Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound problems USL JS105/195 processor

Author Topic: Sound problems USL JS105/195 processor
Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 02:58 AM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
I have been a bit stumped with a recent sound problem in an auditorium. The sound processor in it is the JS 105/195 by USL, 2x JBL CS-400 amps (for left, center, right and surround) and one JBL CS-800 for the subwoofer. The left, surround and subs weren't working all of a sudden after a show Friday night, so I went through a few simple things just for reassurance, like:
buzz track - perfect
dolby tone - perfect
moved right channel 1/3 octave EQ card (model JEQ-10) to the left channel- left channel suddenly worked.
Tried two brand new JEQ-10's in the right and left channel and they did not work. The center EQ card works in every slot as well, but after trying 5 different known-good EQ cards in every channel slot I gave up trying to swap cards.

Surrounds- tried new surround EQ cards (3 spares)- still did not work. I tested them out by plugging the sound imput from another channel that was working into them and they worked.

I am getting good readings for every speaker and when I have either the original left or center EQ card in a channel slot that channel will play pink noise- so the amps and speakers are fine. I checked the resistance just in case and it verifies good speakers as well. The cables from the back panel of the JS 105/195 to the amps are good- (near 0 ohms).
Any comments or questions will be greatly appreciated! I possibly forgot to mention some bits of information so please ask away.

EDIT: forgot to add that I tried new preamp/matrix/format and powersupplies all to no avail.

[ 04-05-2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Chris Liczbinski ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2004 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ots probably a bad format card. It is the most failure prone card that Ultra designed! It could simply be a dirty bypass switch, rip out and jumper it!, or the failure of some part. I've seen so may different modes of failure on these that I couldn't begin to list em all. One recent failure actually swapped two of the channels around [Eek!] . I believe that all audio channels are routed through it twice. You can also bypass the output relays on the EQ cards as they are also prone to failure.

Hope some of this helps.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 08:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Format board is the most likely
Is there a digital adapter hooked up to it and is it a problem for both analouge and digital and nonsync
If there is no digital adapter try connecting a external source to the digital input with a known signal and see if it flows through
Also I presume that you have a monitor that allows you to verify that the signal is not coming out of the processor and it isn't a dead amp or a wireing problem

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 09:10 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it could be possable that you have a bad backplane mother board.

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, thank you for the advice and quick responce!
I tried two different format cards from other processors that were known to function in all channels- and it was a no-go.

Gordon- I do not have a monitor but I did swap wires around to where center was connected to the surrounds, or when the right and center channels worked, hooked the right channel output to the left speaker. Every channel worked just as it should so i assumed the amps were good as was the wiring. Just as a backup I checked resistance between the backplane and the amps, then from the amps to the speakers- all tested good.
All I can think of doing now is grabbing a few other format cards and trying those. I am blessed(?) with having 14 other projectors with the same equipment (except four run DTS on the JSX-1000-same format card though).

Mark- I have not been dealing with these processors or cards for too long- is there any way you could describe how to bypass the output replays on the EQ cards? As for jumping the bypass switch- you are talking about shorting it and seeing if it helps? I would of thought that jumping it would cause it to be in bypass?

Darryl- we have a spare backplane mother board and I thought about ours being bad but with the short leads the tech left us with when installing our equipment that would be the last thing I would like to switch- only thing I don't understand is how two EQ cards will work in every channel I slide them into but any other known-good card will not work??
This has been a real head scratcher for me!

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris,

Please call 805-549-0161 and ask for either myself or Mike Ringrose. We have questions and a few suggestions.

Clint

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My expereince has been.......

1. Jumper the output relays
2. Remove and jumper the power backup switch
3. Remove and jumper the bypass switch

And you will rarely if ever have problems with it.

Mark

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the new backplane in this morning and the problem is the same as before. I tried 3 format cards (1 brand new- 2 known-good from other projectors, it didn't help anything. By looking at the schematics it is hard to understand what is happening- from the looks of it it has to be the backplane or format card.
Mark- thank you for the advice but we have a few new spare EQ cards that aren't working when they are put in and I even tried 2 from other projectors and they didn't work either so I eliminated the theory of it being the card. Yes, a real head scratcher!

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the alignment of the plastic card guides to the backplane - I had a js 195 recently that had similar problems - turned out to be bad format card AND poor card alignment - poor contact...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-06-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swap the format with another processor remeber that the sub level and nonsynce are set on that card

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-06-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Absolutely swap the format card with another!! Be sure you remember which is which though as per Gords advice. Be sure the power is off when you yank it(literally!) from its edge connectors.
I would also reccomend that you call Clint at USL as well. He's a really good guy and USL is a very good company and will do what ever it takes to get your unit working again!!

Mark

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 05:24 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Thank you for the compliments. Chris and I have spoke yesterday and today. He has swapped out the format with another working one to no avail. The lead technician, JD Rios, will be in the theatre tommorow and I will touch base with both of them then. Thanks again for the kind words. Rest assured we will get this fixed.

Clint

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 03:18 AM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound problem was fixed today by our tech -JD Rios- who by the way is a great guy and very knowledgeable! It seems the problem was a combination of a bad motherboard backplane, bad format card and powersupply. I did not have all of these 3 things switched out at once, which must have led me to still have one problem or another. It just would have been nice to take care of the problem without calling a tech in! But now I do have just a hair more experience to draw upon!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: