Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vinegar Syndrome Retardant

Author Topic: Vinegar Syndrome Retardant
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 02:37 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Molecular sieve is believed to be successful in delaying the onset of vinegar syndrome. This apparently absorbs moisture and vinegar type fumes when placed with the film in the can. Molecular sieve belongs to a family of zeolites of which there are others which absorb moisture and, for example, ammonia fumes. Has anyone heard of results of research into whether other zeolites are also suitable for retarding vinegar syndrome?

|  IP: Logged

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 04:21 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge it is designed just with vin/syn in mind, it is a KODAK product and I can say that it works well.
I generaly clean the film in my lipsner smith cleaner then bag each reel with the correct amount of m/s in the bag with the film.
The film will be safe for some time.
The above only works on film with mild to bad v/s severe can be
treated as above but the effect can be a bit dicey. [thumbsup]

Stan

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be pedantic, but molecular sieves don't 'delay the onset' of VS, but rather they slow it down. VS is an 'autocatalytic' process, which means that the acetic acid fumes which it produces feed into and accelerate it. In other words, it's a vicious circle. As VS takes hold, the acetic acid offgases it produces feed into the reaction and make it happen faster. By getting rid of those gases - either by absorbing them with a molecular sieve or venting them through holes in the can - you take away the catalyst, so the reaction doesn't happen as fast. But it's still happening.

This isn't the same as nitrate decomposition. Although this process gives of nitric acid vapours (the characteristic 'musty' or 'mothball' smell of nitrate), their presence in the can does not (as far as we know) have any effect on the chemical processes taking place within the film.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've talked a good bit about VS in past threads, and I've repeated what I'm going to say now before, but when it comes to acetate film VS has a lot in common with the grim reaper...he's going to get us all sooner or later--the only question is when. Molecular sieves have apparently been proven to work, but as Leo has said only to the extent that they absorb the gasses and prevent a build up which speeds the autocatalytic process. The alternative, which I happen to believe works as well or better is to avoid storing films in cans altogether and concentrate on venting and exercising film. This won't prevent VS, but having accepted the fact that it can't totally be prevented it does achieve the same end as the use of sieves and regularly replacing them. In the end, though, I don't think there's any free lunch.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
molecular sieves don't delay the onset of vs but rather slow it down
Thank you Leo, it is a rather fine point but worth noting. The end result which is what really concerns us may be similar, in that a print's useful life may be extended.

I agree, a lot has been written on the subject and I didn't really want to bore you by revisiting old ground. My basic enquiry was whether other zeolites (besides molecular sieve) which seem to perform a similar function, are also suitable for the purpose.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-21-2004 09:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's done any research in that area, I would guess that the Image Permanence Institute would probably know about it. They also have a storage guide for home archivists online. Though it isn't specifically aimed at people preserving film, some of the information there is relevant.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: