Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cueing B&W prints

Author Topic: Cueing B&W prints
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-12-2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it so difficult to apply Clint Phare cues to B&W prints? Granted the scriber may not be very sharp but works just fine on color stock yet will barely mark B&W. Is B&W stock different somehow or is every print routinely Scotchguard or otherwise coated. I may have to make a scriber to fit a Dremel tool! [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-12-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was that way making chemical splices, too, Steve. You'd have to wet the emulsion before it would scrape.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-12-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The emulsions used for B&W print films are very different than those used for color prints. In particular, the color films have couplers, coupler solvents, and dyes, which tend to make the film emulsion more pliable and less brittle than B&W, which is mostly just gelatin and grains of developed silver.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, would this explain why B&W films tend to shed much more than color films? I did notice that Kodak's specs for current B&W polyester-base print film 2302 feature the antistatic backing layer and 'process-surviving backside lubricant'. I'm curious as to why a similar acetate-base film 5302 is also still being offered.

Kodak Print Films

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-12-2004 08:54 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has always been more important to properly lubricate (edgewax) B&W prints, per SMPTE Recommended Practice RP151. The Kodak H-24 processing specifications also specify proper print lubrication after processing. Kodak does have lubricants in both the color and B&W film formulations, but the lube cannot be at too high a level (will cause loose rolls), and some comes out during processing or film cleaning. So post-process lubrication greatly helps reduce projector abrasion of the print that causes scuffing and flaking from the edges and perforation area.

As I understand it, some in the archival community still prefer B&W triacetate print film (5302) so replacement sections can be cement-spliced. With color prints, a full-length replacement reel is often more cost-effective. The technology used for Kodak VISION Color Print Film was not easily translated to triacetate base, and the labs have all eliminated the rem-jet removal step in the print process that was required for triacetate prints having rem-jet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: