Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cell For Norelco AA

Author Topic: Cell For Norelco AA
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where I can order a stereo cell for a Norelco AA (also called "Big Bertha" I'm told). A previous tech broke one side of the existing cell and I need a replacement.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-04-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent my last two to a guy in Australia. I make red readers for this model so had a few spare soundheads in stock. Of 10 only two had good cells as the wires tend to break off.

Check my site bacpinc.com if you want to update your soundhead which gets around the solar cell issue.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward,
I'll put in a big plug for Sams reader for the DP-70. We have done quite a few of them. If yours has not been modernized then now is the time to do it!! The JAX light just does not cut it.

However, if you are not in a position to do the BACP upgrade(hopefully you are) then we have good used DP-70 Dolby Stereo cells at CLACO. I believe new cells are now over $300.00 list. We also have lots of light pipes, exciter sockets and such if you should need any of that.

Mark Gulbrandsen
CLACO Equipment And Service
1212 South State St.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
801-355-1250

VISA and Mastercard Gladly Accepted

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2004 08:00 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have one you can have Ed.
Got anything you want to trade?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-04-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Dolby still has the cells available new too.

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-04-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the advantage of the BACP reader over the Kinoton basement reader? I'm presuming it's less expensive since it's an upgrade of the existing soundhead rather than a total replacement.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Both are generally displayed at Showest for all to gawk over. The Kinoton unit is very nice! Pretty to look at, precision made, and well functioning, unfortunately the Kinoton basement reader does not have the heavy duty build quality of the original Phillips sound reproducer (Ok, no one has THAT sort of build quality any more!). If it did it would cost twice the 5K that it does now. The most important feature of the original sound reproducer is that it has the no-contact sound drum while the new unit has a standard "Simplex" type drum. The original Phillips lateral guide roller asembly is also easily modified to be spring loaded for perfect film guidance through the scanning beam. I can't remember of the new unit is spring loaded or not but traditionally Kinotons are not and as the roller wears the insode width grows allowing the film to weave.

The BACP scanner is also the most easily serviced of all scanners out there although I've never experienced a failure of one yet. It has a plug in electronics module that has both channels of preamplification as well as a minaturized switching power supply for LED and preamp power on it. There is also a huge price difference between the two. Savings of as much as 1K with purchasing a seperate BACP penthouse/analog reader combo over the SRD Kinoton, comparisons at list pricing.

Both certainly have their place out there and to be honest I can't really fault either reproducer very much except for the lack of non-contact drum and light build quality of the new unit, vs. the battleship weight of the old one.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: