Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector speed issues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Projector speed issues
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finally dealing with my "projectors were running too fast" issue... I've got V-4s; had to install new motors awhile back...and everything was running about 2-3% too fast.

So: We installed Altivar Speed Drive Controllers last week... now I can dial in any speed I want (by varying the frequency to the motors).

Question: How accurate should I be? After fiddling around today, I've got the projector running at 24.1 fps. Is that "good enough"? Or should I keep adjusting?

Thanks,

Jeff

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At 24.1 fps you're already ahead of most of the rest of the world except telecine's running on synchronous motors. Hey, do you mean to tell me you were 2-3% too fast when I saw your 3-D setup?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-07-2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most V5's I've seen run 2-3% fast, so if you've improved on that with your V4's, I'd say your doing alright. Afterall, you're within 0.5% now -- only 15 seconds gained over an hour.

Now if you've got time on your hands to spend...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-08-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton projectors without the 3-phase motors also run a bit fast.

Steve

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 01:18 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a "spec" for this? That is, how close are most studio screening rooms? Or the Motion Picture Academy? I want to be as right as I can... no point in having a private screening room if one cannot obsess about details...

Jeff: I can't recall if you saw 3-D at our room before or after we burned out a motor...

Jeff

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 01:55 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused -- why is it hard to reach 24.0fps with your system? Insufficient resolution in the frequency adjustment? or lack of a strobe/photocell/oscope?

(I think that hitting it to 3 significant figures is proably what you want to shoot for; in an optimal world).

Probably a better way to look at it, though, is what your maximum frequency error is. Some quick googling suggests that an average human can detect approx. a 2 Hz difference around 400 Hz. So shooting for 1 Hz accuracy sounds good. 402Hz/400Hz is 0.5%, though 4002/4000Hz is 0.05%. If we assume the former is good enough (i.e. absolute Hz difference a human can detect falls off with frequency), then 0.5% of 24fps is 0.12fps.

In short, your 24.1fps is probably good enough for 2 Hz accuracy,
but not for 1 Hz accuracy.

If you get to 24.0fps (i.e. as much as 0.05fps off), that's 0.2%, or 0.9Hz at 400Hz and 9Hz at 4000Hz.

So, again, I would shoot for 24.0fps, which is barely under 1Hz error, but anything +- 1.2fps is probably good enough for most people.

--jhawk

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not difficult; time consuming. No, I don't have a strobe, so the only way to check it is to have a specific length of film and time it... at this point, I'm just curious what "spec" is, that's all. I agree that 24.1 fps will never be noticed by anyone...

Jeff

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff: gotcha...measurement methodology. Do use Newton's Method of successive approximation so you don't waste too much time with bad guesses.

But best is to find a way to measure the speed in real-time. If a strobe is unavailable, also consider either a loop or short reel of a known-frequency audio track (e.g. 1k tone) with a frequency counter, or grab a photocell and a multimeter that reads frequency and put it after the shutter. Or a tachometer on a shaft. Or a shaft encoder+oscope if you're set up for dubbers. There are lots of ways [Smile]

If you don't have any of those tools, remember that photocells are only a few cents each.

--jhawk

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-08-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the easiest way. Print this out, and tape it to one of the sprockets (4 and 8 frame sprockets). Look at it under a florescent light, and adjust the speed til the pattern appears stationary... then you're at 24.00 fps (180 or 360 rpm shaft speed, actually).

-

Be nice if sprockets came with these patterns etched in. (Bevan?)

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't print-out .. all I get is the ILLEGAL PICTURE!!! thingy. [Confused] I'd like to try it on my setup too.

Ron Yost

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-08-2004 01:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just right click and select "Save Picture As". Once it's on your computer, you can print it out.

And, if you can't right-click for whatever reason, the image is most certainly in your cache.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tim, but that's not how it works .. on my machine with IE6, at least.

What's in the cache is "showpic.cgi ..." etc., with framestrobe.jpg at the end of the code. If I then copy that to another folder it turns into "showpic[1].jpg" which is the pic, though renamed somehow.

Perhaps there's a setting in IE I need to change, but it seems odd to me that FilmTech is the only site I've encountered that behaves this way.

Oh well .. I did get it to work and found my Brenkert is running a tad fast. Thanks for posting the dial, Tim. [Smile]

Ron Yost

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-08-2004 02:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing, Ron. No problems right-clicking IE 6 here.

You can make stroboscopic discs for anything you want to check the speed of (I made this one in Adobe Illustrator). The formula is:

Bars = F x 2 x 60/rpm

Where,
F is the frequency of light used to view the bars in Hz.
rpm is rotation of the object in revolutions per minute.

If you come up with a value that requires a huge number of bars on the disc, you can divide it into even multiples to cut them down.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, thats a good laugh...really hilarious.....all these years you've been running at the wrong speed???? [Big Grin] [sleep] [Eek!] [Confused] [Roll Eyes]
I guess thats what you get for running those POC.

Tim,
Bevan will be simply distributing the Kinoton stuff for projectors. We certainly don't need another belt driven wonder out there much less ANOTHER projector on the market.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most projectors run off speed slightly all one has to do is try to run an interlock on two old Simplex or RCA or century soundheads with asyncronus motors and watch one running faster than the other to see the differences
In fact speed differences was one of the origial concerns with digital audio sound

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: