Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Test for damaged speaker?

Author Topic: Test for damaged speaker?
Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 05:16 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

|  IP: Logged

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tone generator wired so you could take it into the auditorium would be helpful. Sweeping frequencies might bring out a speaker problem.
Also, if just one surround speaker is cutting out I wouldn't think it would be that noticeable like if a left, center or right speaker went out. If several surround speakers are cutting out than you might have a wiring or amp problem.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-24-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always, it would be best if you let us know what hardware you have. Some sound processors can generate test signals on their own.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 01:54 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

[ 03-02-2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-25-2004 04:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of these components can produce their own test tones. But you could move the DTS processor to that auditorium and play the setup disc (available as image here). That would seem to me to be the easiest solution with what you have. Or if you have a notebook and a sound editing program, you can make test tones and particularly a sine sweep and play it from the notebook into the external input or directly into the amps.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 06:43 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

[ 03-02-2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-25-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USL DSP60 should produce internal pinknoise
First using the monitor determin if the signal is disapearing at the output of the processor or the amp by monitoring that channel when a complaint comes in

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Band limited pink noise makes it a lot easier to hear distortion. Have your tech make sure that the inputs to the SA10 are not being over driven. We had a similar problem and it turned out someone had original set up EX incorrectly.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 07:20 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My two essential items for sound and picture projection diagnostics are:

Dolby Jiffy Test Film

Spectra Cinespot Meter

If you can afford these two items and learn how to use them correctly, many mysteries will be revealed! Like how bad your sound and picture actually are!

I know they are out of reach of many small time exhibitors, but if you run a large multiplex or multiple locations, they are a necessity in my opinion. Your local theatre supplier will have these items if they are worth their salt.(other brands of light meter are acceptable of course as long as they are for cinema use).

David

Alan Haigh
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 07:23 AM      Profile for Alan Haigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All test materials, films, disks etc. should feature solo piano music, preferably in stereo, then in mono on each channel in turn.

Just a wish of mine for the future...

Alan

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still can have a bad amplifier. I've seen many amps simply cut out or distort out after they get hot, or warmed up.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2004 02:55 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: