Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Archival Prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Archival Prints
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are archival prints? I've run more than a few. They come with very specific instructions...that the heads and tails may not be cut, not run on automated equipment, that the projectionist be present at all times, absolutely NO damage of any kind and if there is, expect to pay a LOT of money. None of the ones I've run had been through a projector before, and looked much better on the screen than the typical new print. Most come from and return to a different address than other prints that come from the studio. What is the normal purpose of them, are they really special prints or what?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 06:53 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your post answers its own question. Keep'em off platters and they are more apt to remain in good shape longer. No, not because platters are inherently bad but because the realities of the real world out there. Especially on a print that is going to visit many theatres. Building & unbuilding over and over with the way many people treat film is a nightmare for any print.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-06-2004 07:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, what does it cost to make a one-off print (EK print, probably) from an older negative? I know that the mass-produced prints are usually under $.10/foot for lab costs (~$1500 or so for a print), but I assume that one-off prints are significantly more. Assume that the print doesn't need to be re-timed (hence, no need for a new answer print, etc.).

For a recent screening of an archive print of Silent Running, Universal required that we insure the print for $5000. I'm curious if the print actually cost that much to make. It was a beautiful print from Foto-Kem on acetate base 5386. It had handmade Clint Phare cues, so I assume that it was an EK print.

The only strange thing is that they wanted it returned heads-out, which seems odd. I can only guess that it was an attempt to discourage people from running it off of shipping reels.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 07:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any guess why they would choose acetate over polyester? I would think for that kind of special venue print, they would want to avoid the possibility of VS attacking it in the future. Of course tri-acetate survives brakage a lot better....nice clean tears when it is pulled beyond its tinsel strength -- a blessing in the event of a mishap. Where as we know what happens when poly is pulled....it ain't a pretty sight mama.

I bet with the insurance of $5000 on a print that cost, what, $2000 at most, Universal accountants were wishing a 24 wheeler would run over it while in your possession, Scott.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 07:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they should be disappointed that I sent it back in perfect condition (save for a light base scratch in part of one reel that was there when I got the print). The odd thing was that the actual print rental cost was cheaper than the usual rental fee for similar titles.

I'm sure that there's a cost to retrieve the neg from the vault, inspect it, make timing corrections (and maybe print test footage) for overall fading that might exist, etc. I still have a hard time believing that it cost $5k to make that print, though. Maybe John P. or someone else familiar with lab procedures can tell us what is actually involved in making such a print.

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the most significant factor in the "value" of an archival print is that many cannot be replaced at any cost.

Dye tranfer prints, older black and white titles created when the print stock had a higher content of silver, and 70mm prints from negs which have not been recently printed can be extremely expensive.

A couple of years ago, someone at Universal had the last viable 70mm print of Spartacus shipped to a theatre for a single day's booking without realizing what was in store.

The "projectionist" ran one machine with the 35 rollers in place and the other with the rollers properly removed, leaving lovely green railroad tracks on every other reel.

Since the neg had last been printed at a facility which has since stopped printing large format, the cost for a single print, once timing is properly set was over one hundred thousand dollars.

This holds true for 35 prints which must be created from negs held in storage and which also be correctly set up and timed. The initial corrected print of a 35 feature can easily hit 15-20 thousand if done properly.

RAH

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 08:52 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would hope that, given this initial setup expense, the studio would be wise enough to strike a number of prints for the very eventuality of unexpected damage like you described. I presume that subsequent prints would be less expensive if made at the same time.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure that there's a cost to retrieve the neg from the vault, inspect it, make timing corrections (and maybe print test footage) for overall fading that might exist, etc. I still have a hard time believing that it cost $5k to make that print, though. Maybe John P. or someone else familiar with lab procedures can tell us what is actually involved in making such a print.
It really varies, depending mainly on what you're making that print from. If a full-scale preservation job has been done by an archive and they have a set of preservation master elements made from whatever original elements they acquired, then it's simply a case of striking a print from the interneg and (if applicable) soundtrack neg. This will be a considerably more expensive than a new release print of a major title would be, simply because of the economies of scale which apply if you're only doing one. I would have a hard time believing that a 8,000 foot (90 mins approx.) b/w print would cost $5k, but for a three-hour long colour print with subtitles that figure would represent a bargain.

If full-scale preservation work has not been done, then an archive is looking at carrying it out as you describe. In this scenario the cost and time involved in arriving at a print can skyrocket. But, as Robert points out, the issue often isn't as simple as that.

quote:
Probably the most significant factor in the "value" of an archival print is that many cannot be replaced at any cost.
Imagine a scenario in which an archive acquires the cut camera neg, various intermediate and sound elements, plus an original release print in reasonable condition. Let's say for argument's sake that it's a 1950s acetate IB print with minimal VS, nowhere near autocatalytic. Given the archive's spending priorities, it decides not to create preservation dupes immediately. Instead, the originals and intermediates go into temperature and humidity-controlled vaults under a 'master status' rule, i.e. they can only come out to be duped. The print, however, is put into circulation.

That print is stored in a cool, dry vault when not in use; it's probably been ultrasonically cleaned and has certainly been carefully examined and minor repairs carried out by an archive technician. So the consequences of writing it off in a projection booth accident really are very serious. If it's the only surviving release print known to be extant, then that film cannot be seen again until archive funds permit a full-scale preservation job and a new print to be made. The bill for that can easily top $50k for a 90-minute black-and-white film.

That having been said, I do not support the 'no platters under any circumstances' rule, for two reasons. Firstly, it discourages archives from building a relationship with the arthouse cinemas they supply to ensure high quality print handling and presentation. Access officers tend to get into the mindset of thinking 'well, just as long as they're not using a platter, everything's fine.' Never mind the fact that their two-projector installation is badly maintained, the running spools are bent and have sharp edges, the projectors piss oil all over the place... just as long as the evil turntables are nowhere in sight, everything's fine. Secondly, a carefully handled print shown from the platter will not receive any more wear and tear than one run on changeovers, IMHO. Though I admit, the risk factor is higher - misthread a single reel and you've only damaged 2,000 feet, but misthread a platter and there goes the whole print.

But there are circumstances where it's not really a problem. I'm thinking about a film festival in a temporary venue which quite simply cannot equip itself for changeovers, and a title of which the archive has more than one reasonably good print. Sometimes the access officers of major archives tend to lose sight of the fact that their institutions preserve films for people to see, and I feel strongly that a screening should only be refused on technical grounds if, after weighing up all the relevant factors - not just whether it's going to be run on a platter or not - there is a significant risk of damaging a rare or unique viewing copy.

Related to which, there was a panel at last year's Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) conference, chaired by Katie Trainor of the Jacob Burns Center in New York (the others were John, Matt Kunau, Chapin Cutler, Anne Morra of MOMA and yours truly), discussing this very question. It provoked what I thought was a very interesting and constructive discussion on the technical presentation of archive prints. The conference organisers did video it, and I hope that the tape will eventually be available to the AMIA membership and beyond.

quote:
A couple of years ago, someone at Universal had the last viable 70mm print of Spartacus shipped to a theatre for a single day's booking without realizing what was in store.
The last viable print of your restoration? There's one in the UK, or at least there was one last summer, when Darren last showed it at City Screen. There were a few tramlines on it and the reel ends were a bit tatty, but it was certainly watchable.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-06-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "archival" prints I've received were all new, unused, some on acetate but most on polyester. We last ran "House of Wax" 3D three years ago with one of these. The color, sharpness and general appearance was incredibly better than previous prints and those were all good prints. The most noticable difference was that it was not as dark. The side by side images seemed to be little less dark so that the overlaid picture was about right. W.B. also provided a small roll to use for set-up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-06-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,

First off...I've yet to see the installation that couldn't put in 2-projectors for festival.

I do support the stance that no "archival print" will be allowed on a platter. If your venue chooses to run these types of prints then have 2-projectors...it really is that simple and quite honestly not THAT costly.

I agree with you that just because one has 2-projectors that does not guarantee the print will be safe. For me, it falls into the "necessary but not sufficient" category when dealing with archival or rare prints. And I mean 2000' reels; not any sort of building up with these prints. They should always have that "new" feel to them.

One of the issues with the platter theatres is the cutting of the heads/tails and how that operation is carried out and how they are returned. There are numerous discussions here on just what is good enough on build ups and tear downs and how heads and tails are to be removed and re-attached. All of those discussions and opinions are moot if there is a 2000-foot (600m) reel clause. There simply is zero cutting of anything.

Now a theatre that has shown itself to damage prints should also be denied films regarless of how many projectors they have pointing at the screen.

Steve

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timely topic...given these enormous costs - and I know I'm stepping on eggshells when I say this - but is this an area where digital will have a role in the future?

It seems more viable (if not necessarily that cheaper)to project from a digital source ultimately derived from a 2K or 4K master also used for DVD re-release, TV showings etc.

On the other hand, if we want to continue screening film on film, are there ways of reducing these penal costs in terms of materials restoration and handling? Is there a project that could be initiated to deal with this and come up with innovative solutions?

What happens in the projection room of course is a priority for everyone.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-07-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how digital would help. My understanding is that it costs upwards of $100-150k to produce a digital master which is suitable for theatrical projection with DLP. That's pretty expensive when compared with the $2-5k (or more, occasionally) per 35mm print that might have to be made once every few years.

Also, I would think that the people who normally attend repertory film screenings are not the kind of people who would have any interest in watching "films" screened using (essentially) a big-screen TV.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 04:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If and when things get to the point of being able to make a 4k digital master, and projecting it, for the same or less money than doing the same thing using film, then digital might be able to help. I think most of us are convinced that this ain't going to happen in the immediate short-term, though.

quote:
I do support the stance that no "archival print" will be allowed on a platter. If your venue chooses to run these types of prints then have 2-projectors...it really is that simple and quite honestly not THAT costly.
I agree that in most cases it is technically possible to do. That having been said though, I once did run some festival screenings in a university student union 'cinema' (i.e. a dual-use lecture theatre): the projection box was a broom cupboard that barely fitted the projector, tower and workbench, and getting a second machine in there would have been just impossible without major building work. But a more common scenario is a multiplex which agrees to give a few of its screening slots over to festival screenings or one-off cultural events. Its operators are almost always going to lose money by doing so, and if they are ordered to lose even more money by installing a second projector, they'll probably walk away.

In this scenario I think you need to weigh up the potential risk to a print vs. the cultural benefit of screening an archive title to an audience who might not otherwise have the opportunity of seeing it. Their taxes pay for the public sector moving image archives, too. If I were an archivist in that sitaution I would probably not allow a rare or unique print to be run there (e.g. a '50s IB print). But if we were talking about one that is replaceable, then I would check the venue out and if their film handling and maintenance standards appeared to be high, I'd want to allow the screening. One way of getting round the heads and tails issue might be to ask that the venue leaves them on when making up the print, and douses the picture for 30 seconds or so in between each reel. That's not ideal, but better than vetoing the show, IMHO.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2004 04:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The National Film Theatre recently did a few screenings of 'classic' films on digital. I wasn't able to get to see them, but the promotional material was along the lines of 'It's often very difficult to find good prints of the films we want to show, if they were available in digital form ...'. Of course, there was no mention of who is going to transfer all these old films to digital, nor who is going to pay for it.

Making a *good* digital transfer, especially of an old film, where the available elements may be problematical, is never going to be a trivial matter; it's always going to involve a lot of work, and therefore it's always going to be expensive. Setting aside a few good prints of a film, and keeping them in good condition for festival screenings is a heck of a lot cheaper. Even a few thousand pounds to make a one-off print, is going to be a lot cheaper.

Which old films are worthy of the digital conversion? Who makes that decision, and on what criteria?

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2004 09:51 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the major problems with the distribution of classic films in a digital format is that, unlike what we consider to be "archival" prints, meaning a print which has either survived from the original release, or re-printed from a proper dupe (or original) negative which has been approved by someone involved in the production...

more and more as we lose the original directors, DPs, art directors, etc. and the studios or rights holders tend to be extremely lax in regard to the creation of new dupes without any sort of reference...

these new digital entities would have very little (or no) relevance to the original work as created.

There are already too many video and lab technicians who feel that they are somehow prepared, or are authorities in the re-creation of the original look and feel of a work, without having the slightest idea what they are doing.

I fear that we are going to see many, many more throngs of townspeople rushing through towns with raised torches in broad daylight, and cars driving with their lights on during a sunny noon.

One of the most important aspects of an archival print is authenticity allowing a modern audience to view that same film (properly re-printed) as was viewed half a century ago or more.

RAH

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: