Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where to get Training in UK (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where to get Training in UK
Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 07:11 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read about xenon bulb explosions yesterday, and then more outing of bad film handlers. I thought I ought to get some training before we go 35mm at the Side Cinema (thanks for your help on that some of you) where should I get it?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 08:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mat,

Hope things are going well with the Spectres (oops, Freudian slip).

The British Kinematograph, Sound and Television Society (BKSTS) do regular one-day projectionist basic skills courses. But (i) they're usually in London (or in any case, far too far down south for my liking!), and (ii) the last I saw a programme for one, I suspect that they could be too basic for the kind of training you're after.

They do publish a projectionists' manual, which contains a section on xenon lamp safety. The most recent edition is a dumbed-down (and in my mind, not very helpful) picture book compared to the original version, written by Bernard Happé in the '70s and full of hard information - even if much of is in the form of diagrams rather than photos. The problem with the first edition is that it is now out of date: there is nothing on stereo or digital sound, and many of the film transport and automation systems it covers have now virtually disappeared. And unless you work at the Tyneside, the section on carbon arc maintenance won't be that useful!

Further information and ordering details for the manual.

Perhaps it might be worth trying to organise something in the region, if a willing venue could be found. Maybe NFM might be interested in helping to fund it, though anybody to do with the Film Council probably won't be interested in supporting any non-digital cinema related initiatives these days. But given the number of independents, part-time venues and film societies in this part of the world I'd have thought there would be a market for a one day course dealing with routine maintenance issues, e.g. changing xenon lamps, oil and belts, setting A-chain input levels (for Dolby venues which still use filament exciter bulbs) - that sort of thing.

Matt Jahans
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Matt Jahans   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Jahans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mat

As Leo mentioned BKSTS do one day courses but they also put on seminars as part of their UK road show. This was due to receiving training grants from the David Lean foundation and involved 5 UK destinations (as far North as Perth in Scotland) and also a seminar in Dublin. As part of this TLS UK Ltd. (who I work for) were invited to participate, so for the 2nd year running, I gave a Xenon lamp theory, fault finding and safety presentation.

This will be happening again this year with slight variations on subjects. This is well worth attending and covers many aspects about projection. Dates however are not yet confirmed.

TLS UK Ltd. offer such Xenon Lamp training free to customers that buy a reasonable amount of Xenon lamps, among others we do a training program for Odeon and Vue Cinemas (formally Warner Village).

Feel free to contact me if you want to chat about any safety issues. Contact details on our web site.

Regards

Matt Jahans

Adam Fuller
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Adam Fuller   Email Adam Fuller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odeon's training centre in Burton On Trent might also be able to help. I think they do training for individuals and other companies as well as Odeon.

Have a look here .

Matt Jahans
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Matt Jahans   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Jahans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam's suggestion is also a good one. Ben Dowell who runs the Burton on Trent training school gives some good courses. They also have a range of different projectors / automations etc. for pratical excercises.

Regards

Matt Jahans

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mat,

most training in this country seems to be done 'on the job' and consists of the most basic traing to enable running the show and little more. I know some of the circuits have tried to establish some more formal training but as always these things come up against budget cuts. There is only so much that can be taught in a training school environment.... the rest comes form observation and experience, both things you cannot teach.

Some of the things already netioned are very good but accesability may be a problem for you as indeed may cost.

On the subject of xenon lamps and their safe use.... your lamp and equipment supplier will be able to provide you with all of the information you need and also practical demonstrations of changing lamps etc. Make sure you are provided with all of the safety gear.... FROM DAY ONE!

They may also be able to arrange for some basic training in the use of the equipment and film handling. You could also try advertising for the services of an experienced projectionist to give some traing for a couple of weeks, would your budget allow for this?

Building up a good relationship with a local guy would pay dividends in the long run by allowing you all to gain experience in the knowledge you have someone who would be prepared to come in from time to time to fill in the gaps.

Not ideal but a suggestion.

Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all, lots of ideas to go on.
I've finally got a list of enough options for paying for the projector to put in for a grant and I thought training ought to be a responsible thing to add onto the budget. I think I might pay and travel for something formal rather than have someone come in and teach me their bad habits.
I can see there's still a long way to go - I just hope I can get a go before I'm ready to retire or 35mm has been killed off by philistines.

ta,

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 03:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry. The philistines have got their work cut out! [Smile]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 03:12 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, they're crawling out of the woodwork around here!

Evening Chippy, how's things at your new Odeon /my old ABC?!

Mat, there is a bloke up here who oft gave his knowledge and services to new cinemas for a small consideration, I don't know if he still does this, but I'll endevour to find out and let you know. Edinburgh to Newcastle by rail aint a big deal these days.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete,

careful now don't want this bloke you know passing on his bad habits do we [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edinburgh to Newcastle by rail aint a big deal these days.
WHAT?! On a Virgin Maims or a Grim Never-Ending Ripoff? A brisk stroll up the Northumberland coast probably wouldn't take much longer, and would certainly be less stressful. Some 'training' of a different sort:

quote:
Nine men who were arrested after a disturbance on an East Coast Main Line train have been released on police bail. Violence erupted on the GNER Glasgow to Doncaster service travelling from Berwick to Newcastle at 2000 BST on Saturday.

Northumbria Police were called to the train after the emergency cord was pulled near Alnmouth. Rail traffic on the line was delayed by 90 minutes because of the incident. Some of the passengers decided to get out of the carriages while they waited for police to arrive.

Trains on the line were delayed for more than an hour while the situation was dealt with. A police spokesman said the passengers eventually returned to the carriages and the train safely arrived at Alnmouth. Northumbria Police said they were called to the train at the request of British Transport Police who asked for assistance.

Adam Fuller
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 03:45 PM      Profile for Adam Fuller   Email Adam Fuller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evening Chippy, how's things at your new Odeon /my old ABC?!
Hi, Pete! The new Odeon is, well, OK. Ain't no Clerk Street, though. Pop in next time you're passing!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah kinda sad, Edinburgh lost two grand old ladies and replaced them with, well, the Odeon.

I will pop in when I get a minute, which isn't often. Must pop up the road for a blether and a brew with Mr Saunders soon too.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 07:01 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo Enticknap said in relation to the BKSTS / CEA Projectionists' Manual:

quote:
They do publish a projectionists' manual, which contains a section on xenon lamp safety. The most recent edition is a dumbed-down (and in my mind, not very helpful) picture book compared to the original version, written by Bernard Happé in the '70s and full of hard information - even if much of is in the form of diagrams rather than photos.
With respect Leo, I think that is an extraordinarily unfair comment to make and does a great injustice to the team who put huge effort into the current manual.

I also have a copy of the late great Mr. Happe's edition of the manual and that too is a wonderful resource.

But the current edition is extremely thorough, and is superbly designed and laid out. It is an excellent foundation for learning and I automatically recommend it to anyone who needs it.

If it is as "dumbed down" as you claim, then why is it enormously popular with Projectionists at all levels, and also supplied in the US by SMPTE with additional material by SMPTE members and others?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-21-2004 09:21 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken; maybe 'dumbed down' was the wrong phrase to use. Agreed entirely that the design and layout are great. If anything, the authors spent too much time on that aspect of the book. But in terms of the content, there is a lot of relevant material in the Happé book which simply isn't there in the new edition - for example most of the electrical theory in the 'Power and Services' section. The new edition also contains hardly anything on 16mm, but it does tell you how to lace up an Imax projector. I know that 16mm is in rapid decline, but would be willing to bet that a lot more projectionists out there routinely handle 16mm than Imax.

IMHO what they should have done was to update the Happé book and publish a second edition rather than try to reinvent the wheel. With a section added on SVA and digital sound, a more detailed section on platters, some coverage of video projection and one or two other minor tweaks (e.g. the characteristics of polyester film), the book would be bang up to date and a superb tool, both for training and reference.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: