Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Famous Players Policy Trailers (Circa 1999)

Author Topic: Famous Players Policy Trailers (Circa 1999)
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everybody!

Back when FAMOUS PLAYERS had their "Big Screen! Big Sound! Big Deiiference!" marketing campaign, they had the most awesome policy trailers I had ever seen. There was nothing special to these, except that I really liked them.

Here's what happened in each of them:
COMING ATTRACTIONS:
It was a space setting with a silver line in the middle of the screen. This line was a little thick and did not extend from the left to right side. It then would start flipping up to reveal the FAMOUS PLAYERS logo and name. Under neath, the letters to "COMING ATTRACTIONS" would appear, one by one. That was this ad basically.

FEATURE PRESENTATION:
It was a space setting again, except it would rise from black, and "BIG SCREEN" would zoom in and pass, followed by "BIG SOUND" doing the same thing. After both flew past, the FAMOUS PLAYERS logo and name would fly in to centre screen, closer to the top, and "BIG SCREEN" "BIG SOUND" would fly in underneath, and stop under the name. It would hold on this for a couple seconds and then fade out.

I know someone out there can help me, and I would be so happy. I'm looking for film copies of this, or computer copies (like an .AVI or .MPG).

Does anyone know what the official name for these series were? Any other information that can be added?

Thank you so much! (YOU ROCK!)

|  IP: Logged

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
I doubt that Famous released these snipes publicly as most companies wouldnt do. I do agree with you that the older policies were alot better than the new ones. The new ones are too plain for me. The older ones were definitely more distinct to the company. Unless someone had a 35mm copy of one and did a transfer, I dont see you getting your hands on an mpeg version anytime soon.

In my opinion, the Cineplex Feat. Presentation snipes were the best ones I had ever seen. I dont just say this because I work for the company but they were the most creative. A little after Onex took over, we were issued a new version with "An Onex Company" at the bottom instead of "A Loews Cineplex Company". I like the new ones as well but nothing beats the old ones with the countdown and the gunshot at the end. I wonder if you've seen these before, because you've mentioned a few Odeon cinemas in your area.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 02:53 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of related to this, I was able to find a site that has the old General Cinema Candy Band trailers for download, but the link never works to download the file. I have a copy of Candy Band on 35mm that I'd love to play in my home theater, but I have no idea how to get that transfered to video. Is it even kosher to transfer the trailer for my own use, considering GCC is no longer in business. Thoughts?

AJG

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 02:59 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, if you had a real home theater...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-01-2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it even kosher to transfer the trailer for my own use, considering GCC is no longer in business.
That makes it easier.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
I know that the new FAMOUS snipes are in .mpeg on http://www.topix.com as this company designed this. It never really caught my attention. I hope FAMOUS changes these soon.

Also, I love the Cineplex ones too. The 'flying curtains' as I call it and the bullet one is very cool. We only have an eight-plex Cplex now, plus the Odeon Drive-In (do they have any other drive-ins left?) which has a short season.

Anyone know if new snipes for Cplex will be released following the recent Galaxy/Cplex Odeon merger?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A little after Onex took over, we were issued a new version with "An Onex Company" at the bottom instead of "A Loews Cineplex Company".
You know, you could have just scratched in "An Onex Company" underneath "A Loews Cineplex Company" and have been totally accurate. I think "An Onex Company" would have looked good in green.

quote:
Anyone know if new snipes for Cplex will be released following the recent Galaxy/Cplex Odeon merger?
"Cut loose" would be more accurate than "merger". I wouldn't expect any new company snipes any time soon.

quote:
the Odeon Drive-In (do they have any other drive-ins left?)
One of the last Cineplex Odeon drive-in's in Fonthill, Ontario (near St. Catherines / Niagara Falls) was purchased from Cineplex Odeon about two and a half years ago.

CinemaTour: Can-View Drive-In Theatre

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like I told Andrew in a PM, we were told the other day that they would be sending out new ones soon and seeing as Galaxy has a cool look to it, hopefully the new ones are somethin to talk about!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's surprising! Neither company has a reputation of being a big spender. [Smile]

Free snipes are often hard to come by.

If the new Cineplex Odeon snipes are anything like the Galaxy Cinemas snipes, make sure everything is well secured to your booth walls. [Big Grin]

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 09:00 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe C-O still operates a few large drive-in's in Quebec.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-01-2012 12:04 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2918 days since the last post.

Elie Barnes
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Elie Barnes   Email Elie Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i liked the older ones, it would be a cool dream to have some.
maybe if i won the lottery...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: