Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Quick Christie platter question

Author Topic: Quick Christie platter question
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 06:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started at a theater that has Christie AW-3 platters. Never used them before, but now I can see why everyone raves about them. Quick question: Are the brains calibrated to each platter system, or can they be moved without affecting timing? I read through the manual, and there don't seem to be any adjustments on the brain itself (like there is on Big Sky platters), but I just wanted to make sure.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-17-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Move the brains around all you want.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! What Brad said! [Big Grin]

In fact, one thing that I have the kids in my booth do is put one of the brains away in the cabinet when there is more than one print on a platter. If there is only one brain on the platter, each time you go to thread up you'll have to move the brain. It will force you to look at what you are doing and lessen the chance that you'll thread up the wrong print.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy while I can see something in doing that I have a policy that all modules are used all the time.

Nothing worse when you have a problema and you take a module out of the cupoboard and find its faulty as well! All modules should be numbered so they can easily be identified and if they are used all the time you know they are fine.

The cinema I'm at right now had 11 faulty modules in the cupboard none labled as faulty so you never knew where you were.

As for lacing up the wrong print..... is there any way to really ensure it don't happen? I doubt it. Tight turn arounds, three prints in one screen, single manning and shows starting very close to each other...... oh and moving prints around. Its no wonder it happens.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ken, you gonna like those platters, my number # 1 choice of platter would be a speco, #2 AW-3, #3 Strong...good luck on your new job !!! [beer]

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 07:38 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked to keep the brains in the platters as well, partially to make sure they are all in operating condition but also to reduce the wear on the shaft and other parts when moving them. While this isn't an issue in a well taken care of booth, I know a lot where the slot gets widened and/or the shaft gets dinged up so you have to file them to get the brain back in the platter.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't necessarily have to take the brains off all the platters. Just the ones that have two prints.

I agree that:

1) You should keep all the brains out where they can be kept track of, in terms of their state of repair.

2) It's best to use all equipment so that it wears evenly.

However, I have tried many different methods to ensure that the right print gets played at the right time, including putting a hockey puck on the idle print to remind the next person which one to thread. (Or not to thread.) Having only one brain makes is so the person has to get the brain and put it on the print that's about to play. Hopefully, he'll stop to think which one he needs to put the brain into.

Other than standing there and watching over the person it's the best method I have come up with yet... That and making the projectionist go down to the theater and apologize IN PERSON to the customers who had to watch the wrong movie.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-18-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many theatres are you working for these days, Ken?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-18-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...making the projectionist go down to the theater and apologize IN PERSON to the customers who had to watch the wrong movie.
Randy! I LUV IT! Great idea!

>>> Phil

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the middle of our annual science fiction marathon one year, we needed some filler and I was threading up individual trailers and running them in a hurry, and I got one half-twisted. So I ran down to the front of the room and explained to the audience and offered them the choice of having us rewind it in the booth, or rewind it on the projector with them watching.

Of course they chose to watch it on the projector. I don't remember what movie it was, but it had lots of explosions and the sound off-sync by 1.8 seconds is always neat...

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long story about that one, Phil.

To make a long story short, that policy was first made by a past GM who instituted it when we had The Hunchback of Notre Dame doubled-up with Striptease. He who fucked up had to go down to the theater full of moms and their kids and apologize. Then, of course, they would be written up, suspended or eventually canned.

Nobody ever made that mistake but the policy lived on.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-19-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I have always fought doubling up a kids movie with extremely "adult" films.

When I ran movies on a regular basis, I used a color-coding system. All movies got a white band of tail leader except the 2nd movie that was "sharing" a house. The 2nd movie got a yellow band to match the yellow highliter that marked up the coresponding section of the showtime schedule. When I saw a movie that was highlited in yellow, I would look for the yellow tail leader. You still have to read the label on the print but it always worked for me.

Like so many other ideas, this only works if everyone agrees to apply it consistently.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, this is the sixth theater (third company) I've worked at since I was 16.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken
IMHO I would use only one brain per platter system and rotate out brains every so often. If you are going to have two brains on the platters then you need to at least take out the brain on the take up platter. Reason being this can slightly affect the take up because the tension spring now has the weight of the arm on the brain to move. Granted this may only be a little weight but that can mean a big difference with these springs. Since you are constantly moving a brain each time and causing wear on them as Mike said you might as well go with only one. Then again my platters might be a lot older than yours and my springs more worn out.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-19-2004 01:23 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran my Christie platters with all 3 payout heads in place with no problems.

If you keep moving the payout heads around they will start to fall apart on you -- or the grooved notch will swell and then become frozen in place on the shaft. Then you have to sand them down so they'll fit again.

My advice: If you're lucky enough to have a payout head for each deck then leave them alone as much as possible. Remove them carefully when swapping prints around -- when inserting or removing them, you should be able to do so without having to coax it by twisting or wiggling.

Learn where the notch/groove goes -- it faces the rewind speed control arm. That way you can just lower your payouts straight into position without rotating them. If you allow yourself to fall into that awful habit -- setting the head on the shaft and then rotating it till it "plops" into position -- you will soon discover that it causes a burr to develop on the groove/notch and that's what causes those payout heads to get stuck in place.

When removing, lift straight up -- without banging into the shaft above, if there is one. I always grab hold of the middle roller because if you handle the module by those white plastic guide sticks, they will come loose. Two things can happen if you yank a payout head and smack it into a platter shaft:

1. You can crack the flanges of the centre roller.
2. You can kill the little light bulb.

Payout heads are expensive. My recollection is that they're close to $400 each. Take care of them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: