Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weight of CH20 console & projector

Author Topic: Weight of CH20 console & projector
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 12:11 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a close estimate of the weight of a Christie CH20 console with Simplex 35 projecotr?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-01-2004 04:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Heavy.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-01-2004 04:59 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Scott on this one. Heavy, but not excessively so. Do you mean a Simplex with or without lens turret? That makes a lot of difference. Tip - when you move the console, take the xenon lamp out. That reduces the risk of explosion and makes it also less heavy.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 08:38 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say around 650 pounds in weight.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-01-2004 11:00 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V.B.H.F.B. "Very Big, Heavy Freakin' Box!" [Big Grin]

Over 500 lbs. for sure. Ken is probably right in saying "600 lbs. +"

Is it possible or even practical to remove the projector head from the console before moving it? That would lighten the load by a couple hundred pounds right there. If undoing the wires and realigning the head to the console upon reinstallation are too much to handle then moving it all as one unit is probably the right choice for you.

Either way, furniture dollies and/or two-wheel appliance carts are definately in order. A couple of guys with strong backs and a good head on their shoulders wouldn't hurt. Buy 'em a case of beer afterwards and it shouldn't be too hard getting help! [beer]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-01-2004 03:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each of our projectors arrived in three crates. One each for projector, sound head and console.

I suppose all that extra crating added to the overall weight but it was definitely much more manageable to do it that way and, besides, we were receiving a whole container-load so I don't think weight was a key issue.

I'm assuming that you're inquiring about shipping or moving the thing but I realize there could be other reasons for needing that info. Construction, support, etc.

Would you care to clarify what it is that you are trying to do?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-01-2004 03:21 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine why shipping the assembled system (console, projector, soundhead) would be a good idea, as it is unwieldy, and has a very high center of gravity. Moving the assembled system across the projection room is one thing, moving it across town or the country would be another. [Roll Eyes]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-01-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JP said: "I can't imagine why shipping the assembled system (console, projector, soundhead) would be a good idea, as it is unwieldy, and has a very high center of gravity."

We do it for our new complexes all the time. Saves a large amount of money to not have a tech wire each console, and much of the projector and automation can be tested before installation. It's well worth the extra work, but you're right; it is much harder. We stopped placing audio equipment in the console because frankly, I got sick of working on stuff all cramped in there, so now we ship a whole audio rack full of stuff.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-01-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the Cinemark consoles and sound racks I've ever worked on were pre-wired. When you have semi trailers to move the equipment, lots of hands like we did (and, hopefully, a freight elevator) it's not such a big deal. But, if you only have a few guys to load the console into the back of a pickup truck or van it can be a bitch. It's even worse if you have to contend with stairs.

I personally humped every piece of equipment up to the booth here at Mercyhurst. Even when all the equipment was disassembled it was a bitch. I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was all pre-wired! [Eek!]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-01-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heaviest part of the console is really the rectifier in the bottom.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-01-2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: You're talking about the console only but my understanding is that there's a projector and soundhead attached. They carry a lot of weight, too.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 12:01 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would say around 650 pounds in weight.

Thanks, y'all.

quote:
Would you care to clarify what it is that you are trying to do?
I have seven of them that I want to assemble into a mobile to hang over my nephew's crib.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 01:59 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
william,

a team of white-coated gentlemen has been dispatched to your residence. don't be alarmed; they are there to help you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: