Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Framing handle "set," but still out of frame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Framing handle "set," but still out of frame
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex 1060. I will always level the framing handle (and set the intermittent, in case you think I forgot about that), but some of our projectors will not thread perfectly in frame like this. I will have to rotate the framing handle a few degreesn (some times as much as 20 or 30 degrees) in order to get the picture to be in frame. Isn't the word FRAME supposed to be perfectly horizontal when you thread? What would cause this to happen?

My theater also has Century projectors. I think the model is SA. Is the word FRAME supposed to be horizontal on these framing knobs as well? (This is my first time working with Centurys, so I don't know too much about them.)

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 12:09 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you need to do is frame it on screen then PUSH in on the handle and turn it until the FRAME is level, make sure that you have enough room to frame the picture both ways from the point that it is SET.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory yes, the word "frame" should be horizontal. Newer equipment allows the knobs to be reset. However, older machines (like my Super Simplexs that are 16 years older than I am) don't have that centering feature. So my #1 has the word "frame" where it's supposed to be but my #2 says "frame" at about a 10 o'clock - 4 o'clock angle. You get used to it I guess.

My #2's shutter knob is upside down, so mote it be.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word FRAME may not always be perfectly horizontal, even after pushing it in and turning it. I've seen where a projector did have FRAME horizontal, but after the intermittent was changed, it was at a slight angle. The person installing the intermittent must check it. This applies to both Simplexes and Centurys.

I made this stick-on label because some Simplex framing knobs did not line up. It was meant for use where the framing knob must be adjusted when going from flat to scope (adjustable top masking.)

-

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-24-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also depends on how the aperture plates are cut. If the plates are slightly off, the film will need to be framed to compensate. Same for houses which use top masking for scope; the picture will need to be reframed after the masking adjustment.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Framing flat-to-scope and back isn't too far off on my machines, my problem is side-to-side. Not bad, just a half turn on the front knob under the lamps. The machines have settled a tad over the years and I'm used to adjusting them when we change aspect.

We used to actually have to re-level the #2 machine when we changed as the scope image was slightly crooked. A quicker fix was to re-aim the scope lens in its collar, "twisting" the image back to square. Keep it simple.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Scott mentions a lot depends on how the apeture is set up. None of my machines framing knobs are perfectly horizontal. They are 1060's

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-24-2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How hard is it on those machines to set them up so that flat and scope are centred on-screen without it being necessary to reframe? Am I to believe that there are actually situations where this is normal and acceptable? I would have deemed this to be an instance of "film done wrong." No? [Confused]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-24-2004 10:13 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like mosts machines, if you've only got a single lens holder, there's not much you can do to shim the lens. Of course, that's what adjustable tables are for. Anybody who uses the framing mechanism for centering each format should be shot in the head.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-24-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had assumed turrets.

Adjustable table? Is that a joke? [Confused]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-24-2004 11:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, if these ********* would do away with the movable top masking only and if the aperature was cut properly, the problem would be solved provided, of course, the popcorn salesperson button puncher could properly thread the projector.

However, that would be asking for the impossible. [uhoh]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-24-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anybody who uses the framing mechanism for centering each format should be shot in the head.
Holy Smokes, Daryl! You sure are getting rambunctious for a "thick skinned Canadian!" [Razz]

From that statement, I would have thought you lived in Los Angeles! [Eek!]

>>> Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joke? What's so funny?

If you don't have a common optical centre line between all formats and can't shim the lenses, you'd better be investing in an adjustable lamphouse table. There's no excuse for projecting off axis and affecting the lighting of the picture.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-25-2004 04:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Daryl, but I've never seen a theatre with top-only masking that didn't require a framing adjustment with every format change. Usually one quickly learns exactly how much adjustment is necessary and can then make the adjustment before the picture even hits the screen. Top masking does suck.

Brad claims that artists' tape can be carefully applied to the lens before it goes in the lens collar to tilt it enough to make framing adjustments unnecessary. I haven't had the chance to try this, but it sounds reasonable.

At the Williamsburg Theatre (see picture gallery), we had to do a framing adjustment to go from 1.85 to scope and a tilt adjustment to go from either format to 1.33. Fun! They've since reworked the masking system for side masking only. [thumbsup]

BTW, the current-model Ballantyne bases don't have an easy tilt adjustment. The only pedestals that have this seem to be the Simplex (LL-1, LL-2) and Century models, neither of which (as far as I know) is in current production. [Frown]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-25-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's got to be at least 75 screens that I've personally run with top masking that don't require any framing adjustments between formats. All of theses screens have their lenses shimmed (or otherwise adjusted) in turrets.

Maybe I'm more open to adjustable tables after running changeovers with single lens holders for more than half my life (so far). [Smile]

Heck, I ran one screen with a car jack adjustable console for a few weeks a few years ago. It worked a LOT better than off centre framing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: