Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intermittent shutter drop out. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Intermittent shutter drop out.
Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 06:20 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running Kinoton FP30D projectors, with 15 * 15 matrix automation set up. The shutter in question is the 'flip-flop' style plate (not the spring loaded variety.)

My problem is that the shutter is randomly closing - sometimes at the start of show, sometimes 5 minutes from the feature end. By random I mean it has happened about 5 times in 3 months (2 of those weeks I was on leave, thinking I had fixed the problem.)

I have replaced the 24V relay that triggers to open the shutter and also the shutter open switch, which I tested relentlessly and found that it was staying open circuit about 1 in every 30 pushes. I cannot find fault with the shutter close switch while testing. I have also had a look at the commmon and active wiring to the shutter itself, which are all in good shape.

As I'm sure most of you can appreciate, intermittent problems are a real ball-breaker. Has anyone had any similar problem in the past or can lead me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated.

FYI - regularity of drop out has been about once a fortnight.

|  IP: Logged

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 02:17 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
once a fortnight? could you translate to stupid american?

Up here I think that would be: in a coon's age. [Wink]

Sorry this didn't help with your problem.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-07-2004 09:13 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't spoken the Queen's English in a while but I think a fornight is about 2 weeks..?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny
14 days and 14 nights is the right answer [thumbsup]
Surely you all speak correctly in the Bahamas.After all you are part of Her Majesty's Commonwealth [Wink]

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly similar problems have indeed occurred in our booth, although many of them were human error, (wrong program with the wrong print.)

Is the electromagnet actually pulling it shut, or is the blade simply falling shut? Some of our projectors had a problem where the changeover would fall back into its closed position.

Noting that you have matrix-style automation (if I'm thinking clearly, that would be hard-wired programming?) have you checked to see if any of your diodes have the slightest leak current? If so, that may be the culprit as well. However, I have never worked with that kind of automation.

Good luck!

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 12:53 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jackson,

The actual problem has only happened once to me during a show (the other times it has been another of my workmates on shift.)

When it happened to me, I had just fit a new open switch due to suspect contacts on the original switch. I am almost certain the cause of shutter closing was due to a locking screw on the rear of the switch which had worked its way loose. This in turn caused an open circuit.

Although the problem hasn't occurred for over a fortnight - I think it is still very much there. I have isolated the matrix and shutter seems to work independent of it, so that would rule any matrix induced problems out.

Douglas Curry
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Douglas Curry   Author's Homepage   Email Douglas Curry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to update on this problem in case anyone else stumbles along the same lines..

The problem was a little bit deeper than we thought. Ended up being the PCB the shutter relay resides on. Old 'dry' solder joins behind the board coming too loose over time.

Easy fix, pain in the but to find.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the update. Somewhere, someone, at some point in the future will be searching the forums for a solution to this problem, and you may have just saved them a ton of energy in tracking it down. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-14-2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the real solution will be to throw that god awful see-saw Biideklappe away and put in the modern version.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-14-2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Biideklappe
What does that mean?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-14-2004 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Bildeklappe?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-14-2004 01:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that word either.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-14-2004 02:17 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but it sounds a bit more plausible. Something that klaps down on the picture.

Larry?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-14-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bildeklappe: picture flap, or in context, changeover shutter.

The see-saw version is indeed a piece of junk.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-15-2004 02:43 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No guys, it's "Bildklappe". When I communicate in foreign languages, I try to respect and observe the other language's spelling and grammar as well as I can. In real life, German is not as hideous as in "The Great Dictator". OTOH, it's not so important, I just wanted to pick on G for using a foreign term (which looks kind of cool and worldly) but misspelling it totally.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: