Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » super simplex locking up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: super simplex locking up
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a super simplex that I changed the intermittent sprocket today and since then the machine will only run for about 25 minutes before stopping dead. After waiting for about 3 minute no more than 5 it will work fine again. No new noises since I change the sprocket and it actually runs quieter now. I wish now I would have not bothers changing it as I dont know what to do. Anyone ever have this problem before? Hope someone can help. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor is overheating and causing a thermal switch to trip shuttung it down.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-02-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that but why should the thermal protection in the motor kick off after you have done something that should have alleviated excess load on the motor and should have made it run better?

Maybe you're having an incredible string of bad luck and the motor has shit the bed on you at the same time as the intermittent decided to puke. Maybe the jam-up from the intermittent blowing its guts trasked the motor.

On the other hand, I think you should verify that the projector tuns over by hand easily and smoothly. It could be something as simple as a belt that needs to be adjusted but you should also check your backlash/mesh on the gears you worked on. Also I would be concerned that the jam-up didn't strip or damage other gears in the power train.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-02-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a possibility the bushing or the starwheel shaft was damaged when the sprocket was changed? If it is a "pinned" sprocket, there is a possibility that something may have become warped when the old pins were removed or re-installed. If this is true, when things come up to temperature you might have it lock up.

Replace the movement with a spare and see if the machine will sustain a long run. If it can, something went "not according to plan" when the sprocket was changed.

I don't know what kind of motor you have, but if it is the Robbins & Myers motor on an RCA soundhead or a Leland motor on the Simplex SH10** sound heads, I never heard of those old motors being equipped with a thermal sensor.

I think you have a damaged movement that is bringing your machine to a halt. Just by coincidence, you may have a gearbox chewing brass. When that happens, the pinion shaft will start to climb the gears and bting things to a screaching halt. However, I don't think this is happening in your situation.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 09:32 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor is an original that came on the 1040. After changing the sprocket things turned over quite freely by hand. Once the thing stopped you could not turn it by hand, not until you let it rest for about 3-5 minutes then it would again turn freely by hand. I

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor is an original that came on the 1040. After changing the sprocket things turned over quite freely by hand. Once the thing stopped you could not turn it by hand, not until you let it rest for about 3-5 minutes then it would again turn freely by hand. I have the worst luck. Should have known it would not go well.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-02-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like thermal expansion to me.

Can you tell whether it's the motor binding up or the projector mechanism getting stiff? When it stalls, try disconnecting the belt or motor coupler to see where the problem lies.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the cam and star are jamming up when hot does it all ways seize in the same point of the intermitent cycle?

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time it happened I took the intermittent out and before finishing the task it would turn freely again. I took it completely out and let the motor run for 30 minutes, no problem.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-02-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on board with Paul and Gordon. I think your intermittent is taking a dump on you. Fail that, there is a gear out of mesh somewhere in the power train.

I would check on both problems because it could be a complimentary situation where one problem exacerbates the other. If you fix one thing, the other could go wrong and put you right back to square one.

If you take the intermittent out of the machine and try to turn it by hand, does it turn easily without binding? It shouldn't be super easy to turn but you should be able to move it smoothly by hand and there should be no "bumps" or "grinds" in the mechanism.

Flush the piss out of it with clean oil to see if any junk comes out of it. You may see a small amount of shavings but any more than a nominal amount spells trouble.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHen the thing binds up I take the intermittent out and it does turn freely by hand. No grinding or bumps felt in turning it over. I dont understand how changing the sprocket would cause such a problem but apparently it has. I was extremely careful, when I took the intermittent apart to get to the sprocket. No stress on anything, oil was clean, putting the new pins in was a breeze, no pounding on it or anything. Are there bearings in the intermittent that should be changed? The star wheel and cam looked very clean and wear free.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something. Why would you have to take the whole intermittent apart just to change the sprocket. Wouldn't removing the outboard assembly be the only thing you would need to do to slide the sprocket off the shaft.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cant take the sprocket off a super without taking the whole thing out of the head, at least I couldnt see a what to do it. Not the most convienent design.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cant take the sprocket off a super without taking the whole thing out of the head, at least I couldnt see a what to do it. Not the most convienent design.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what your saying. I just looked at the parts manual for that model. I am used to the later models were all you had to do is take the outboard piece off the intermittent and slide the sprocket off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: