Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » General Electric P9000

Author Topic: General Electric P9000
Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 08:16 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen a General Electric P9000 projector.

A guy rang me & asked if we had a manual for one.

He had picked it up from a privet collector.

I asked him if it was 35 or 70 mm, but he did not know as he had not seen a projector before ( You can see where this conversation was going.)

After asking him a few questions he told me that there was a lead coming from it which had

VGA stamped on it.

It was in a flight case 1 M x 1.5 M x 80 cm

Sounds like a old monster to me but who knows

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the P9000 is a GE Talaria light valve projector. These are touchy beasts to say the least but are capable of large, bright projected images with awful colorimetry assuming it is a color model...there were B&W versions too capsble of very high resolution. It would certainly be nice to know that one has survived for a museum piece! The forunner to the GE was the Ediphor which was one of the most amazing video projectors ever devised. Both had similar workings except the color GE's did color decoding/scanning an entirely different way than Ediphor.
Mark @ CLACO

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The name of the Beast is "Eidophor", and more can be found here:

http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/eidophor.htm

http://pyanczer.home.mindspring.com/Tour/eidophor.html

Here's a picture of an Eidophor machine at the London Odean Leicester Square:

http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/eidophor_3.htm

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early 1990's, the Rochester section SMPTE had a tour of the General Electric plant near Syracuse NY, and a presentation and demo of the Talaria projector. Dr. William Glenn was one of the key inventors. General Electric is gone now, and Lockheed Martin does defense work at the plant. I seem to recall the demo had tiny "bubbles" occasionally floating through the image.

Here's a tutorial "white paper" on electronic projection technology by Texas Instruments:

http://www-en.enseeiht.fr/enseigne/tsi/tvnum/display/titj03.pdf

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

The employes that ran the G.E. Talaria division bought it from G.E. and ran it for some time but I don't know if it is still in operation or not. The bubbles were in the oil film that circulated over the target that the electron beam scanned...similar but not exactly like the Ediphor Projector.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: