Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Metallic clinking sound on Simplex...is it the shutter?

Author Topic: Metallic clinking sound on Simplex...is it the shutter?
Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(hopefully the title won't be classified as a teaser)

One of our Simplexes is making a very light clinking sound, kind of like if you were nicking something against the blades of a running fan (or shutter.) Which that makes me wonder...is it the shutter? Is this bad? How do I fix it?

Oh, yes. There is no shutter ghost, and the picture is in pristine quality. Also, the metal rod that manipulates the changeover plate is clearing the shutter blade, so that's been ruled out. I cannot see inside the top vent to determine what is making the sound.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Model simplex. Does it do it when you take the cover off. If the cover is not put on correctly the blade can hit the metal piece that goes behind the intermittent. This case being on model 1050's and later with aperture changers. Also look for a loose heat shield in these models that could be leaning against the shutter blade.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-06-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this happen before on XLs. Take the cover off and see if you can hear the click with every full rotation of the shutter.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On XLs as well as Supers, everything is very tight in there, but the conecal shutter especially can scrape if it has been slightly bent in removing or replacing the cover. If the cover is not sitting perfectly in place, the two can collide. Did this just start recently and after some maintenance like changing the framing light? It can be very frustrating to determine just exactly where it is hitting, but if the noise stops as Brad says when the cover is removed, that's the culpret.

Frank

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it where the heat shield gets slightly bent or warped and the shutter hits it going around, you can usually see a circular wear spot on the shutter or just a spot where it hits, you tend to get this clinking, almost ringing sound. I've noticed this on Millenniums, I can't remember if it happens on XLs.

Oh yeah, one more thing, sometime you just get a rattling sound off the changeover mech from the vibration of the machine...

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 04:12 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Simplex designed the heat shield they put it on the front of the Z bracket take out the two screws and move it to the back side. It won't cause any clearance problems . The generally solves the ticking of the shutter problem.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 11:15 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I would most certainly agree!

I myself run X-L's and have this happen on two seperate units.

one was as simple (no pun intended) to fix as tightening all of the screws holding the heat shields in place including the one all of the way back and to the left of the shutter blade... (P-1990, Heat Shield Support bracket) check the manuals section.

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After looking at the unit, it appears that it was indeed the changeover after all. A co-worker had discovered the problem, but had not told me. The sound occurs infrequently...but I will try to fix it tommorrow with the advice you all have given me...thanks!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-07-2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced the same problem with the XL's when the shutter cover was sprung. A big hammer fixes that if you bash it in exactly the right place.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So will a little hammer...

It's not the size of the... nevermind

Jason Thode
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 04:03 AM      Profile for Jason Thode   Email Jason Thode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the changeover plate or rod is bent and hitting the shutter. This problem usually starts out with a faint clinking sound which will get louder as time goes on. The other thing is the plate holding the heat shield and pivot point for the changeover has four allen screws and the can become loose and could need tightening. The heat shield can get bent from this lose of the screws.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: