Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 2 greases, 1 projector

Author Topic: 2 greases, 1 projector
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been able to find a grease that holds up to the punishment inflicted on the main drive gear on my Century MSC's (besides Genuine Century Gear Grease/Rheolube before they changed it). I have tried Mobil One Synthetic, that white stuff that Wolk sells Tu-235, and now Superlube and they all melt, dry up, or shy away from the main drive gear.

I was thinking, the draw back of using Moly grease on your Century's is because it's so hard to get off because of it's plating properties...but wouldn't that be ideal for the main drive gear? Also, it has the highest dropping point of the greases I listed, another plus for using around the point of most friction. The main drive is covered by that oil baffle so the greases shouldn't cross contaminate each other.

Anyone here not too impressed with Moly grease and wouldn't recommend it? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-25-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black molly greese is all I ever use on Century

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gord set me up for this one and he knows it!

If your drive gears are heating up that much there may be other problems with the equipment, it is obviously running way too hot. Perhaps water cooling it would be in order..... What size lamp is behind this machine?

I'll dredge this one back up because if you use that black crap on your projector and you ever need to change a gear you'll feel like you were just dredged up from the bottom of the local sewage plant. Your hands will also smell the same way.

Anyone that uses any grease that is fat based or has any other junk base such as Black Moly does is asking for a big smelly mess which will be difficult to clean up when the moly greases base starts to dry up. I am not aware of any moly grease that is synthetic based that will not eventually dry up.

There are Centurys locally that have been running for years here in SLC, both direct drive, and standard drive that rarely blow main drive gears out..... perhaps once every 5 to 7 years. These machines have always been lubed with either the original Century Gear Grease, or Superlube.

The key is frequent lubrication, the correct amount, and cleanliness.

Another thing to keep in mind is that direct drive Centurys are the weaker of the two main drives as the drive gears have much finer pitch teeth than does the standard drive projector. Standard drive gears will last considerably longer than the direct drive main gear even if both are given exactly the same lubrication intervals.

Mark @ CLACO

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-26-2004 07:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Black molly greese is all I ever use
Greese is the word!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: