Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » EV Tl-880 Vs 4645c JBL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: EV Tl-880 Vs 4645c JBL
Nicolas Jalabert
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Nicolas Jalabert   Email Nicolas Jalabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

It's my firts post.

I would like your opinion on those two subwoofer.
if you had the choice, which subwoofer would you put in your theater ?
I listened to 4645c and I was a little above. I expected that at all. One does not have the impression that it go down in frequency.
I never listen for the moment the tl880.
I saw that Tad had left a subwoofer the tsc-1118. George Lucas renovated his Stage theater. It uses only Tad speaker, but I got no more information on his theater.

I listen the c-218 Kcs. For the moment, It's the best. However, kcs isn't highend speaker.

I listen Tl3512 Ev. It's good, but but it is soft.

Thanks
Nico

France

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nico

I had the chance to hear that subwoofer in two different theaters, both THX. The final result depends of the eq and the acoustic of course. But the JBL didn't impressed me too much. However Steve would say that 4645C has to be configured in B6 setup. I never had the chance to listen 4645C in b6 setup, seems that in Italy no one knows this type of setup for the 4645C.

I heard the TL880D in "step down" mode... Very, VERY impressive!!!! Very Low frequencies!

Bye
A

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-07-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the TL880D a dual 18" model? I think that's what's in the Regal theater here. They're EV dual somethings for sure, and they sound great. Very effortless, well-articulated, deep bass.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-07-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like the TL880 better than the 4645C. Don't take that as my not saying that the 4645C isn't a damned good subwoofer though. I just feel the TL880 does better at the truly low frequencies.

JBL 4675C-8LF + JBL 8340A + EV TL880 = a fantastic sounding system in most auditoriums.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-07-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TL 880 wins hands down in almost any case and is a real bargain as subs go. I'm normally not biased but this one is very easy.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-07-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with all, the 4645C is a fine sub, but the TL880 wins in nearly every case, or at least used to.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-07-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently have installed a bunch of TL-880Ds and something is wrong in the current version. I think (actually I know) EV has mucked around with the EVX-180 driver that fires them...the TL-880 sucks right now and I dunno why because it didn't use to be that way. It really lacks bottom end.

I've tried them recently even in THX rooms sunk in the THX wall...and I mean they were pretty bad. No real bottom end. Even though they were phase checked (driver by driver)...I went down and rechecked them.

I have one array of five of them in a room that is about 100' x 55' and you'd think they would have just rocked...nope.

Now I've tried this over several auditoriums within the last couple of years...all with nearly identical results regardless of THX wall or not.

Now as to the JBL 4645C with the B-6 tuning (right you are Antonio)...I've NEVER had a bad set up. They are ruler flat down to 20Hz....just how low do you want to go? Remember, too that you can combine them...with my biggest array being 8 of them...they will make your pants leg flap.

As to drivers...that has NEVER been a close comparison...the JBL 2242 as used in the 4645B or 4645C has always spanked the EVX-180B (as used in the TL 440 or TL 880D). The build quality of the JBL is far better and the overall design of the driver is far better. The 2242 is an 800-watt continious PINK NOISE rated driver as opposed to a 500-watt EVX-180. The bottom end response and smoothness also goes to the JBL.

So, in 2003 and beyond...it isn't a close call, the JBL 4645C is about as good as you are going to find and easily goes down to 20Hz flat (with B-6 tuning...if you use QSC amps, check out the SF-3 module...DCM monitors also have a setting, failing that the Radio Design Labs makes a "stick on" [ST-CX1S] filter for it and then there are all the other ways of achieving the filter in analog or DSP).

http://www.rdlnet.com/st-cx1s.htm

So my vote is certainly the 4645C. For value, the 4641 is almost free but uses an inferior driver the 2241. The 4642A is a great bang for the buck but lacks the extra bottom and smoothness of the 4645C.

Steve

Nicolas Jalabert
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 10:51 AM      Profile for Nicolas Jalabert   Email Nicolas Jalabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Antonio Marcheselli ,

I have already to speak with you on your forum on this subject. I do not know if you remember me (Faulken)? You say to me that you preferred the tl880.

Hello David Stambaugh,

I forgot to say for the comparison that they was two 4645c Vs tl880, it is more logical. Excuse me. [Wink]

Hello Brad Miller,

"JBL 4675C-8LF + JBL 8340A + EV TL880 = a fantastic sounding system in most auditoriums"
Splendid your theater ! that makes me much think of the installation of the Dolby room, your theater.
I am not happy after Jbl since they replaced wood by the plastic on the 8340a. is the sound it very different from version 8340?

I had installed two 4647a. I resold because that did not go down at all. I had been very above sound of the 2226h.
15 " of my frontal enclosures have a frequency resonance of 27 Hz. Added sub with Fs of 35 Hz does not appear at all coherent to me. I want to be able to also use the sub in stereo listening. It's for my private theater.
I had information of the distributors Tad in France that the tl-1801 do not go very well.
much private individual in France uses two 4645c for their homecinema. Some said to me that in stereophony it was not brilliant. but I think that they use it badly.

Thank you with all for your answers. [thumbsup]

Nicolas

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Faulken
Yes, I remember you.

Steve,

What a pity! When I worked for the theater that had 4645C we asked JBL in every way but noone replied us about B6 for the 4645C...

I really would like to hear a 4645C array with B6 setup. At the moment the lowest SW I heard are the 880D but seems that things are changed...

Bye
A

Nicolas Jalabert
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Nicolas Jalabert   Email Nicolas Jalabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Antonio,

I go to rehear the 4645c in step a long time. In one of most beautiful the Parisian theater, Gaumont Aquaboulevard (n°1).

I hope that there will be an action movie. If I can, I would make photo with a detail of the room.

This theater got a tri-dlp Barco ..... [Smile]

The frontal speaker are the big 5674 Jbl with C-audio amplifier + dcs260. Four 4645c use for 500 seats. The sound are [thumbsup] but the sub hummm.... not convinced.

+
Nicolas

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2004 09:32 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what would you do if the subs don't perform like they should? Do you send them back to the manufacturer?

Nicolas Jalabert
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Nicolas Jalabert   Email Nicolas Jalabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

I am surprised to have if little answer. I want a ultimate subwoofer. Then which subs to choose which goes as well in movie and hifi ?

Thanks

Nicolas who cannot any more what take

Nicolas Jalabert
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 03:37 AM      Profile for Nicolas Jalabert   Email Nicolas Jalabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
still not of response for the ultimate sub [Frown]
it is a pity which one cannot make a vote on this forum.

+
Nicolas

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 04:52 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily cinema subs, but the specs do sound good.

Servodrive BassTech 7
BGW M2200i
Turbosound TSW-124

There also was a post awhile ago about a sub " chamber " built into the floor of a building with multiple drivers.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 07:57 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Royal Device is a sub builded by a friend of mine here in Italy!!

The "Filarmonico" theater in Italy has a horned subwoofer, 17 meters long made with briks!

Check on Outline website (I do not knoe where exactly).

Bye
A

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: