Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cine Wind platter question

Author Topic: Cine Wind platter question
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found photos of this taken at a drive in on an urban exploration site. It shows a 3 deck two tone green platter & a matching MUT next to it. On the MUT it reads Cine Wind, assuming that the platter & MUT were made by Cine Wind or someone else.
The drive in in which the photos were taken at is called the Hill Top. Anyone have anything on this brand of platter? I'll find the link to the photos again later.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,
WOW! I used to service that very platter at that very Drive In. Its like Deja Vu for me. Can you post a link to those photos? I think that D.I. is all gone now. It was located in Joliet, Illinois in a not so good part of town... It was also not far from Stateville Penn. Thats where the opening scenes of "The Blues Brothers" was filmed....... then not much of Joliet is a very safe place to be anyway.

As for the platter it was not very reliable and definately not a platter I'd want to run on a daily basis. Most of my calls there were platter related about one problem with it oe another. It was made by Rank Precision(?)Industries. I remember there being a cable controled potentiometer in it that sometimes went bad and or became noisy. The cable broke at least several times. For some reason or other we were able to get parts for it from a local dealer.

Mark @ CLACO

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a pic Mark

hilltop drive-in

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 02:03 AM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
woah! that platter color is loud!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this site where I fond the photos were taken in April of last year.
This is the link to it. http://www.geocities.com/chucksphotospot/hill22.html

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the EPRAD platter they also turned backwards
I believe the manufacturer was a company in LA called applied energy or something like that the engineer went on to work for christies early autowinds

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filbert Supply in L.A. where promoting these in addition with the "green" Rank lamphouses ( with L.P. associate parts )in the early 1970's.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We called them the "Green Slime" up here

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Green Slime is sure a good name for that stuff. While that place brings back memories of service calls from long ago I can't say that ot brings back fond memories. Can't remember how many times I replaced both the control cable and speed control pot in that platter.... at least 3 times for sure.

Having to pass Stateville Prison gave one a wierd feeling about being in that part of Joliet.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when all the green slimes up here got pitched into lake ontario so that rank wouldn't force there installation [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-18-2004 10:02 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, those pics sure are a sad commentary of better times long gone....

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Back when all the green slimes up here got pitched into lake ontario"

Amazing idea and hilarious if you think about it. They are the same color as the lake so they'll never ever be seen let alone found unless one of Bob Ballards sonar laden submersibles see all those sunken disks and mistakes them for sunken UFO's! Oooniooops!
I've also got to wonder if there are any of those in the Chicago river......

Mark @ CLACO

P.S. I never did look in the bottom of the Christie 4kw console to see if there were extra weights up front to keep it from falling over backwards......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: