Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Marcus Theatres Elgin UltraScreen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Marcus Theatres Elgin UltraScreen
John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 02:25 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Marcus Theatres Website , their newest UltraScreen theatre is opening in Elgin IL 2/25/04.

The following statement follows the announcement:

Experience the new standard in digital sound! The Marcus Elgin Fox Theatre UltraScreen is the first and only screen in North America to combine new state-of-the-art Digital B-Chain™ cinema audio and the Academy Award® winning ScreenArray® Cinema System for unsurpassed cinema sound! Sound so dynamic, brilliant, and crystal clear you will have to hear it for yourself to believe it.

Can anyone explain a bit what this is?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to go check it out. Mark G. & I did the original installation back when this theatre was an independent (pre stadium seating). As built screen #1 was THX®, CP200 (with screen channel reversal!) and equipped with a Century JJ that I sold them. They never publically ran 70mm AFAIK. The rest of the screens had Christie projectors. All Kneisley consoles & Potts platters.

JBL / Crown Digital B Chain

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, though, the audio wasn't what gave Marcus problems with their UltraScreen in Waukesha, WI. It was the picture that was the bigger problem.

A short throw distance mated to the 75' wide screen gave them quite a few problems maintaining focus. While they did OK after about a year and a half, their release weekend shows of ROTK were plagued with jump and weave.

I'd be more impressed with their announcement if they talked about that part of the installation...

On Mark's recommendation many years ago, I did a road trip to the Elgin Fox. I don't remember what we saw, but the presentation was good. I remember he was quite proud of that installation.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-17-2004 12:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Experience the new standard in digital sound! The Marcus Elgin Fox Theatre UltraScreen is the first and only screen in North America to combine new state-of-the-art Digital B-Chain™ cinema audio and the Academy Award® winning ScreenArray® Cinema System for unsurpassed cinema sound! Sound so dynamic, brilliant, and crystal clear you will have to hear it for yourself to believe it.

Can anyone explain a bit what this is?

Let me try....it's called MARKETING BS; hype to sell tickets. Heck, I hate it, and yet even I am guilty of it. Read our copy....whenever we say anything about our sound system, you never see just the word "sound," it's always breathtakingly realistic, Six Channel Total Surround MegaSound! we use "breathtaking" so often you would think our patrons should be given oxygen tanks as they walk into the theatre. We don't just have a screen, we have a 40ft-by-nearly-2-stories high true CinemaScope Screen!. By god, yes we do! I am not even sure myself what that means anymore. I guess originally it was that we got the full aspect scope ratio rather than cropping any of the sides; get it? not just CinemaScope....true CinemaScope! And, oh yah, I don't know where we would be without the "!" [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its clear that Marcus still has a bunch of dorks at the helm of their engineering department! They are truely good at inventing engineering hype though.

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Marcus operates an Ultrascreen in Oakdale, here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, but it's hardly ever driven people from other parts of the metro to see a print on it.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-18-2004 09:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong with hype as long as one is not dishonest or misleading. It's a traditional part of showmanship in this business.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Digital B Chain"..... now thats hype thats so stupid it might actually be catchy. Lots of theatres have Cp500's, CP650's amnd other all digital processors in the B chains, so yes its sort of misleading..... its really nothing special at all.
Then again I'd bet that some of those Marcus guys probably drink Pabst Blue Ribbon too [puke]

Mark @ CLACO

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve --

Marcus currently does not have an Ultrascreen at Oakdale.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 08:33 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bad, they advertise as the only THX auditoriums in the North metro

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 09:28 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not anymore. We stopped paying for THX certification last spring.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 10:33 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard Marcus will be finished with the Ultrascreen addition to Oakdale here in a few weeks. I assume it will be ready for Episode 3.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, How about some inside screen photos.......
I remember as a kid in Chicago, when I saw Ben Hur on a Micheal Todd screen in 70mm, and the curtain seemed to just keep opening and opening and opening........roadshow that was a picture sound experiance.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for the other theatres, but the Ultrascreen installed in Columbus is pretty good.

They moved out the Imax booth equipment, screen and speakers. The mounting hardware for the back left/right speakers are still there. A new screen and sound system were installed. The pit that housed the bottom of the Imax screen was filled. A new screen was installed, masked with curtain material from above. They use side masking.

Sound quality is very good, and the picture is clear and bright. They claim a 75' screen, but they project a 68' image in scope. The last time I was there there was no music playing, making it eerily quiet. As from the opening of the theatre, this room is TOO DARK, making for lots of banged knees on entrance. I've stopped complaining to Marcus about this, as they seem to like it the way it is.

I've seen 3 pictures in this room, and 2 had problems. First, NATIONAL TREASURE had a bad reel (new one had not arrived) and SIN CITY had no right channel, due, according to management, to a loose wire on the amplifier.

I think converting from Imax to Ultrascreen was a smart idea. The Imax was rarely busy, especially later in the runs. More than once, there were 10 or fewer people in the theatre with me. With the Ultra Screen, they can change the pictures frequently. Lately, they have been changing pictures weekly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: