Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning Cart vs Cleaning Stuff at every projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cleaning Cart vs Cleaning Stuff at every projector
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am faced with the more efficent option of having cleaning supplies at every projector or having the more cost effective "cleaning cart"....which would you choose and why? I'm at a 14 screen and i require my staff to do a fair amount of daily cleaning on each projector.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-07-2004 08:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a little bit of both.

In the "bin" at each projector is the following:
1. Lense Tissue
2. Bottle of lense cleaner
3. cup full of Q-Tips
4. Paintbrush
5. toothbrush
6. rag

Then, in a central location we have
1. GlassCleaner
2. 409
3. Film-guard
4. Paper Towels
5. Box of additional rags

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Shop rag and toothbrush at each projector, the rest in a centralized location. Assuming you are running film cleaners, you probably won't even touch the rag or toothbrush but maybe once a week.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-07-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens tissue and lens cleaner at each projector makes me fearful that the lenses are being cleaned too often. And the prospect that they actually need it is even scarier. The best thing you can do with a lens is to never touch it except blowing dust off of it.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 02:03 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said: "Lens tissue and lens cleaner at each projector makes me fearful that the lenses are being cleaned too often."

Also the same concern for Q-tips(tm): don't clean the optical sound without doing a Dolby alignment.

--jhawk

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also the same concern for Q-tips(tm): don't clean the optical sound without doing a Dolby alignment
umm...why? Assuming your last A-chain was done with clean optics, then all mechanical and electronic failures aside, dirty optics will always stand in the way of good reproduction...

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-08-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenses are cleaned once a week. All projectionists are trained how to do this properly.

Same goes for the soundhead. Since we started regularly cleaning them, the analog sound quality has improved.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-08-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the booth so dirty that your lenses need to be cleaned weekly?

No need to use the lens cleaner and lens paper that often. It should be sufficient to blow the dust off with a blower brush (available at camera stores; do _not_ use compressed air!). For the most part, the lens paper and lens cleaner fluid should be saved for cleaning off fingerprints and such, especially if you have newer (1960s and later) lenses which are coated (the coating can be removed with excessive cleaning).

In a multiplex, I vote for having a shop rag and toothbrush next to every machine. A central compressed air system (or, better yet, vacuum) is nice to have, too. Sprockets, gates, and traps should be cleaned between every show (with exceptions for theatres using FG).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The best thing you can do with a lens is to never touch it except blowing dust off of it."

Ouch! Thats a Bozo no-no!

Of course this is the equivelent of sandblasting a lens(literally). When I did lens repair at Canon USA we were taught to never blow off a lens with air. Large debris was removed first with a camels hair brush and then we used Kimwipes lightly wound around and slightly overhanging the end of a large tweezers. This was dipped into a solution of 40% MEk and 60 percent denatured alcohol. This is done in a circular motion starting from the center and working out and does require some practice to do it right. I still do it this way today and a lens can end up looking like new and is spotless and void of any dust for at lesat a while. If you ahev alot of elements to clean the MEK gives you a great high as a side bonus [beer] . Ah yes the gold ole days at Canon when they made fine lenses and cameras....but no longer.

Mark @ CLACO

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Is there a reason for the MEK/Alch. Mix?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
I believe the MEK helped it all to evaporate at an even rate...quite rapidly actually...also so there were no water droplets left behind fomr the alcohol. I never asked them about their proprietary mixture but if one just uses alcohol it leaves somewhat of a mess on the glass.

Mark

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all your input

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens Cleaning:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/white_papers/lens_cleaning.pdf

Be careful when using MEK -- it will dissolve some materials, especially plastics and adhesives. [Eek!] Likewise acetone.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Be careful when using MEK
It's also regulated as a carcinogen, & as having an inhalation toxicity of HIGH.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-11-2004 06:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MSDS for Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK):

http://www.astrochemicals.com/10080.pdf

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/msds/msds02850.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: