Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Booth Checklists

Author Topic: Booth Checklists
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any tried and true booth checklists for cleaning and PM stuff? I'm looking to expand on some of the gaps left in my current checklist and I wanted to know what has worked for you.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-25-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing has worked. You do it yourself if you want it done correctly. [Frown]

Unfortunately with many operators, they don't know which end of the projector the light comes out of. Most of the others are just too lazy to even clean the portholes, let alone, properly clean and maintain the projector and associated equipment.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-25-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found asking for no more than 3 things to be done over a 6-8 hour shift usually works best, as pathetic as it is.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-26-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just yesterday, we (1) dismantled and cleaned 16 slide projectors, (2) washed surfaces, and (3) vacuumed miles of booth carpet.
Like I said, 3 things. The other stuff is something I'd better not have to leave notes about.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 08:44 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a good foam cleaner for ports, why is it better than alchol or MEK

Why do some people prefer newspaper over paper towels?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-26-2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started using Glass Wax at the suggestion of another F-T member and it works very well. Unfortunately, this product was discontinued by the manufacturer. I still have some left over so it will be a while before I need to find a replacement.

I don't use newspaper but I always assumed people use it because it is lint-free...or is it coz they're cheap bastards?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-26-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checklists for employees are like notecards for a speechmaker. They are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

For somebody giving a speech, notecards are invaluable. They help you keep your speech organized and professional. However, a speaker who simply reads his whole speech from cards is boring and uninteresting.

Same goes for checklists. They are a good way to keep your business on schedule and to ensure that the things get done when they need to. However, I believe too many people put up checklists and expect them to be followed to the letter. They end up being more than busy work. If it's not on the checklist it doesn't get done. It it doesn't get done but it's on the checklist then somebody will have to put some other job aside to make sure that it is.

I have a checklist for my Work Study kids. It's on the bulletin board outside my office. When they come in they are to come see me to find out if there is anything for them to do. If there isn't anything to do, or if they can't find me, they are to go to the checklist and pick a job. At the end of the week I read the checklist to see what has been done and what hasn't been done. Many weeks there are jobs that still haven't been done. Some weeks the whole checklist is checked-off and then some. If, in my opinion, there are chores from the list that need to be done I will ASSIGN them to somebody. I usually assign the job(s) to the people whose names appear on the list the least number of times.

Thus, I have a self-enforcing system: You do the work at hand first. Then you do something on the list. Those who don't get assigned. IF you want to keep from being assigned the shit jobs (like cleaning the shitter) you'll try to get your name on the list as many times as you can.

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris drop me an email and I'll send you my checklists for cleaning and maintenance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: