Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor...c'mon

Author Topic: Technicolor...c'mon
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are bascially the major theatre in our city, but the competing ones keep us from getting some decent titles...so we finally got Along Came Polly and gave up Cold Mountain...but the theatre before us wound up Along Came Polly wrong (bascially the film was folded in half long-ways so they had to send us a new print)...good old technicolor gets us a print by 11pm last night, and I go to build it up....ALL of the reels are busted. The cores were intact, but man talk about a pain in the ass. Plus, I don't know if this has been talked about, but there was like residue ALL over the print. I made sure to call them ASAP and informed them about it...and man what GREAT service they are sending me replacement reels (get this: for FREE) Thanks Technicolor [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have almost never gotten a print that didn't have atleast one bum reel, but they are plastic and go through hell in there short lives. I was really happy with Techs. response times. I ordered a reel and had it in four hours...With all their faults...I'm glad that they are there to handle that end of it, but I do admit that some of there zones are jokes.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the theatre before us wound up Along Came Polly wrong (bascially the film was folded in half long-ways so they had to send us a new print
Sounds like they too Joe up on his projection training program. See the video it's hilarious.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 07:28 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dean-

Are you saying that the same theatre that dropped "Along Came Polly" so that you could pick it gave you the damged print? Or was it just some random print sent to you from Technicolor?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure your corporate office or your booker knows so that your theatre does not get billed for that damage.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you saying that the same theatre that dropped "Along Came Polly" so that you could pick it gave you the damged print? Or was it just some random print sent to you from Technicolor?
some theatred ropped Along Came Polly and when we got that print, it was severly damamged, so we got a replacement from Techicolor...but that one had all the reels snapped....luckily I got it together right...

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-13-2005 02:10 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 525 days since the last post.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a great examlpe of Technicolor's great genius...
I received our print of Skeleton Key (#400) from Technicolor on Thursday night.
When I opened up the cans I found the trailers, a UPS trailer return bag, and...A crushed DTS disc case!
The entire outside edge, the part that latches, is crushed. It wouldn't stay closed very well if it weren't for the nice crease in the back edge. It's on its last legs.
So, as with all damaged cases, rells, etc. I called them up and asked for a replacement case (which they've done for me before, most recently, for a print of The Island).
After being placed on hold for 10 minutes the CS rep tells me they can't send a replacement case.
I asked why not, since they'd done it before.
She tells me she asked her supervisor and the answer was simply no.
Just put it between the reels when you ship it out.

Sorry if you guys get a crushed/scratched set of DTS discs from me. But Technicolor made me do it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-13-2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.been there, and done that as well with busted DVD cases from them. I figure that if they want to send out busted cases, that's their problem. For it looks like their main concern is getting the prints to and from the threatre, not the CD's - in any condition, for I'm sure that they've got plenty of backup CD's of that certain movie.

..maybe they should go back to the plastic carriers that we get used to take our frustrations out with trying to open them.

..or take lessons from ETS on taking care of DVD cases since theirs don't seem to get all busted up as does TECH does (yeah, now we'll be seeing orange plastic boxes..lol).

-Monte

Heath Dutton
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Heath Dutton   Email Heath Dutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say what you will about Technicolor, but when I see incoming prints will be arriving by them I breath a sigh of releif, knowing that my prints will be here on time.

ETS is notoriuous in our area for arriving late. A couple of weeks ago we got our 5 ETS prints at 6:30pm thursday night, the excuse (there is always an excuse) was that it was raining. Of course they could have sent the prints out a few hours earlier and beat the bad weather, but NO... They need to realize, when prints arrive late, they are built in a rush, and sometimes aren't previewd... All of this = bad presentation.

My only gripe with technicolor is that their "chasing" trailers seem to always be a day late.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, I haven't received a damaged dts disc from Technicolor in over a year. I see damaged dts discs at least once or twice a month from ETS. At least Tech is putting the discs between the reels and not at the bottom of the case or "curled" around the edges of the reel or between a reel and the case itself.

I blame those stupid ETS/Fox boxes for most of the damage. Generally that box indicates a busted disc when I see one. [Mad]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-14-2005 02:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like TECH pays more attention to shipping quality with first run shows, than they do with prints heading to 2nd run and discounts. This is probably Brad is a little puzzled with our statements of busted DVD cases where he hasn't seen a busted case for quite a while - being I see more of this being that I work in a discount house, and who knows how many times that print has been around before we finally get it. And by then, TECH prob doesn't really care on the condition of the DVD case-probably being that when we get done with the print, that print is ready to be recycled and the CD's tossed along with the cases.

-monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2005 03:15 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Tech is getting better on the first runs and the one second run I've gotten lately was well packed with reel spacers and well stashed discs, however in the past both ETS and Tech have had no problem replacing the DVD case for a damaged one on first runs I've played.
This is why I was so surprised that they wouldn't care if it gets smashed or not.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: