Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS troubles

Author Topic: DTS troubles
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a problem today where my print of Highwaymen lost the center and surround channels. I checked and cleaned the DTS reader and that didn't work. The film was threaded properly and the disk was in the tray. The unit seemed to be working fine. I kicked it into stereo and turned of the unit. I waited like a min and then turned it back on. The DTS kicked back on and I was getting good sound out of all the channels. I was thinking maybe the power supply was going out on the unit and it was causing some of the channels to drop out....any thoughts

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this problem a while back we only lost the center channel though, turns out it was a bad play back board.

Kyle

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Processor? Amplifiers? Monitor?
Did you get your channels back when you went to stereo?

The two simplest channel-loss problems I've had were loose screws on a CP65 spade lug strip, and my current QSC 1400 issue with noisy pots. Still, losing 2 channels would be curious... UNLESS your center and surrounds are running off the same amplifier. ??????

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 08:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I checked and cleaned the DTS reader and that didn't work"
Since the time code conatins no audio how does one expect cleaning the reader would resotre a lost channel
What you don't mention is this a DTS 6 or 6D
I have had several DTS6 have output relays fail

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of analog processor do you have and were all the channels ok in analog stereo or not?
As for the DTS..... First check and be sure that the fan in the power supply is operating. I've had fan failures cause the unit to overheat and some of the DAC's shut down. DAC's are so,metimes very temperature sensitive. Bad fans are a very common problem in DTS units, especially older units. If you find that its stopped just get a new fan. They're under 10 bucks.
I've yet toahev failure of any board in a DTS 6 since they came out. Just drives, power supplys, and fans.

Mark @ CLACO

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2004 02:01 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to steal this thread.

DTS 6D with an Ultra stereo JS200

When the DTS unit is turned on, the JS200 goes straight to Digital ext and will not change out of it until the DTS unit is turned off and the JS200 is turned off and back on. will not read any information. I am not sure if it is not reading at the reader or if it isnt reading the drves. It does not matter where the discs are, it will do the same thing.

The same JS200 works fine with my other DTS6D so I am sure the problem is with the DTS unit. Any ideas?

Also, is it dangerous to switch out cards with a DTS unit? That is how I usually narrow down the problem but I know very little about DTS.

Thanks

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-15-2004 03:19 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS processors have little capacitors as filters behind the automation pin connectors. Sometimes these blow up, then the DTS locks the main processor into a certain format. There is nothing you can do to repair that yourself. You have to send the board in for repair. You can take the board out and look at the traces. When you have figured out which belong to which pin, then you can measure the resistance between pin and trace to see if one of the automation pin capacitors has gone bad.
But sometimes it is also a problem with the automation interface board or cable, like a bent pin.

Why are you not sure whether the timecode is read or not? That is indicated clearly by the LEDs on the reader and the processor.
When a CD-ROM drive is active reading a disc, then the green LED flashes very rapidly. When it is either dark or continuously brightly lit, then the drive has a problem reading.
The setup disc is available for download here on the homepage. This will help you troubleshoot the unit further.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-15-2004 11:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DTS 6D with an Ultra stereo JS200"

Time to steal it back.......

All the above mentioned DTS problems are notwithstanding the plague of the USL processors many inherent channel dropping problems. Such as the relays on the eq cards failing, or the sound bypass switch and its crappy 2 cent contacts which go intermittent without warning. The good news is that lately USL is considering eliminating that bypass switch and I hope they do. Seems like I've spent half the last 25 years yanking crappy switches and bypassing relays......simple things which if designed right don't fail in the first place.

Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know about the timecode because I haven't hooked it up in a while.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-15-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has bypassing the relay on the EQ card any negative side effects? How do you do it? I have a USL power supply which intermittently sends a very loud hum into the rest of the system, is there an easy fix for that too?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-15-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIchael,
That hum might be either a bad power supply or a bad power backup switch. That switch is also part of the USL plague! If ther eis one....on any USL processor for that metter REMOVE IT!Simply remove it from the pcb and wire bypass the two front poles that are closest to the front of the supply itself keeping the supply on premanent,y. Even USL has permanently elimninated this switch.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-15-2004 03:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually end up bypassing the relays on the USL eq boards

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-16-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the exact symptoms for the bad power backup switch? In our case, the processor sometimes (every other couple of days) produces a very loud hum and the signal LEDs on the noise reduction card go all the way up. After checking that the optical preamplifier was OK (and it does it in all formats anyway), I swapped power supplies and also the noise reduction card across 3 cinemas to isolate the bad component.
It turned out that the loud hum followed the power supply. It usually goes away after resetting the processor. Can this be caused by a bad backup power switch?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: