Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Database of system parts

Author Topic: Database of system parts
Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you guys be willing to supply your information about what kind of system you are running at your theaters, so if someone with a problem could look up in the database and see if someone in the film-tech database is running the same system and could ask them directly about if they had a similar problem. And/or they could ask a tech who has a expertise it that area.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-07-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of doing something like that a couple years ago, but it comes down to people bugging others for free advice. If you've got a problem that isn't already covered on the forums, it's probably best just to start a new thread making sure to include, with detail, the equipment involved.

Then, anyone who may have experience with the equipment involved can help you out at their leisure.

Basically I scraped the idea for the same reason I refuse to give out advice to non-customers, or people who will clearly never be a customer, over the phone and direct them to email me. That way I can help them out if I want to at my own leisure.

Listing equipment also brings up issues with some chains and their 'proprietary secrets'. [Roll Eyes]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I had a specific problem, I searched for the problem & e-mailed the last person to catalogue it. Worked very well.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-08-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just post the problem so that solutions remain available for posterity?

This also applies to threads that announce that a problem exists...with no followup as to if and/or how the problem was ever actually resolved.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-08-2004 03:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would probably only be useful for people running obscure or obsolete equipment who need to swap parts, etc.

Otherwise, I agree with Manny that it's better to ask questions publically and give others the benefit of the answers. Especially since many types of equipment are very common (e.g. QSC amps, CP-65 processors, Century projectors, etc.) and many of us work with them (or will work with them) at some point.

It would, however, be possibly interesting (but not statistically valid) to do the survey anyway to see what types of equipment are popular/unpopular in various chains/geographic locations.

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As most of you run different projectors and systems. I would find it more useful to understand what kind of system the person giving you advice is using. You could find out if the person telling you to take apart your system is a beginning (like myself) or if they really know what they were doing like a booth tech. This database would NOT replace the forum but who improve them. As well, you could find local projectionist/techs and allow closer networking.

Here are some pros:
1. Similar systems with similar problems
2. Would lower replys on the forums of crackpots who do not know what your systems looks like. (True, adding your equipment to your post is useful, but not always effective in every sitution).
2a. if you were to try their (crackpots) advice out on your projector, it may cause more damage then good.
3. If tech would allow, he or she could offer some advice on how to fix it basic problems.
3a. Could find tech in local area. (good networking for tech)
4. If in a smaller city, could find and setup relations with other theaters, so in cause of an emergency, they could help. (i.e. All the bulbs in your projectors blow up, you only had enough replacements for half of them. The closest supplier is a 3 hour drive and you could use your relations to borrow the remaining bulbs from the theater across town.)
5. Tips learned about same systems (i.e. your projectors runs longer by adding a drop of oil everyday)
6. "Possibly interesting to do the survey anyway to see what types of equipment are popular/unpopular in various chains/geographic locations."

From what I understand, this is your cons:
1. Would "bug" people who don't feel like helping.
2. People with knowledge of the parts may help out at their leisure. Leisure being the keyword here.
3.Database would give out 'proprietary secrets'.
4."Better to ask questions publically and give others the benefit of the answers. Especially since many types of equipment are very common (e.g. QSC amps, CP-65 processors, Century projectors, etc.)"
5. Adding your equipment to your post is useful, but not always effective in every sitution

If you have further pros and cons, I would be more than glad to hear them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: