Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » WTB SMPTE 35mm Full Coat Test Films

Author Topic: WTB SMPTE 35mm Full Coat Test Films
Steven H. Krams
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2004 09:28 PM      Profile for Steven H. Krams   Email Steven H. Krams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just about run out of SMPTE 35mm Multi Frequency and Azimuth full coat test films. SMPTE has no stock and no estimate on when they will have stock. Any assistance in obtaining some would be appreciated. Please call or write. Thanks

Steven Krams
Magna-Tech Electronic Co. Inc.
100 NE 39th Street
Miami Fla. 33137
Phone 305 573 7339
Email iceco@aol.com

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-03-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the future please post this in the equipent wanted for sale section. Someone may be along to move this post. Thank you and have a great day. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-03-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Information on where to find it would be useful to all. No need to move this thread.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-03-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then why have an equipment and supplies wanted for sale section. all this is going to do is get burried in the land of the old threads. Just my opinion of course. [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-03-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve:

Have you ever considered becoming a vendor making these test materials for the SMPTE?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-03-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then why have an equipment and supplies wanted for sale section.
So people can buy and sell junk that nobody else wants or has a use for. Or buy and sell single items.

Being an item that would be useful to a large number of members, it'd be useful to have the information on where to get it, since the SMTPE seems to frequently have a large part of their products listed as unavailable.

quote:
all this is going to do is get burried in the land of the old threads.
At least it will be buried containing useful information. Put in the ESWFS forum, no one will be able to post a response and will only be able to email Steve directly.

I don't see what the problem is with sharing this information is.

Anyway, why have moderators if everyone goes around telling other members what to do. Just my opinion of course.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a pretty important topic...our theatre is low too and I'd like to know where I can find some

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-03-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just my opinion of course.

Everyone's entitled to one. [Smile]

When I first read it it looked like someone was selling the stuff. But anyways I was just jerking your chain in a friendly way. Hence the [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-05-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually this is becoming a big issue as I always used the Teccon test film for dubber alignment and of course they are gone
Still use an older one from agfa don't know if it is still available

Steven H. Krams
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2004 11:44 AM      Profile for Steven H. Krams   Email Steven H. Krams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I would follow-up and let you fellows know we were able to secure the required SMTPE test films needed.

Further, we have taken John Pytlaks advice. We will be manufacturing these items for release this fall.

Will keep you all posted when these matierals become available. If have have an emergency we can help.

Steven Krams

PS sorry if Posted in the wrong place!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No harm done posting here....at first I thought you were selling something and that usually goes in the other forum. My other brother Daryl made a good point about it being able to post the information so any information you can provide please post it here. [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-06-2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a roll of pink noise from Standard Tape Laboratory; not sure anymore how it compares to other materials.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2004 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I would contact MRL in California to see if they might be able to help you out. MRL supplies magnetic open reel test and alignment tapes and they have the necessary equipment to properly align a record head to known standards. I do not believe that they make 35mm mag alignment test films. However, it may be a niche that they could take on since they have the proper tools to calibrate the position of a record head and since SMPTE seems to be abandoning it. Other than these guys there is probably little hope of finding some standard recorded film out there.

I've used their alignment tapes for years and they are of the highest quality.

http://home.flash.net/~mrltapes/

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-07-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small amount of TECCON 35mm magnetic reference film in both tone and noise...they are my "vault" references to other films...they were serialized and Jack Dimmers measured his stuff to ensure its accuracy (same with 70mm). I'm still sad about his passing several years ago <sniff> Every once in a while a jewel of a person comes along...he was one of them.

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-07-2004 10:49 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that I think my STL roll is recorded across the entire width of the film, edge to edge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: