Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Storing vinegar syndrome film: Hazards?

Author Topic: Storing vinegar syndrome film: Hazards?
Patrick J. McCart
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Patrick J. McCart   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick J. McCart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I obtained a collection of safety film intros on 35mm (circa 1955-1965), but they seem to have some bad vinegar syndrome. Visually, the worst damage is color fading on the Eastman clips, but nothing else.

Any suggestions on how these should be stored? Can the decomposing film cause any kind of hazards?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-02-2004 07:01 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should be stored cool and dry --- reduced temperature and low humidity greatly slow vinegar syndrome, which is a chemical reaction that is dependent on moisture. You should also "exercise" (carefully rewind or project) the rolls to allow any trapped acid vapors to vent. Storage should be in well vented containers, in a storage area away from unaffected films that is well vented itself. Or you can use Molecular Sieves in a sealed container:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/technical/molecular.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/technical/vinegar.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/storage1.shtml

The acetic acid vapors released by advanced "vinegar syndrome" will accelerate dye fading, and the acid vapors can "infect" other films, so anything you do to vent or adsorb the acid vapors will help. Cool and dry storage also slows dye fading.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall what I've read in the past, a little Film-Gaurd will help control the development of VS as well as cleaning up those prints!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The acetic acid vapors released by advanced "vinegar syndrome" will accelerate dye fading, and the acid vapors can "infect" other films...
...which affects the decision as to whether to use vented cans, molecular seives or a combination thereof. An 'ideal' film archive would have a special isolation vault specifically for acetate elements which an acidity detector (a/d) strip indicates have reached the autocatalytic point (pH 4). This would have air filtration which removes acetic vapour and the elements would be stored in vented cans. However, a lot of even relatively well-funded archives can't go that far, and have to store stable and autocatalytic elements in the same vault. In these circumstances you would normally store the stable elements in sealed cans with sieves and the seriously smelly ones in vented cans. That way, the offgases produced by the worst elements won't infect those in better shape.

Queries from private film collectors about preservation issues seem to come up quite frequently on Film-Tech now: might it be worth knocking up a FAQ page and sticking it in the manuals section? I'm sure most of it could be done quite quickly by copying and pasting bits of previous threads followed by some minor editing, and would be willing to spend an hour or two over the weekend on it if people think it might be useful...

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the above information is correct, but above all VENTILATE effectively and continuously, exercise as noted above, and do not store near uncontaminated film. FWIW, in my own experience with VS I haven't noticed a major problem with color fading (perhaps you're noticing that color fading and VS coincidentally occur in older acetate film). Most of the effect of VS will be in the form of cupping, ribboning, and shrinkage which will ultimately render it unusable, or at the least will drive you crazy with focus problems. Film-Guard may help in cleaning off the acidic product and certainly hides the smell, but if it has reached the autocatalytic stage nothing will really stop it despite rampant claims from the new producer of VitaFilm to the contrary.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I think that colour fading is more specific to the emulsion type than storage conditions, especially if you're faced with an element which has been stored goodness knows where and for decades before it came into your possession. Everyone knows that '60s and '70s combined coupler stocks go pink as buggery; earlier combined coupler stocks fade to various different shades over a variable timescale; and Kodachrome is bulletproof (apart from 1935-38 Kodachrome, which also goes pink). I couldn't explain the chemistry behind these observations for the life of me, but from opening hundreds of rusty old cans and examining the contents I'd argue that this is a pretty good rule of thumb. But whatever sort of element you're dealing with now, the same conditions will always inhibit further fading and/or decomposition: the cooler and drier, the better.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 07:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In doing accelerated testing using Arrhenius predictions to evaluate the effectiveness of Molecular Sieves, we found that the lower pH caused by the acid by-products of "vinegar syndrome" definitely had an adverse effect on dye stability, mostly of the yellow and cyan dye classes. In the paper I gave at the SMPTE conference, we noted the significant improvement in dye stability when using Molecular Sieves.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: