Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Info on assisited listening devices

Author Topic: Info on assisited listening devices
Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious about the infared headphone tranmission system. A few days ago a customer said he was unable to hear the movie through the headphones with his hearing aid in. The customer had asked me what he could do about this in the future. So I thought i'd do some research. any advice would be most helpful. I downloaded a manual from USL for the Ultra Sonic. The only information I found useful for the customer was that our system is compatible with t-coil hearing aids. However I know nothing about hearing aids. Also what about caption devices I have heard about them but could not cull much up on what i need. If someone could send me in the right direction that would be great.

"You stole my story"..

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-16-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could start by verifying your system is actually working.

You might also want to check the IR coverage in the auditorium. The IR panel might not be optimally positioned.

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have already taken that course of action. I verified all eight theaters we have, all have coverage in every section of every theater. So I know its not the equipment. The only other obvious thing I thought it could be is maybe the gentleman did not turn the volume up on the headset. So out curiousity I was just trying to find out the compatibility with the assisted device and hearing aids in general. Where should I go from here.

Thank you for the help.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be mistaken but the T-Coil system is similar to an induction loop device so needs an IR headset with a built in induction loop.

The device has in inbuilt IR receiver and a loop that the user just hangs over their neck reather than a headset.

As a matter of interest how do your chain give the headsets out. Do you require a deposit or some other security?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-16-2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually trade them their drivers license for the headset.

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 05:45 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
We do not require a deposit for our hearing devices. I guess that would mean we rely on customer courtesy in returning them. We are an 8 screen independant theater and have not had reason to require a deposit yet.

As to the T-coil system. I am not familar so your guess is as good as mine. I have however heard or the neck loop you are refering to as well as the cochlear hearing device. I will try and report my findings.

..........still waiting for the hobknobs to throw in thier two cents

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 06:52 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A far as captioning systems go I havw one screen with the DTS system. As with DTS in general it is simplicity itself to use.
It can be used in a number of ways....

With full DTS Digital sound, Captions and Audio Descriptions.
or with any one of the above in any combination.

I've used the system with Dolby Digital and DTS Captions and Audio Descriptions.... so it is quite versatile. I've not seen or heard the Dolby system so cannot comment on it.

If you already have DTS then its system is very simple to install as it just piggy backs onto the existing DTS Reader to get its timecode. Mount the IR sender in the auditorium and the rest is quite simply plug in connections.

Hope this helps.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-16-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would someone want to put an audio source that close to the microphone of a hearing aid? Seems that's really asking for trouble.

Wait a minute... what if this is one of those antique hearing aids that has the microphone running down the guy's shirt?

Naaaahhhhh....

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 06:56 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

there is no microphone involved.... it is an induction loop interface with the IR transmitter to allow older induction type hearing aids to use the IR system. here is no risk of feedback at all!

The whole thing just hangs over the neck of the user providing a localised induction loop for the users hearing aid to use.

As I don't have a hearing disability I can only say that it works but I can't comment on how effective any assisted hearing device is.
==================

I've just dug out the Williams NeckLoop which is the device I've described above. You can see the full range at their web site.... www.williamssound.com

Here is the description from the instruction card...

The neckloop is designed to magnetically couple the audio output from a Williams Sound unit into a hearing aid equipped with a telephone coil. It will also work with tape players, TV's, and any device which has a 8-16Ohm audio output through a 3.5mm jack. The Neckloop works only with hearing aids equipped with a telephone col (T-Switch)

The neckloop is a miniature audio induction loop worn around the user's neck. It uses invisible magnetic energy to transfer the electrical signal from a sound source directly into a hearing aid equipped with a telephone coil.

When the audio signal from an earphone or loudspeaker jack is fed into the Neckloop, a magnetic field is created around the Neckloop wire and user's head. As the audio signal varies, the magnetic field also varies. The varying magnetic field induces a small electrical current in the hearing aid T-Coil corresponding to the original audio signal. The T-Coil's signal is then amplified and converted to sound by the hearing aid.

The user would plug the loop into an IR receiver, hang the loop around their neck and then turn their hearing aid to the 'T' position.

Phew...

I have to admit I think its a cumbersome method as it involves three item's rather than just a headset. However, part of being disability aware is trying to make the disbaled user not stand out too much by wearing devices they may feel uncomfortable with. By using their own hearing aid, which they use day in day out, they are going to feel more comfortable and less conspicuous.

Regards.

[ 03-17-2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Ken McFall ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: