Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP200 Help

Author Topic: Dolby CP200 Help
William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys. I just swapped out the Dolby CP 65 with the 200 at the Paramount today and I am having a problem with the Cat 108 cards wanting to default to projector 2 in the optical format no matter which projector is selected on the front panel. Selecting anything other than projector 2 and pressing go does not change this. Any suggestion and where I can start to look a this? This is a 2 projector non automated changeover booth.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-24-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried disconnecting the lines going to the projector selection terminals (BS22/10, BS22/11, BS22/12)? It sounds like it's latched, keeping it on proj 2.

I'd also check for correct PJ1 and PJ2 jumper settings.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the cat 156 projector/format logic card. There is a link for proj initial condition select. Someone may have moved it to #2. Also check that links W101 and W102 are in there. W103 and W104 are for proj 3 and 4 and are not required. If W101 is not there it will not select proj 1.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is connected to the projector select part of the 200 as of yet. All jumpers are accounted for on the Cat 156 card.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So,what youre saying is that the control unit says you're on proj 1 but the cat 108 is on proj 2??

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct Rick. Even though the front panel shows to be on Proj 1 both the 108 and 201 cards show projector 2. And this only happens in the Optical and Mag formats

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not meaning to be insulting, but is the emergency bypass switch in the proj 2 position maybe?
If you have access to one, try swapping the cat 156. Or at least try alternately pulling the cat 201 and 108 in case one of them is holding it.
The only other thing I can think of right now is to check the states of the proj control relays on the back. Is p2 energized all the time or do they follow the front panel?
Could it be a bad JM 30 ribbon cable?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rick,

This is the first CP200 I have had to install and troubleshoot so believe me nothing is going to be insulting at this point. We did check to make sure the Operation switch was in the correct position and it was. The only thing my Brother and myself can think is the logic on the 156 card is bad. I will be swapping it and the 108 out with the CP 200 I have at the Highland 10 later today to see if the problem moves to my theatre or not. One thing my brother did mention about this iswhen the CP 200 is first booted up it does shwo everything in proj 1, but once you select the proj 2 button on teh front panel and push GO, the cards go to projector 2 and stay there no matter what you do. We end up powering the unit down to reset it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your power supply...verify all of the power rails are at their proper voltage and without ripple...More often than not, a loose screw on the filter caps in the PS1(b) will cause a rail to drop and it will give you that EXACT same problem. It can also give you the problem where you neednt preselect a format...just dial it and the format will change instantly....check the power supplies and get back to us.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Check your power supply"

Steve is correct on this one...This is also why you almost always find a CP-200 with an entire backup supply installed to the main one in the rack. Power supplies never were Dolby's forte....

Mark @ CLACO

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Guy's,

We have two PS1B installed in the daisy chain confguration as set fourth in the CP 200 manual. I measure -14.99 on the -15V output. +14.99 on the +15V output and +25.72 on the +24V output. Both power supplies were in bad shape,and still are, when we recieved them. IE fuse caps were busted and shoved inside one unit, the other has the power switch busted off and has fallen back into the unit. I got to see first hand what is happening with this unit. No matter which projector you pre select as soon as you press GO it automatically forces the Cat 108 and Cat 201 cards into projector 2. Even if I have no projector preselected and press GO it pops both cards into projector 2 mode. Will post a photo of the rack as soon as I can.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: