Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » white-on-white laser subtitles? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: white-on-white laser subtitles?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running Amores Perros this weekend (I'll post to FITA later...), and one of the annoying things about it is that the laser subtitles are sometimes on top of a white background, and thus are quite difficult to see.

I wondering (pretty speculatively) if there are any creative solutions to this problem, perhaps making use of the differences in the filmstock between laser-etched text and "apparent white."

In particular, I wondered if something creative could be done with polarization filters or gels to try to enhance the visible edge between the subtitles and the surrounding image?

I suppose another option would be something horrid like mixing food coloring dye with filmguard (no, I'm not going to try it).

I don't know if there's some optical way to enhance the grain (since the laser subtitles should be free of grain).

Does anyone have any experience mitigating this sort of problem?

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-13-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try stopping up the lens to decrease the depth of field.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 12:05 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would decreasing the depth of field/focus help to improve the appearance of the subtitles?

In any case, I don't have a stock of slower lenses of the right focal length...

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 12:07 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might get enough blur to make the text stand out.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would think a blurred field of white would look exactly the same as a sharp field of white. and sometimes subtitles on a white background simply cease to exist. they may be visible on the bench under reflected light (haven't tried) but on the screen they simply are not there. does the laser etch even if there is no image?

does white (clear) film have visible grain at all, if it's completely unexposed?

carl

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 08:23 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, making the assuption that the distributor cares enough, this title problem, which goes back to the '30s, with long conversations in the Marcel Pagnol films taking place in kitchens against checked table cloths...

would be to create a special titled negative with a drop shadow.

With that exception, and by all other methods, via which a title is either held back with a title band, or burned in with a laser, is still going to be white.

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am visually impaired and subtitles can be a big problem for me with white in bright surroundings.

Are there systemes to project subtitles below the picture. It must be an advantage for everyone if subtitles are projected below the picture.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 09:17 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could stretch a dark-colored cloth across the bottom of the screen and set it's height such that the titles project onto it. Black would probably be too dark, but a grayish color might provide a good enough contrast.

Not a very good idea, but if they can not be read at all......

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we're into the realm of theory here, but surely it would be possible to laser-burn the emulsion side of each print with an intensity strong enough to burn through one or two of the dye layers but not all three, thereby creating a text colour other than white (or, in the case of b/w stock, a shade other than completely transparent)? If so, then you could theoretically adjust the shade and contrast of the lettering to give some contrast in each individual shot. Not only would Pagnol's tablecloths be defeated, but I always have wondered exactly what Yves Montand mumbles shortly before blowing up the boulder in The Wages of Fear!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably, if the density of the print is within norm, even the whitest white created by the emulsion should still be darker than white created where the emulsion is completely burned away. This print must be unusually thin. Perhaps it is an anomoly and other prints might be more dense and would show subtitles more distinctly. Any possibility of asking for a substitute print? It might be a far shot, but one worth trying, because once those titles are burned, there isn't much else you can do to change the contrast. Projecting them thru a filter or on a darker surface will change both the titles and the background equally, resulting in exactly the same indistinction between the two, only darker. Laser etched and even chemical etched subtitles are supposed to FIX that problem of white text on white backgrounds. The difference in density is supposed to be enough that text can be easily read over white images. If they aren't then this really sounds like a print which was processed out of spec and is much less dense than normal.

I never could figure out why, with all that film geography wasted on 1.85 and even 1.66 titles, why they don't just print subtitles in the black area below the image. Yes, you would need a special lens for these prints, but if you are running a theatre that plays foreign, subtitled films regularly, chances are you would buy a lens sized for just that kind of process. Subtitles against black instead of the image itself -- what a concept.

And as long as we are talking in the "what if I were the king" mode, and we are printing titles in the black hard matted area, I would decree that translation text be etched ABOVE the picture instead of below -- super-titles as they are called; we do it all the time with live opera. No more craneing of one's neck to see over the shoulders of the guy in front just to read the subtitles; they would be up there right at the top of the picture, against black, not against the picture.

And hey, as long as we are in the realm of fantasy and etching titles in the hard matted wide frame-line area, my system would go one step further -- no reason why you couldn't put one language above the picture and another language below the picture. Depending on how you frame the thing, you'd have a tri-language film ....i.e.,the soundtrack language, the supertitles and the subtitles -- you'd see this on the reel-bands (or hand scribbled on the leader when there are no reel-bands as is common for foreign releases) --> "In Spanish with German sub and English super titles." And of course, in the country of origin, you would use the normal lens and there would be no translation at all.

Pretty neat, no?

Frank

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe it's a result of poor q/c, but i have seen many prints where the laser titles have dark borders around the letters until they hit a pure white background, where they just disappear. i suppose this might predominantly be the case on old b&w dupes with too-high contrast, but i've seen it on newer color prints as well.

i do like your idea, frank, though i think most theaters would balk at the additional plates, etc. (it might be advantageous to have the aperture off-center vertically, so the image itself is centered without accounting for the text.

there is a system of electronic subtitles which i'm told the pacific film archive experimented with, although i never saw it. apparently there was a lot of negative feedback. perhaps it was hard to read, or perhaps the audience didn't like looking back and forth between the image and the text. i don't know. given that there are foreign films for which no english-language prints exist (shocking, i know), though, i think they should have retained the system as a last resort if nothing else.

carl

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no easy solution because any type/color of subtitles will get into conflict with some kind of background image pattern. I often have to subtitle (on video, however) for film theme exhibitions, and often there is no other choice than changing the subtitle color between scenes, because with certain background patterns even the drop shadow font will not really help.

When only certain scenes have to be subtitled, I don't understand why they cannot afford doing a DI with good drop shadow subtitles instead of fuzzy white titles. Right now, here in Germany there are many complaints because of the subtitled scenes in TIMELINE which are totally out of focus.
The craziest subtitles I remember were in Russ Meyer's SUPERVIXEN'S (1975), they said "I wonder if the f***ing you get is worth the f***ing you get" and were superimposed in a pseudo-germanic "Old English" type font - but at least sharp and IIRC drop shadowed... [Big Grin]

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
laser-burn the emulsion side of each print with an intensity strong enough to burn through one or two of the dye layers but not all three, thereby creating a text colour other than white
No cigar for this one, Leo;-) Unfortunately, with both the current laser systems, the chemical etching system and the printing overlay system, you have the same problem. There is little or no image-forming colour dye in the white parts of the scene. So even laser burning one or two layers won't produce a title with any colour in it.

Laser-etched subtitles sometimes leave a little burn-mark around the edges (like a cigarette burn) which helps. Chemical etching is much less readable against white, so is the overlay system.

Surtitles at the top of the frame would be far worse: there is far more white sky in scenes than white ground! Japanese and Korean titles are sometimes printed down the right hand side (sometimes with English or another language across the bottom). More problems!

I believe Dolby have a system for projecting subtitles using a low-end video projector, and a title list cued by a framecount or timecode driven by the film projector. And there was another one around a few years back which used one of those LED displays used in shop windows etc.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-15-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're thinking of the DTS-CCS Cinema Subtitling System.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said:
quote:
I believe Dolby have a system for projecting subtitles
Daryl said:
quote:
I think you're thinking of the DTS-CCS Cinema Subtitling System.
Actually I'm thinking of the Dolby system

Dolby Screentalk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: