Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » If Money Was No Object... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: If Money Was No Object...
Tom Holland
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Tom Holland   Email Tom Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hypothetical Question: If you were putting together a non-platter theater approved for Nitrate and archival print projection... where cost was not a concern... what equipment (specifically 16mm, 35mm, 70mm, DLP and the finest audio processing) what would you install?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-22-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super Simplexes! All you need for 70mm is a 7, an 0 and two m's for the marquee. They'll never know.

Okay...how about a pair of Norelco AA-II's, Eastman 25's and CP200+DA20?

Tom Holland
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Tom Holland   Email Tom Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. The following has also been suggested: dual 35mm Kinoton's and 16mm Kinoton and a Texas Instruments DLP. For audio: the latest Smart processor combined with a DTS-6 and the newest Dolby unit. Aren't Kinoton's generally considered the finest?

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are the finest in my book.Been using various Kinoton models for years with no probs.

Steve [thumbsup]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-23-2004 02:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get nitrate-approved magazines for modern Kinotons?

My vote is for AAII/DP70s for 35/70 and Eastman 25 for 16mm.

Strong, Christie SLH, or Kneisley lamphouse for xenon, Peerless Magnarcs (small venue) or Strong Futura IIs (large venue) for carbon.

-Aaron

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 04:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Aaron,
The Kinotons dont have Magazines as such.All models can run spls if needed eg FP50Ds and the FP30Ds includeing the E series can run 2000' and 7000' spls.In the manual it strongly states not to use nitrate film on them.

Steve [beer]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 06:30 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Strong Futura IIs (large venue) for carbon.

What size carbons do the Futura II's burn?
Why do you like them, Aaron?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-23-2004 10:39 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember off the top of my head but it was a fat uncoated positive (current entry via water-cooled silver jaws) and copper-coated negative.

The nitrate requirement is why I didn't suggest Kinotone, normally cited by many as the best of the best. Let me amend my Norelco AA-II recommendation to say these would be modified with Kinotone basement readers (anything else being kind of a kluge and probably disruptive of nitrate safety) and inverter-drive variable speed motors to handle silents at proper speed.

You can probably find a sine wave inverter to drive the Eastman 25's with their twin sync motors at variable speeds without the motors balking at a funky waveform. Chicago's James Bond used to do this with an oscillator and a hefty audio amplifier.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-23-2004 12:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was a 14mm uncoated joinable positive and 12mm coated negative in the Futura II (it has been a looong time since running them)

I like them because they put out awesome light! they were far brighter than the (4500-5kW?) xenon that replaced them at the drive-in I worked at years ago. They were pretty easy to maintain as well.

-Aaron

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron--

How about 13.6 mm Pos & 9/16" Copper Coated neg.

fjn

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would add a non-intermittent machine for old and shrunken prints which will run through a Steenbeck, but may be damaged by a standard intermittent. IIRC, Sondor/Perfectone of Switzerland made a good machine, at least the sharpness looked fine while the steadiness was not as good as with a conventional machine.

A 16mm xenon machine like a Bauer Selecton II with 1600W lamp, an ELMO or Eiki xenon machine (with some modifications) could not hurt, there still are some beautiful 16mm prints out there worth showing!

How about a Elmo ST1200 Xenon stereo machine, or one of the huge Fumeo Super 8 machines? (But what about Regular 8 and 9.5mm [Big Grin] )

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-23-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Make sure the motors can interlock so you can host Jeff's next 3D Expo! [Wink]

Oh, and don't forget the silver screen. And try not to lay it on the chairs [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2004 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not be messing around with any of this crap and would be restoring a Big Boy Locomotive [thumbsup] .

Mark

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at a booth that has a gutted Futura behind one projector (no jaws, no reflector), & something stupid like an Orcon behind the other. How often do Futuras show up as unused & obsoleted equipment?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 10:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt the corelight was a better lamphouse than the futura
My choice for this type of booth would be a pair of the FP75E style machines as they could do anything

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: