Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which would you buy DTS-6D or DTS-6AD? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which would you buy DTS-6D or DTS-6AD?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without causing a battle over formats [Big Grin] I would like to know which DTS unit everyone prefers.
It seems on the surface the DTS-6AD is the better buy. Since it contains both the processor and the booth monitor.
But I'm sure there are many other opinions and gotchas. Please let'm fly. [beer]

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God no don't buy the 6AD! It's analog handling is unbelieveably bad. If you specifically want the dts format over Dolby Digital, just get yourself a dts6-D (or an XD-10) and a quality processor.

Personally, I would recommend you look into a Dolby CP-650 as an all-in-one combo. Had I reviewed the 6AD, it would've probably scored something along the lines of a D rating. You can do so much better, and even cheaper if you need elsewhere.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-02-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the DTS-6D. team it up with a CP-65 and you'll have one good setup.

Josh

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-02-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll 3rd it! Brad is on target about the analog section of the 6AD.

Also, the Booth Monitor section is soooo underpowered it's basically useless if a projetor is running.

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-02-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't you considering Dolby?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-02-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd actually lean towards the XD-10. SMART right now has a deals going on the Panastereo CSP-1200 packaged with either a DTS-6D or the XD-10.

Steve

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-02-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just knew Steve would chime in [Big Grin]

JJ

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll play the devils advocate and ask, why should I care about the DTS-6ad's poor analog processing, when I plan to only use analog for rare backup? I'm just asking. [Smile]

Manny, because of budget. Dolby would cost me about $16,000 more for 3 screens of digital. These are relatively small house's in a relatively small town. Budget is limited. And with my limited experience, to me DTS provides just as good or better "dynamic" sound experience.

Steve, Brad, anyone else, please educate me as to why the XD-10 is a better choice over the 6d. I've read the manual for the XD-10, sounds like a neat toy. But I'm not keen on adding the hard drive into the failure equation. We don't do a lot of film swapping from auditorium to auditorium, so that limits the plus of storing sound tracks on the HD. Or am I missing the bigger picture here?

And as far as it's video capabilities, DTS lacks in explaining why I want or need this? What is the price dif over the 6d? Does the price of it put it into Dolby territory?

My experience with hard drives over the years has not given me a warm fuzzy feeling about relying on them for sound presentation. They give me enough fits just selling tickets. [Big Grin]

Thank you to everyone replying to this thread.
I really (always) appreciate the opinions.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Why should you care about DTS poor analog backup. Lets see we had 4 released movies at my theatre this past summer that were Dolby Digital only so that would be a good starting point. If all you have is DTS and the AD players at that and you ended up with 3 movies that are Dolby Digital only then you will have 3 houses with really crappy analog sound.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William
Point taken.
I had not run into prints without DTS.
Hey, I've got lots to learn. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-03-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a good sounding analog backup is extremely important. There will be times you don't get discs, or they won't track properly or got crushed in those new joke DVD style cases (close to half of the ones I've seen have come in broken).

You could buy a dts6-d player and pick up an older sound processor used (or new) and save a lot of money over the 6-AD and have a far better sounding end result.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6AD is up there with the Sony DFP1000 and 3000. Its really a piece of junk to say the least. Go the 6D or better yet buy a used DTS 6 cheaply as its the best of the stand alone DTS players.

The analog backup should be almost as good in sound quality as your digital playback is(yes, this is easy to accomplish) so that when there is a reversion to analog there is hardly any discernable difference. Today that means going with a Panastereo CSP-1200 and BACP reader...which is about the finest analog playback you can get. The CSP-1200 also has facilities for 3 digital sources!!

Mark @ CLACO

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-03-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original DTS-6 model seems to be the best built of the bunch. Our Carmike theater here still has their original two DTS-6 units from when the placed opened in 1994. Both have operated for over 9 years now without any problems.

The XD-10 is a pretty cool piece of hardware. But a lot of its capability is sadly going unused. I haven't heard a word about any future films using the 8 or 10 channel capability of the system. The thing is even extensible; you could play a lot more than 10 channels of sound with the upgrades that are possible. My guess is the real muscle of the XD-10 may eventually be seen in special venue theaters.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2004 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XD-10's real merit and computing power lies in the fact that as it sits is can playback 96 khz/24 bit DTS discs. This will most likely be the next evolution that film sound will go in the not to distant future. Of course the big "d" will have to scurry to counter this ability. I wonder how they would fit that in between sprocket holes.
The XD-10 does not need any internal modification as did the 6 and the 6D to playback Special Venue disks.
Mark @ CLACO

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-04-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Today that means going with a Panastereo CSP-1200
Somehow I knew you would say that.
Unfortunately, I haven`t had the opportunity yet to hear one of these processors except for once in Buffalo, but it was playing an older movie with dialog only. I would really like to check a system based on this processor. Does anyone know where they are installed in the San Diego or Los Angeles area?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: