Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » having problem with aw3 platter

Author Topic: having problem with aw3 platter
Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the problem I am having is that the platter keeps spinning uncontrollably. Changed LED and motor card. I also changed the motor itself and it has no effect. Also, checked the cam and all seems well. Any advice would be great thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-31-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HMMM... That screams 'Shorted Motor' but you have changed the motor (by chance with a known good one??)

I would check the '$300 (make-up-mode) Switch' next and then the wiring at the LED unit.

Good Luck!

-Aaron

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the motor we switched it with was a known good motor that we pulled from a functioning platter. I will check out the make up switch shortly in hopes that this is the problem.

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, placing the motor in Make Up keeps the platter from running constantly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have put the end cap back on the arm after replacing the LED assy right.....? Leaving that off and stray light entering could launch that deck into orbit! Also be sure all the adjustments are followed correctly at least as per the manual.....don't just replace parts assuming that could be it. Check the resistance reading with the P.O. arm at 70 deg. and adjust for the proper reading(70K). If you are unable to get the correct 70K reading its possible the LED driver card may have failed. It is also possible that the new LED assy is also bad. Those photo cells are a bit delicate!! Check the nylon piece inside the swing arm assy near where the LED assy mounts to be sure it has not broken off. If memory serves me correctly this part breakling will not allow a given platter to stop completely. Checking this part pretty much entails removing the swing arm assy from the arm. Be sure the shutter disk is in there correctly and not broken or cracked and that it is not hitting the LED assy when it rotates.
Mark @ CLACO

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the help. I actually did replace the LED 3 seperate times, consequently I decided to try using an LED from another theatre after it got out, one that I absolutely knew worked fine, and it fixed the problem. I couldn't believe that all three of the LEDs that were listed as "new" that we tried were all bad, but they are infact all failing. Again, thank you all for the help.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-31-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I couldn't believe that all three of the LEDs that were listed as "new" that we tried were all bad, but they are infact all failing.
Apparently you haven`t ordered much from Christie yet. We once had 5 (five) bad igniters in a row.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reccomend that you rebuild those LED assys. yourself and save some money at the same time. You will know they are good the next time around! Total parts cost to rebuild one is about 5 bucks! I usually just do this right in the booth although I also carry several rebuilts in the van.
Mark @ CLACO

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, do you just replace the green LED's with one available from Radio Shack or what.

Do you also transfer the heat shrink from the bad to the good or just make a new one?

Thanks
Paul

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I don't remember if Rat Shack stocks that size LED or not....its sort of an inbetween size case. We get em at a local parts house here in SLC. Sometimes the heat shrink will slide right off of them and sometimes not. Good idea to have some extra around... The photo cell is available from Allied electronics and several other suppliers. The manufactutrers part number is right on the side of the cell. If you can't find the parts yourself we stock them all. Shameless plug...sorry!

Mark @ CLACO

CLACO Equipemnt And Service
1212 South State St.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84110
801-355-1250
Mark

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-01-2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the shaded disc is properly aligned.

Check for a cracked or chipped segment of the disc.

I've also encountered discs with bits of "shading" that managed to get peeled away.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: