Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why is my movie scratched? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Why is my movie scratched?
Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a day off last week and had one of the managers cover for me in the projection booth. When I came back, one of my movies has a long scratch running down the mid left side of the movie at the last twenty minutes of the movie. It's only at the end of the movie, but I can't figure out what the manager did to scratch the movie? Anyone have an idea?

[ 03-06-2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Matthew Stevens ]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 03:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!! No teaser titles!!

(just practicing for when Brad asks me to be a moderator. [evil] )

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 03:14 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need details on equipment used, however badly.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Last twenty minutes' suggests last reel. Is this a changeover show? If yes, the answer is almost certainly that the last reel was misthreaded. Can't be a projector fault because if it was, several previous alternating reels would have also been scratched.

If you're a platter, tower or 6,000 foot spool show, then what variable could affect just the last 20 minutes? A bit of abrasive crap which lodged itself in a nasty place could answer that question, but as David F says, we really need some more info to help you on this one.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-05-2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a bad splice (assuming you're running off platters -- although you're running a twin theatre, so who knows).

Please edit the subject title to something that identifies the topic a little better.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 04:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, if it's a changeover situation, and only one reel got scratched, it was likely a misthread. Are you using old-style magazines with the three-roller "fire rollers"? (they were notorious for picking up debris that could scratch, or developing flats on the rollers that could scratch film).

In a platter situation, abrasive debris could have built up somewhere in the film path. Does the scratch start at a splice? Do you see a buildup of skivings or debris anywhere in the film path? (A deep scratch usually generates quite a bit of debris at the site of the thing causing the scratch).

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that orginally that is was a bad splice, however, when I watched it on thrusday night it was perfect. No problems. I took Saturday off and the last reel is scratched.

Equipment- Century C projector; Sound- Simplex IRC with BACP RSTR 2000 LED's; Christie Lamphouse with CXL- 20 xenon bulb; TA-10 Theatre Automation; Strong Platter System- model: 35-AP3; Smart Tower with Smart MOD 2 B cimema Stero Processor, Smart MN580 Active Booth Monitor and 2 Smart TA425 Cinmea Amplifiers; and 1 FC-1 Christie Film Cleaner.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-05-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew -- you really need to change the title of your thread or something bad is going to happen to it.

"What the heck is going on with this movie?" is not very descriptive at all.

What does the scratch look like? Is it a black scratch or a greenish/yellowish one?

If the scratch is black then you want to seek out the parts of your system that come into contact with the base side of the film. A green/yellow scratch means the emulsion side has been affected.

Have more scratches appeared as a result of subsequent showings?

If so then you have a real problem that should not be too difficult to track down: Simply follow the entire film path bearing in mind which side of film was affected.

If not, this will be a little harder to track down. The problem -- perhaps a bit of accumulated dirt -- could have even cleared itself out of the film path.

BTW -- While it doesn't hurt to include the components of your *entire* system, it is nonetheless a safe bet that your sound equipment (processor and amps) are not at fault.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,

My first guess would be the film cleaner. Since it was the end of the film that was scratched, it could be that the cleaning medium ran out, stalled or broke lose from the spool. The cause could be difficult to trace as the rewound cleaner would have the furbish it collected from the damaged print in later passes.

What is your standard practice on the cleaner operation? Did the replacement operator know and REMEMBER that little detail?

I would be curious to know the condition of that cleaning medium.

Hope this helps.

KEN

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 10:13 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew--

"The solution to ANY problem lies within the problem itself"
You = Projectionist
Manager = Whatever

fjn

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-06-2004 05:32 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an episode early in the run of Matrix Revolutions: The IMAX Experience where a misthread caused the entire print to be scratched. However, it was a very light scratch, emulsion side, and did not appear visible on screen except for a couple random reels. (Keep in mind, this print was 38 reels, as IMAX reels are 3.5 minutes long.) And when the scratch did appear, it was black (except for the one reel, in which it turned green for a horrifying 10 seconds).

If a misthread takes the film over a scratch-threatening surface, it's possible that it won't scratch the print, but every splice that passes by will adjust the position just slightly, likely just enough to start scratching; as this is what happened with Matrix. Most of the film didn't show the scratch at all, but it was there!

I had to order and replace reels #21 and #36 ... that was a fun night!

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 02:26 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found out what happened. I took a closer look at the entire movie. Since alot of the movie is dark. It looked like it was just at the end of the movie. However I looked at the first trailer (touching the void) and it was scratched as well. I ask both managers what happened and who was threading that show. They told me they don't remember (LIARS). One quit three days after and another is no longing working here. The one who quit told me that the other manager misthreaded and ran the ENTIRE MOVIE (not once checking on it) and messed it all up.

BTW- I'm sorry if I put to much information out there about my system, I just wanted to help

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,

My guess is the misthread was in the projector. Something fixed like the sound head cowling is most likely to be at fault.

Study the film path for any build up of emulsion dust. It would probably be wiped clean by now, however someone must have noticed. [Wink]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW -- While it doesn't hurt to include the components of your *entire* system, it is nonetheless a safe bet that your sound equipment (processor and amps) are not at fault.
Manny, Manny, Manny, if you only knew how many prints the USL CM35 has destroyed over the years. [Wink]

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris- how can dust from a movie, scratch a movie?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: