Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I've Never Used FILMGUARD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I've Never Used FILMGUARD
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try and talk a theater to install a cleaner system for FILMGUARD. Since I've never done this, are there any instruction or pictures on how this is set up. This is a single screen theater and up to now has never gotten a brand new print. However, they are running "Passion" and I spent the first 2 shows preventing brain wraps on reels 6 and 7 with my hands. Those last 2 reels were clinging and wrapping like crazy. The 3rd show no problem. I'm hopeful that a cleaning/lube system would prevent this.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 08:21 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means do start using it--especially if you don't typically get pristine prints. It will make even well used prints glisten. Push the "Products" tab on the left side of the screen for a rundown on FG.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-26-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar dry web media cleaner manual describes how to mount the cleaner. This manual comes with the cleaner, but it's something to read up on.

Instructions for FilmGuard use are under "What do I need to use FilmGuard?" about half way down this page. Ironically the instructions that come with each FilmGuard bottle aren't available for download here. I guess nobody sent in a copy.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's posted somewhere, but it may not be in the manuals section.

FilmGuard instructions

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-26-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly there's a link in some thread to the PDF file somewhere, but that's it.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with filmguard not drying out fast enough. It takes 2-3 days for the flimguard to finally "dry" I suppose and I can turn down the gate tension. Is there something I am doing wrong? I only run the print through once, I don't think I am putting a huge amount of filmguard on. I followed the directions but I can't figure out why it takes so long.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2004 02:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not supposed to dry, but perhaps I'm not understanding the question. Are you saying that you have to keep the gate tension raised for 3 days instead of that one show during application? What kind of projector are you running?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am ready to dive into the film guard camp.

couple of questions:

I'm only going to buy one cleaner, and move between 3 screens.

I have a Potts (18 yrs old if that helps) 5 tier platter on two screens. Anyone successfully mounted a cleaner to this tree? It leaves very little room. Suggestions appreciated so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Kelmar or Christie cleaner? Which is the better?
Kelmar site list's a model 35-A with Autowind bracket?
Is this a universal bracket or is it intended for an Autowind platter?

Will the cleaner create enough drag to cause problems with a top platter tree mounted tension sensor? IE: cause it to shut down erroneously.

Thanks!

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the Strongs and Simplexes in Guymon, I never had this problem...

On the Model C the streaks that appear when you first apply FG would never dissappear. They weren't as obvious, but If I looked real close, I could always see a hint of those streaks on the screen.

Could that have been a result of too little lighting(I can only assume that the heat from the lamp would affect the way the FG spreads over time) or is it something inherent with that model projector?

Even with that, the advantages of using FG are so awesome in how it takes care of the print over a long run, I never really worried about very hard to see streaks. I just wondered because I had never had that problem in the past.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie stopped making cleaners back in the 70s I think. The only manufacturer currently making new units is Kelmar.

Yes, you want the one with the Autowind bracket. That is the only platter bracket made, and you can easily drill and tap two mounting holes in the side of your Potts platter tree. Look here for pics

Different types of projectors, film stocks, lab work, cleaning media and takeup winding tension will affect how fast the streaks smooth out. Most all combinations will eliminate the streaking from being projected after 1 or 2 passes.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good note for anyone new to film gurad. Take Brad's advice and cut the media pads in half for any movie 6 reels or less. You will save a lot that way.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brad, I have to keep the gate tension raised for at least a couple of days. I have all Christie P35GPS projectors. Granted my gate bands probably have never been changed since we opened (about 6 years ago) but I run almost all the projectors at the 2 setting and have to raise it to 3 for a few days when running a print with filmguard. I don't know what it could be.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2004 05:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Aldo, check the instructions that come with the bottle regarding those projectors. Due to the gate design, you need to make a slight modification to either the tension spring (adding a second one) or the easier (and cheaper) way is to sandwich a thin piece of cardboard at the top of each gate band to tense it up just a tad. Find the minimum setting you need to run with freshly soaked pads, then just leave it.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good note for anyone new to film gurad. Take Brad's advice and cut the media pads in half for any movie 6 reels or less. You will save a lot that way.
What about just keeping it going? I usually run a 5 to 6 reel print through the pads, then move the cleaner to another short movie and continue on. The supply cores end up with maybe a reel's worth of media or so, and I never had them run out. Then I just rewind the whole roll.

I've always wondered this: What about using the other side of the pad? On the Kelmar cleaner, if you swap the two supply cores, the film will be running across the other side of the media. Could this be done to get even more use out of the pads, or would that be pushing it?

=TMP=

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, I have done both of those methods you mentioned, but I just assume that Brad knows what he is talking about and did what he said.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: