Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Q about intermittent problem: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Q about intermittent problem:
Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smudging could be the shutter timing needs to be adjusted. On the simplex there is a shutter adjustment on top of the machine. Project a loop of film with some credits on it and adjust the shutter until the streaks go away. The tight turning intermittent could be caused by a number of things. That's something I would mention to a tech next time they come in for service.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-18-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check if the little tube pointing into the intermittent assembly from upwards is not clotted. This drips a little oil into the assembly, when it doesn`t, it`s only a matter of time until the intermittent goes to hell. Then you have to have it rebuilt. And check the oil level as such, of course. You can also check if the 2 gears on the intermittent assembly, where it couples to the main vertical shaft, are still OK. Sometimes they get worn down, then the whole assembly freezes and sometimes also kills the motor if it isn`t switched off quickly enough.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 02:58 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2004 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect those "other guys" just don't give a darn. Thats the leading cause of poor showmanship. You obvuiously do care.

More likely its a star shaft thats accumulated some crud in its oil spiral..... the clue here is that its only tight when the star begins to move. This is not too uncommon on Simplex's. Could also be the outer bearing thats seizing up. I've seen both of these happen quite a few times with neglected machines. Another common oil sporal to clog up is the lower sprocket shaft.
Whoch ever it is it will mean a total movement rebuild if its let go too long.

Mark @ CLACO

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said what I had in mind as far as the outer bearing(s). Needs a little extra push to move the shaft then it frees up until the next hit.

Oldtimers used to call smudged white images "travel ghosting" and a small adjustment of the shutter knob should clear this up. Just go a little at a time, try not to do the "go past it and come back" focus-type of adjustment.

Nice to hear that someone cares about what is on the screen!

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 03:20 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-19-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably everyone's seen cases where an operator has twisted the shutter knob when trying to focus the picture. Since you noticed the ghosting after dealing with someone else's focusing problems, it sounds like that might have happened to you.

If not, the fact that you had the "smudging" problem in the first place might indicate more trouble on the horizon. Those things generally don't "drift" on their own without a little help somewhere.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Those operators are the ones that usually run them big cameras next to them cake stands up stairs...

Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... note "operator" as opposed to "projectionist". They isn't the same dawg!

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 02:19 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

[ 03-02-2004, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 03:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to break everyone's heart,
but the real truth with the Managers is that they actually don't give a f**** about the booth and presentation. All they care about is how many tickets each cinema is going to fill. After that they DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS. And when something happens they BLAME someone else (the poor thoughtfull projectionist) who tries so hard in keeping everything is place and shape. My opinion is that only ONE projectionist should be employed and not three or four or even worse train the whole cinema staff in booth running. That is the fact why sometime technicians get a bad name in their work. For example an installer might do two different cinemas (not screens in a cinema) exactly the same and because of the bloody projectionist who just does not give a f**** that technician is pinpointed and gets a bad reputation. Not only that the whole cinema gets a bad reputation just because someone DOES NOT CARE.

Sorry for being so wild.
But that is the truth.
Demetris Thoupis

Being a Projectionist is not a Job. Is and ART

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 04:09 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

[ 03-02-2004, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 04:19 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Wolff,
On my statement above I am talking about the projection booth. All I am stating is simply that cinema managers only care for downstairs, customer service, tickets e.t.c. They almost don't give a damn about on screen presentation. If they could, they would even put a baby run the booth!!! from what I know. I would like to give you and example. When TITANIC came out it was shown in the filthiest cinema here in Cyprus and made the cinema owner a rich man since each night for 2 months the film was PACKED FULL. From that money in the Summer he made a great reinovation in that specific cinema, a complete facelift and even divided the cinema in 2 for 2 screens. HE PAID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR THE PROJECTOR ROOM. That is what I am talking about Managers since here the cinema owners are actually the MANAGERS.
Demetris

Being a projectionist is not a Job. IS AN ART

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

[ 03-02-2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: