Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film cans with pad locks on them (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film cans with pad locks on them
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 06:11 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we got our print of hildago, but the cans came with pad locks on them. I called TES they said that how buna vista is doing this now with sneaks. We wont get the lock code until a 4 hours before the showing. What a buch of crap this is.
any one els seen this or we part of the first ones.

kyle

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not new. I think it started sometime last year; George Roher reported an instance of this in July of 2003.

On the bright side, at least you don't have to wait for someone from the studio to show up with keys (Aaron Sisemore's story).

--jhawk

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just call BVD and tell them that you have a damaged reel and refuse to play it for a paying audience. After while I am sure they will wise up.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The padlock thing is not new with Buena Vista and TES. I get those screenings a lot with Disney studio prints. Their is three different combinations that they are using with those master locks.

I had a screening last fall, I got the print in at 9am for a 10am screening. And no call from TES till about 11am. I had the cans open at about 9:05am. Then they called at 12noon to see if we had gotten our print. You got to love TES.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-18-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An Oxy-Acetylene Torch (also known as a fire wrench and lock cutter) should fix that. [Big Grin]

It is an amazing tool. It will fit any bolt, nut, hasp, lock, or film can ever made. [Smile] [Smile]

Brad should like that. He needs some videos for his archives anyway. [Eek!]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-18-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"But the cans came in like that!" [evil]

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 12:36 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i knew the print wount not go to another theater right away form mine I like to some how glue the lock shut, to piss them off [evil]

Kyle

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 02:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what? A padlock on the can is going to stop a thief from stealing the prints, cans, padlocks and all? Once they get the cans back to their basements they can work on the locks at their leisure. A bolt cutter, an angle grinder or a torch would make short work of that.

If this is an anti-piracy measure it makes no sense!

1) People at theaters aren't the ones pirating copies. Shit! Half of them aren't smart enough to pop popcorn without burning it!

2) People who pirate movies wouldn't be using crappy release prints anyway. They'd have to have a telecine to get it onto video. Besides, all they have to do is call up one of their buddies from "The Academy" and have them send over a screener tape?

They make more work for US in having to deal with this crap.
They make more work for THEMSELVES in having to get somebody to call every theater to give them the combination.

I don't know what kind of drugs they are taking but I wish they'd give me some! [Wink]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 04:02 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 07:58 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of this padlock dealings are meant for keeping the film safe in transit. Those cans go through many hands before they get to a theatre for screenings. Like sitting on a loading dock, the people at the airport, the couriers that deliver the prints. I'm not saying the padlock idea is a great idea. But it's TES/Disney's way to see if there is a problem in getting it from point A to point B. Because if you've seen some of the couriers that move these cans around looking to make a quick buck.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-19-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four hours for inspection and platter makeup isn't unreasonable, assuming that the print is either brand new or in good enough shape that it doesn't require major work to make it playable. That doesn't change the fact that this sort of practice is annoying.

If this is a four-wall event, you can always add a condition to the rental agreement that a playable print must arrive at least 24 hours prior to the screening.

I agree that the locks are useless; if you really wanted to get the print, you could use boltcutters to cut the can latch or hinges and return the film in a different can. I'm sure that no one would notice. Even more useless are those stupid "tamper-proof" security tags that ETS uses on some prints. The cans can still be opened with the tags in place. And, since not all prints are shipped with the tags, the theatre has no way to tell if the can has been opened because there is no assurance that prints shipped from the depot will have the tags.

If you are really concerned about security, you can always ship the print back with _different_ locks on the cans and tell the distributor to call _you_ for the combination. [evil]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 08:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you buy the same model lock in the hardware store you'll get a little tool that enables the combination to be reset. So you could in fact send the print back with the the locks it came with but a different combination. Kinda silly though.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the locks we've been getting are just cheap little wire & plastic jobs. I asked another guy I worked with, and we agreed, just cut them off. We never got any combinations or anything. God forbid somebody would get their hands on Catch that Kid before I did...

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the real point of the locks is not to absolutely prevent entry (although it does discourage it) but to make it blatantly obvious if entry has been forced.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: