Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with Kintek KT-43

Author Topic: Problem with Kintek KT-43
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My exciter supply keeps blowing the secondary fuse... I can switch to AC backup, so the show can go on... but any thoughts as to what the problem could be?

I removed the loads totally to check it...doesn't help. The minute you apply power, the fuse blows... so something is drawing too much current...and that something is NOT the exciter bulbs...

Thanks,

Jeff

|  IP: Logged

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the bridge, any thermistors, caps, regulators for shorts. is it a switcher? can't remember. been awhile since I worked on one.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves it uses mofets for the output devices so probably one has shorted or the bridge has shorted

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 03:07 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do we know anybody in the Los Angeles area who can do a quick repair on this?

Jeff

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that any component-level tech could do it...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2004 07:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hint...... Kintek had massive problems with those exciter supplies, both the single and dual projector versions. Don't know if they ever did really do a fix for them or not but when an aquantaince of mine was at Kintek one day he said that failed units were stacked like chordwood in the service department. I worked for a chain many years ago that used these everywhere and they failed everywhere blowing the secondary fuse just as yours is. we ended up replacing them with Kelmar regulated supplies. Never a problem again...

Exciter supplies are a dime a dozen these days and it would probably be cheaper to replace it, its certainly more reliable to get rid of it.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they worked the Kintek were excellent supplys
when they didn't that was another story
Smart makes a excellent two machine supply that is very cost effective and well regulated
I am not a fan of the Kelmar supplies

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does sound like replacement is easier in the long run...

Jeff

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably one of the regulator transistors is shorted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: