers will see when you project the leader.

Or better yet, the bands carefully and meticulously protected the oil-soaked, masking taped and emulsion scratched print, (Integrity Inspected, of course) when it was shipped to sub-run theaters. I began to think they put new reel bands on to actually make you think, "Hey! We got a decent print for once."

Now if we can get DTS to quit sending discs in shattered DVD cases and go back to the strong half-reels, we'll be set.

=TMP=

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 07:27 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This news doesn't bother me in the least. Just today I received one of those precious orange cans with the string hanging out. Sure enough, upon opening it up I discovered those strings had been torn off the bands.

On another print, one of the bands was placed on backwards (print side down) and fastened with tape. That's not the first time it's happened, either. Obviously, some of the folks who ship these prints don't give a [bs] as long as they get the job done fast.

I've also had instances where the string is run through the core. [Eek!]

What's the sence in having reel bands if they come damaged on brand new prints?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always hated the TES reel bands. This is a good thing.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-08-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when UA did this years ago? The "tape" was a sheet of labels that didn't stick well anyway, so I refused to waste my time with them. Everyone just stuck the reels back in the can with nothing on them.

I agree, the Technicolor bands were too thin, they were made of the wrong material, and the strings were just useless thread -- what were they thinking?!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: