Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dollar Theaters, Good idea or bad Idea. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dollar Theaters, Good idea or bad Idea.
Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had a dollar theater open in our town. It really hasn't effected business at all. I worked there for a week just to check out their daily operations. I fixed half their projectors and told the owner to open his wallet and buy something other then super platters (Idiot). But when I was there, some of the movies they were opening were coming out on DVD/video in two weeks anyway.

Do you think this movie house will make it in the long run.

By the way, I was projection manager and I was only making $6.00 an hour. I trained the owner how to build movies and he still didn't listen to me. I went in there 2 weeks after quitting and they already lost all their original managers. The Portal glass was never, ever, ever, ever cleaned and began creating a ghost image below the original image on the screen.
I cleaned it when I worked there, but as soon as I quit, it all goes to crap.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 03:06 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With an owner like that the place should be out of business by next tuesday. Oh wait this is a movie theatre we are talking about.

The dollare movie down the street from my theatre does very good attendance. A lot of people wont pay $8 for a ticket and dont want to spend $6 to rent a dvd so they go to a dollar movie.

I would assume that a dollar theatre should make the same amount of money as a first run of equal size and equal attendance. The money comes from concession so the price of the ticket shouldn't matter.

I think the idea is that most people expect poor quality from a dollar theatre so the people running them dont see the point in putting any effort into it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I have noticed about $1 theatres is that the audience often doesn't decide what to see until they get to the ticket window. I have often heard people ask the ticket seller "What's good" then selecting a film. At such a low price, people don't mind as much if the film doesn't suit them. I think they are going for the inexpensive entertainment rather than to see a particular film.

Cinemark has an extremely successful one close to me, and it has driven out some of the nearby businesses due to taking up most of the parking. There is a terrific Chinese carry-out there, and I check on Fridays and Saturdays to make sure I'm not going there between films.

[ 02-08-2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We started at a buck in 1990, it went to $2.00 seven years ago. We give them a bright sharp pic with good analog sound with surround, the equipment is well maintained, and we reject any print that isn't in near new condition, our seats are however terrible, that will be remedied in the not too distant future. In surveys done by the newspaper and a local artsy weekly we have been named best theatre in the area every year for the past ten years. Discount theatres are only bad when the owner decides to make it bad and ignore the customer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2004 09:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did all the design and booth work for many 1 and 2 dollar houses back in the Midwest(Wisconsin, Indiana, and Chicago area) from the early 80's on. Chicago had and still has a huge second run market. Most were VERY sucessful and almost all of them had quality buildings, equipment and presentations as good or better than the first runners did. One small chain in Milwaukee, Value Cinemas was eventually bought up by Marcus Theatres and they kept it as a 2.00 deal as well. Still going to this day as far as I know.

The guy you worked for will end up having lots-o-fun. This is the included option that comes with every Stupid Platter wether you ask for it or not! With those Stupid Platters he'll end up making his customers angry when things fail to run smoothly and they won't be returning. I can only chuckle at people that actually run them and the dealer that sold them to him [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . Gotta wonder what the rest of the boots are like....... [Confused]

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subrun is a difficult market nowadays presumably because of the ever shortening window between 1st run and video. Many of the theatres Mark used to service or otherwise is familiar with in the Chicago suburbs are no longer subrun. The Lake (Oak Park), York (Elmhurst), Elk Grove, Glenwood, Glen (Glen Ellyn) are all first run now. Classic Cinemas sold (leased?) the Park Forest to a tiny operator with a couple other houses who has since left and a third operator has taken it over. Still subrun though.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would assume that a dollar theatre should make the same amount of money as a first run of equal size and equal attendance. The money comes from concession so the price of the ticket shouldn't matter
Don't assume so quickly. A first run theaters percap can run anywhere from $2.25 to $3.00 dollars depending on there concession prices.

For Second run discount I have rarely seen the percap rise above the $2.00 mark.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family owns and operates a very successful second run theatre in Baltimore. We charge $2.50 for all shows and consistently have a per cap of about $2.15. The theatre is very successful. Also, when it comes to the amount of time between first run and video, it is much longer than people think. We always show movies well before they make it to video. But, with a very successful movie, such a Finding Nemo, we may hold on to a film even after it goes on video and it still will draw a crowd.

Also, don't assume that all second run theatres are crap and have crappy projection. That's not true. And, by the way, the last time I checked, a large percentage of first run theatres have terrible projection and terrible employees. Don't act like first run theatres are great and second run are just shit.

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant no offense to any second run houses, I did mean offense to PictureShow (the dollar house). Sorry if I came off that way.

Mark- the dealer of the stupid platters did try to sell him better ones, but the owner (jackass) just wanted to save a buck or two. When I was in there picking up my check last, the new projectionist forgot the run the film over the roller on top of the projector causing Bruce almighty to become very scratched. The projectionist didn't even notice until I pointed it out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, There were MANY other sub runs that I serviced not just the ones that I Willisized. Many of them are still running and others have closed down for good. We have a chain of sub runners here in SLC that do very well even with the close video release dates.
Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone here is assuming that a sub run house cannot give a quality presentation. I think the point so far is that if whoever is running things cares then a subrun house can be nice.

However, the sad fact is that the "It's just a dollar theater" mentality seems to be prevalent in most dollar theaters.

Like Tom said, same thing goes for first run theaters.

Matthew, nice swastika on your sign [Big Grin]

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While theatres make a nice sum in the concession stand, the box office income is not totally irrelevant. Otherwise you'd see all first run theatres selling tickets for a dollar. There is more money to be made in box revenue than many probably think. What do you think of some of these theatres that show FIRST run movies at $2.00? There are quite a few Cinemarks that do this. It helps to keep these theatres competitve when a new gigaplex comes into town.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-08-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two bargain theaters in my town, the Vaska (which is an older single screen theater) and the Cache 8, which used to be a first run house.

In this market the business is usually pretty spotty. Sometimes the parking lots will be filled, typically in early fall when some of the big summer movies are in sub run. But a lot of times they are empty.

At least in this market you don't have to spend $6 to rent a DVD (on average a 5 day rental from Blockbuster, Hollywood or Hastings will cost you $3.49 to $3.99). So I'm sure home video has to be taking a bite out of the revenues.

I think there is potential for bargain houses to have good show quality, but the only cases I typically see of that are in larger cities where a multiplex might have been built for bargain purposes in the first place. Many bargain houses I see are ones that used to be first run sites that were later downgraded to bargain status in the face of superior competition. That's what happened here anyway.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark's $1.50 Movies 12 seems to do very well here. Obviously I haven't done a scientific market survey, but my general impression is that a good chunk of their business is people who just flat out wouldn't pay full first-run price to see a movie, no matter what.

When Finding Nemo went subrun, they had it on 2 screens, and it did very well. And this was right around the time the DVD was out. Go figure.

They keep the place very clean -- I'll give them that. However, last time I was there, the presentation sucked. Come to think of it, the presentation there sucked 14 years ago when the place was brand new. But it's suckier now than it was then. They couldn't get a bright, steady image on the screen if their business depended on it (which apparently it doesn't). And the sound from the Peavey and UltraStereo audio equipment is weak, anemic, and totally unimpressive. [thumbsdown] (They do have DTS on 3 screens though, and they sound kind of sort of OK)

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, I'm Jewish, and half my family died in WW2 in a Nazis internment camp in Poland. So if you want to call me a Nazis, I’m ok with that, but I did not appreciate being called that. Thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: