Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection room vs Bio box (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projection room vs Bio box
Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my small theatre I/we usually refer to the booth as the Projection room. However, some of our employees who have worked for other Australian cinema chains call it a bio box. I’ve noticed when visiting other cinemas and I go to the counter to bitch about their presentation, they usually reply, “ok I’ll let the bio staff know.”

What is the origin of the word(s) bio box?

A search for bio yielded a couple of results; I only found Aussie projectionist use the term bio. I guess it must be a local thing.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 11:48 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is funny you should ask that, I have often wondered where the term Bio Box comes from. I call it the projection room and Bio Box as well. Even in high school the sound mixing and lighting room at the back of the auditorium was called the Bio Box.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 12:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthew,

For as long as I can remember the projection room has always been called Bio or Bio box and the term is used all around the country.We never used the term Booth.So its an Australian termanolgy.
Now I think it came from the days when cinemas were known as the biograph,now I will stand corrected if any of our guys here in oz know more.
You could check out the C.A.T.H Vic web site as the members may know the exact story.
Here at my site its known Bio.

Cheers [beer]

Stephen

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-22-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to suggest Biograph...

Booth seems to be the American preference, while I've heard Box used consistently in England (projection box, telephone box, etc.).

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 04:48 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, booth is pretty much what we use here. Though I personally refer to it as simply "upstairs".

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 07:24 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biograph
An instrument for exhibiting life-movements by photography. The cinematograph projector.
(Greek word meaning depict)
The term 'projection box' used in the UK comes from the early days of cinema.
Due to some very nasty, and fatal fires caused by the nitrate film catching fire, the projector being in the auditorium, regulations were brought in that all projection equipment should be used in a fire proof room constructed of brick, or iron.
As the owners of some buildings could not build a special fire proof room an enterprising manufacturer made a cubed shaped, fireproof iron box for the projectors, and projectionists.
As this passed the fire regulations it could be assembled anywhere in the auditorium.
Hence the term 'projection box'.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clear out in the wild and wooly west coast when I was still in high school,in the switch room under the balcony stairway of the Oaks Theatre in Berkeley Ca the main feed to the booth was labeled "Biograph Room". Quite awhile ago, I`m 81 now.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 02:56 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the first decade of movie exhibition, the term "Bioscope" was also often used (in different spellings all over european countries).

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 04:09 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah bob, that's my "neighborhood theater", but not the one i work at. my sister worked there a few summers.

now a twin, split down the middle, and the balcony unused. i've been meaning to ask the projectionist for a booth tour. he owes me one since i helped him push-start his truck once.

they have a bygone projector on display near those roped-off balcony stairs now. don't know the model, but maybe it's one you used to thread.

carl

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !

I also agree with "biograph" . [Big Grin]

In America have you a "nickname" to indicate the projectors ?
In France, we (the projectionnists !) say "chrono" in remember of the Leon Gaumont's "Chronophotograph" ... [Cool]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 10:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
an enterprising manufacturer made a cubed shaped, fireproof iron box for the projectors, and projectionists.
[Eek!] ...allowing the film -- and the projectionist -- to burn safely inside the iron box while the audience breaks for intermission! No thanks...

I don't refer to it as a "box" or a "booth" anyway. I'd hate to think that I work in a box. And "going to the booth" sounds like I'm preparing myself for a loooong stay in the bathroom. [Smile] I just call it the projection room or upstairs, especially since it's not a booth at all... it's the whole second floor!

"Bio box" sounds like a place you would store a misbehaved child. -- "Billy was getting rambunxious, so I locked him in the Bio Box until he calms down." [Wink]

=TMP=

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
allowing the film -- and the projectionist -- to burn safely inside the iron box while the audience breaks for intermission! No thanks...
Yes, even in the early days the projectionist was treated as an expensive nuisance. The cry would go up from the cinema owner "Let him fry. We can get another, cheaper, one off the street anytime."

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apropos Hugh's history of the origin of projection "box", I worked in the 1970's in a row of theatres on 42nd Street built as stage theaters around 1900 to 1910.

Some of these theatres showed burlesque, and began to use films as "chasers" to clear the audience for the next paying live show patrons.

The "temporary" boxes they built in the second or third balconies were made of sheets of asbestos board, and remained intact until the theatres were demolished or remodled as legit stage theaters again in the 1980's and 1990's.

But we always called them "booths."

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-23-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call it the gundeck.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-23-2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have operating projection equipment in my "office". [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: