Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mounting a cleaner on a strong platter

Author Topic: Mounting a cleaner on a strong platter
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 10:03 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having some problems lately with the film riding on the outside flange of a roller when using a film cleaner, so I figured out a way to mount it to the platter where it would be impossible to come off of the roller.

This is a kelmar cleaner and a strong ap3 platter.

Question is: where would the best place to mount it be? If I put it in the feed path then there is too much tension and it engages the wrap detector. On the take up side there is a lot more tension and I read in another thread that you could scratch the film on the media pads if there was too much tension.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-06-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need the "AW3" bracket and to tap 2 holes into the side of the tree. Mounted in the AW3 fashion, the tension isn't too great to cause malfunction of the wrap sensor. Do note there is a fairly exact sweet spot where the cleaner is happy on the tree. Next time I have a chance I'll stop by and show you. Perhaps I'll make a bigger tips page on how to improve Strong platters (breakdown clutch, cleaner mount, brains, etc.)

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you have a picture of the AW3 bracket?

The mock up that I made tonight was pretty simple jsut using the projector mounting bracket and using an L bracket to attach it to the platter. I really need to do it without buying anything.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually use the cleaner, both, on the platter and on top of the projector. I have a bracket in both places. I put it in either place depending on my mood. I suppose I could put two cleaners on if the film was really dirty. [Wink]

My platter bracket is mounted on the payout side at the vertical part of the "square root" symbol. I don't have a wrap detector on my Potts platter. Does the cleaner really put that much tension on the film?

For the projector bracket, I'm with you on the part about the possibility of the film jumping off the rollers. I attack that problem by putting an extra roller in the film path to keep it steady.

-

Not only that, the extra roller helps keep the film path between the upper magazine roller and the projector the same whether or not the cleaner is mounted on the projector.

I find that keeping the film path well aligned is pretty important in keeping the film from jumping off the cleaner whether it's mounted on the projector or platter.

The similar rule applies when running the film through a digital reader... Film path is key.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-06-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out I do have a few pics.

-

-

And of course if you want to improve on those pesky brains...

-

...just add some CHRISTIE rollers! [Big Grin]

-

-

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 11:11 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

That looks like a very creative idea. I wonder how much increased tension youre getting because we all know the Strong platter is horrible for this.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-06-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also got a nice modification to the ridiculous "upside down" payout arm in the brain. (As if anyone ever forgets to pay the gravity bill and the film floats upward and out of there.) I'll post them if I can find some pictures.

In the meantime, just make your own "keeper rollers"! [thumbsup]

-

-

-

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even think about that. Great idea(the keeper roller), it will be alot easier to modiy the cleaners than all the platters.

I think I'm also going to add the extra roller as suggested by Randy. That is the main problem, my guys are too lazy to adjsut the roller when putting on or taking off a cleaner.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-06-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you shouldn't have to readjust the upper magazine roller whether the film cleaner is there or not. Sounds like they weren't set up properly in the first place. Easily corrected.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about that when lookingat Randy's picture. Looks like his goes straight up probably with the roller at a right angle. Mine are further forward and the rollers are angled, that's always bugged me a bit.

After you mentioned modifying the strong brains to me a while back, I spent about seven hours figuring out a super extremely complex way to do it and then I saw how simple it is to do.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we once did forget to pay our "gravity bill". back when we had american beauty. i opened the booth door and did a double take when i saw the film just riding right over the brain (aw-3r). before i could do anything, it jammed. i wish i'd walked in 2 seconds earlier and seen exactly how the film jumped out of the brain. there was no damage on the film itself (other than what resulted from the jam) to indicate a cause. never happened again.

and this isn't the booth with the ghost.

carl

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-07-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Straight up!

-

The trick is getting that roller at just the right angles.
It's not a perfect 90º. It's cocked a bit. Standing facing the projector, it would be cocked just a hair bit toward you and down.

You have to fart around with it until you get it so the film path doesn't change whether or not the cleaner is installed. It's not quite as critical when the cleaner is mounted on the platter but the same principal applies.

PS: Brad, I like the Christie rollers on the Strong/Potts brain. Any idea when you're going to post the plans for that mod?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: