Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BARCO VIDEO PROJECTOR

Author Topic: BARCO VIDEO PROJECTOR
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 04:47 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the chance to buy a Barco Reality 6500 video projector real cheap,not sure if it will suit my large auditorium with the lens it has.It has 4300 ansi-lumens light output and it has a 1.36-2;1 zoom lens.The large auditorium's screen is 29foot x 12 foot(C/S) and the throw is 56 feet,can anyone help.

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 06:54 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More information is needed here. Without knowing the other focal characteristics, just the zoom figure won't give you the size of the picture. Barco will specify a certain picture size over some distance, such as 96" at a 15' throw. Every Barco I've worked with that has a normal lens is designed for a distance no greater than around 20', but they do come with special lenses for longer throws, especially the high powered ones designed for theater use. Hopefully someone here on the forum has used the model you're asking about.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the various aspect ratios given your throw you will need the following lenses and will get 'approximately' the listed light levels...

Assuming you have side masking, projector is really putting out 4,300lm and your screen is 1.0 gain.

4:3
12x1.33= 16ft 56/16 = 3.5:1 lens.

4300/(12x16) = 22.39ft-l

16:9
12x1.77 = 21.32ft 56/21.32 = 2.63:1 lens

(4300/(12x21.32))x.75 = 12.6ft-l

1.85:1
12x1.85 = 22.2ft 56/22.2 = 2.52:1 lens

(4300/(12x22.2))x .72 = 11.62ft-l

You get the idea.

Typically the shorter focal length lenses (like the 1.36-2.0:1) are only 70% efficient in comparision to the 'standard' lenses (usually a 2.0-2.6:1 or similar). Also, real lumens are only 80% of 'marketing' lumens. For this brightness and vintage of projector (not sure how many hours it has on it) it should be <<$3k, IMO.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bevan-So I would need 2 different lens for 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios?This could prove an expensive toy to play with! One idea we had for the projector was to have Playstation competitions for the kids to help support local charities.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or get an anamorphic (which is likely to cost about the same). Not sure if the Barco has it but some LCDs let you store electronic zoom settings which is another option. Set your lens for 16:9 and digitally zoom (shrink) the image for 4:3 to ~576x766.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: