Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector Sounds?

Author Topic: Projector Sounds?
Braden Mailloux
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Braden Mailloux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre I am at is currently running simplex projectors and it seems that one of them is making some rather odd noises. They are making excessive clicking noises and when I removed the apiture plate for a second it seemed that the sound dimmed down. So something is vibrating the apiture plate. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-22-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to sound like I'm putting you down, but the first thing you should check is the oil level. It might not be a lack of oil but the consequences that arise from an oil problem are so severe that it warrants a check anyway. Make sure there's enough oil and that the oil pump is working. (You should see the familiar shower of oil inside the projector back.)

At this point a little help on the model of the projector would be nice. There are about 6 different models of Simplex that I can think of off the top of my head. Each one of them has enough differences to make a diagnosis change when the model changes. (There's a nameplate on the front of the machine, near the focus knob that says the model name. Usually something like "PR-????")

Guesses:

1) Intermittent going bad. (Hence the oil check.) Or bad intermittent sprocket. (Hooked?)
2) Intermittent pad shoe loose or improperly adjusted.
3) Some random part of the trap or gate is loose or tension settings are out of whack.
4) Some part of the turret (if applicable) is loose or maladjusted.
5) A part of your changeover (dowser) is loose, etc.
6) Foriegn material caught in the mechanism somewhere.

Those are my guesses.

Can you pinpoint the exact location where the sound comes from? Can you characterize the noise? Does it sound like metal grinding? Or, does it sound like your garden variety vibration noises?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-22-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy: Simplex 1050 with manual turret.

Braden tells me that the sound is a knocking noise that occurs with every pulldown.

It does not affect the picture on screen.

It has been happening for 'a while', gradually increasing in volume.

-Aaron

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bent pin striking the maltese cross? Definitely in the intermittent motion. Time to change that out.

A bent pin would "knock" but the image would remain steady when the pin is out of the cross.

"Ticks" turn into "knocks" which will someday become one big "clunk".

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree that the intermittent is suspect.

The question is how long it will last. I've seen intermittenst die at a moment's notice. I've seen (heard) intermittents knock, clatter and rattle for months without giving up the ghost. Surely, it'll need to be changed but it's anybody's guess as to how long it will last.

I guess the question is, "Can you afford it?"

Can you afford to change it out now?... Spend some cash now in order to prevent a disasterous failure? Or, can you afford to let it go until it dies and deal with a projector off-line while it's being repaired?

How is the oil system holding out? I assume there's enough oil in the machine but are you sure the intermittent is getting oil? The oil hole or the spiral groove could be clogged. Can you check & clean the oil system to make sure it's pumping enough oil where it's supposed to be going.

Although the damage is already done, whatever the cause, making sure there's enough oil getting to the intermittent will certainly prolong its life until you can decide what course of action to take.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that clicking knocking sound develope on a 1050 machine once. Turns out that the oil pumps drive gear became seperated from it's center shaft. These were the two piece designs not the newer one piece gears.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it could just need a new cam pin, doubtful that its bent though as they are hardened pins and would be more likely to just snap off before they would ever bend. It is possible for the radius of the star to bend though... have seen this many itmes. To be safe though you still need to check and be sure that there is sufficient oil flow...continously...both on the gear window and down the intermittent oil tube. Also check to be sure the intermittent overflow hole is actual overflowing or that at least a spurt every few seconds is comming from one of or both of the holes...located just above where the cam goes through the back of the casing and into the movement. When the movement is center framed and using a flashlight you should be able to see two small holes next to each other about 1/16th of an inch in diameter each. No oil being pumped though the movement and back out this hole spells either a cloged oil passage in the movement from crud or a gear tooth remnant, or simply not enough oil making it to the movement. There have also been some movements in past years that just don't pump oil too well. This was due to the clearance being too much between the flywheel and the back of the casing.

Again, I will reiterate that having a main drive seal kit and a new red rear gear cover gasket and the extra oil all this affords is a huge benefit on any Simplex.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: